Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

10-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
BSM4Comp
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Unhappy M4 Passenger Seat Issue

Hi all,

New to the forum!

I’ve had an issue with my BMW M4 Competition, the car is a year old and just last week I was gaining access to the rear of the car, I mechanically moved the ‘seat back’ forward and then used the “comfort entry” control switch on the shoulder of the seat to move it forward. As I was doing so I heard a loud crack, looking up, to my amazement, the seat had impacted the windscreen and cracked it!!

I took the car to my local dealer as there is evidently a fault with the seat and this should not happen. The dealer raised the issue with BMW who stated that it is not a fault and is not covered under warranty. If I would like them to fit a new windshield then it would be £1200+!!!

I have contested the issue and raised a complaint, also including (long story) the issues I’ve had being left carless at the service centre at 5:30pm on a Friday and lack of communication and general un-helpfulness.

I have today been told that “as a good will gesture” they will replace the windscreen, but they still claim there is no fault with the seat. I have checked the driver side and the seat will not touch the windscreen in any position. I feel that by replacing the screen but not fixing the seat, this is another accident waiting to happen again!! (I also had independent advice from a Windscreen Repair Centre, who told me it was 100% not a stone chip or crack and that it was the seat, which should definitely not touch the glass).

Does anyone have any experience with a similar issue, I have struggled to find anything on the internet. It would be great if any of you M4 owners would be able to check (very carefully!!) if your seat stops before the glass and maybe even photograph this! I don’t know anyone unfortunately with an M4 to compare but could possibly have a look if the dealership have an M4 in their showroom.

I’ve attached some photos, one which shows the position of both of the seats with the electrical selector fully up and full forward (the seats are in completely different positions!)

Video: https://streamable.com/15jk36

Many thanks!

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 06:28 AM   #2
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

That's terrible! There's no way this should happen. The automated slide forward should surely be programmed so this can't happen.

I'm 99.99% certain my passenger seat doesn't go that far forward. It's used often for rear access, using the button to slide it fully forward, as you have done. It stops just short of touching the sun visor.

When it eventually stops raining I'll go & check for you, with the seat at various heights. I'll be extra careful, just in case!
      10-06-2020, 06:56 AM   #3
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
I saw a Nick Murray video on YouTube a few years ago where he moved the seat forward and it broke the sun-visor.

totally a design fault - FFS BMW listen to your customers
Appreciate 2
PhatLyfe984.00
      10-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
willgill
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert, RS6

there are limits set within the coding, your car clearly didn't have the correct variables, for example I reduced my range to stop my seat killing my babies car seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack San Marino Blue

Garage List
As someone mentioned there is a known issue which the YouTuber Nick Murray mentioned in one of his videos.
It is that the passenger seat when tilted forward can damage the sunvisor vanity mirror.
A pal coming out of the back of my car did this to mine & it cracked mine. My dealer was aware of the design issue however it wasn't covered by the warranty.
I think my passenger seat may well touch the window also. I think the issue with the sunvisor mirror getting cracked by a tilted forward seat also depends on the height of seat is set at.
It's a dreadful design problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
BSM4Comp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
That's terrible! There's no way this should happen. The automated slide forward should surely be programmed so this can't happen.

I'm 99.99% certain my passenger seat doesn't go that far forward. It's used often for rear access, using the button to slide it fully forward, as you have done. It stops just short of touching the sun visor.

When it eventually stops raining I'll go & check for you, with the seat at various heights. I'll be extra careful, just in case!
That would be great if you could let me know the outcome! Hoping to go to the dealer showroom tomorrow to have a look at their M4. Annoyance is that the service centre isn’t part of the showroom but will give it a go anyway.

Thanks for your suggestions gents!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 02:17 AM   #7
liteyear
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335D MSport+ M Performance

Sun Visor

Did my sun visor, drivers side though. Dealer corrected under warranty for me. But it shouldn't happen period.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 03:42 AM   #8
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Right. I've had a good play with my passenger seat. I can get it to touch the sun visor (just). But can't get it closer than about 5cm to actually touching the windscreen, regardless of seat height & tilt.
I'd ask the dealer to reflash the seat module tbh. As you certainly can't be doing with the worry of this happening again every time the seat's put forward.
      10-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #9
BSM4Comp
Rep

Quote:
Right. I've had a good play with my passenger seat. I can get it to touch the sun visor (just). But can't get it closer than about 5cm to actually touching the windscreen, regardless of seat height & tilt.
I'd ask the dealer to reflash the seat module tbh. As you certainly can't be doing with the worry of this happening again every time the seat's put forward.
That’s really helpful mate, thanks very much!

Back down there tomorrow to collect the vehicle with new windscreen. If they haven’t fixed the seat and still claim there’s no fault, then once I’ve sorted out the hire car debacle, I’ll whizz around to the showroom where I’m certain they’ve still got an M4 in the showroom, and ask them to demonstrate the passenger seat for me!

So much hassle for what in my eyes is a simple problem, seat just needs troubleshooting and resetting or repositioning!
Appreciate 1
MattRST109.50
      10-08-2020, 02:40 AM   #10
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM4Comp View Post
Quote:
That’s really helpful mate, thanks very much!

Back down there tomorrow to collect the vehicle with new windscreen. If they haven’t fixed the seat and still claim there’s no fault, then once I’ve sorted out the hire car debacle, I’ll whizz around to the showroom where I’m certain they’ve still got an M4 in the showroom, and ask them to demonstrate the passenger seat for me!

So much hassle for what in my eyes is a simple problem, seat just needs troubleshooting and resetting or repositioning!
No probs