Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

09-22-2020, 05:11 AM   #1
Yerfdog
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp 2020

DME Lock

Hi Guys,

Picked up my M4 comp and just had the bolt capture intalled.
I am looking to get BM3 for it but have checked my iLevel and found is is 2020 so locked?

I was told by the dealer that at some point in the past it had been remapped. I am sure it i not now as the dealer donw a full software update on it before i picked it up.

So, the question is. If has been been remapped in the past does that mean by DME has been unlocked?

Is there a way to check if the DME is unlocked before i spend out on the BM3?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 05:28 AM   #2
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yerfdog View Post
Hi Guys,

Picked up my M4 comp and just had the bolt capture intalled.
I am looking to get BM3 for it but have checked my iLevel and found is is 2020 so locked?

I was told by the dealer that at some point in the past it had been remapped. I am sure it i not now as the dealer donw a full software update on it before i picked it up.

So, the question is. If has been been remapped in the past does that mean by DME has been unlocked?

Is there a way to check if the DME is unlocked before i spend out on the BM3?

Thanks
Contact BM3 (pro tuning freaks) - they are pretty helpful guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 06:57 AM   #3
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

If BMW have done a full software update, this will re-lock the DMW, regardless of any previous state.
As SteveChester says, PTF are pretty good with support. I'd expect that their latest version will unlock the DME, regardless of istep level. But just ask them if it's not actually stated on their site/FAQ.
      09-22-2020, 07:13 AM   #4
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

What year is the car ?

My 2015 was mapped with BM3, I then had the software updated in October 2019 (with July 2019 software). BMW introduced the DME unlock blocking in March 2019 iirc.

I unlocked it fine when I got back home with BM3 again.

I think it's only 2018 onwards cars I think that get locked completely even if they were previously unlocked.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #5
JRM4C
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
What year is the car ?

My 2015 was mapped with BM3, I then had the software updated in October 2019 (with July 2019 software). BMW introduced the DME unlock blocking in March 2019 iirc.

I unlocked it fine when I got back home with BM3 again.

I think it's only 2018 onwards cars I think that get locked completely even if they were previously unlocked.
If BMW have done a update the car will reinstate the factory map and the DME will be locked again.

from August 2018 onwards the dme is restricted via the OBD for any sort of mapping, the dme needs to be pinned out via connection or opening the dme up to have a patch put in to allow the obd to communicate with the DME
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 08:07 AM   #6
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM4C View Post
If BMW have done a update the car will reinstate the factory map and the DME will be locked again.

from August 2018 onwards the dme is restricted via the OBD for any sort of mapping, the dme needs to be pinned out via connection or opening the dme up to have a patch put in to allow the obd to communicate with the DME
Yes but as I said, after the update I was able to unlock my DME again with bootmod3.

I believe the 2018 onwards cars, the DME can not be obd unlocked again even if they were previously unlocked before the software update.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
JRM4C
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM4C View Post

Yes but as I said, after the update I was able to unlock my DME again with bootmod3.

I believe the 2018 onwards cars, the DME can not be obd unlocked again even if they were previously unlocked before the software update.
[QUOTE=cossie1;26711430]Yes but as I said, after the update I was able to unlock my DME again with bootmod3.

I have a OPF F82 mate the car was indeed locked via obsolete on the DME but I had the car bench flashed using kess and Ktag to get it patched to run obd mapping
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
Yerfdog
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp 2020

Thanks guys,
I did ask them if they can unlock yet. No luck.

Mine is a 2019 car so sounds like i am out of luck.
Appreciate 0