proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

04-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #1
.Tranceparent.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M3CS

3-day driving vacation recs

Hey all - Visiting from the M2C forums since there's a lot more activity here. Thinking of doing an3 day driving vacation with the wife around the area to hit some twisties, natural and man made wonders etc. Looking for suggestions from the crowd.. thoughts? Would be driving out of NJ, and really open to 5-6 hours of driving per day followed by activities etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 09:02 PM   #2
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Head down to the Blue Ridge Skyway. There are great roads there and the Tail of the Dragon is nice for a run or two.
      04-05-2021, 10:48 PM   #3
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

Not sure if by "around the area" you mean within reach of NJ (eg PA, CT, NY) or if you want to head further away. But if the former, in PA the area around Dushore, Eagles Mere and Laporte is pretty, some nice smooth less travelled and twisty climby roads along Loyalsock creek, bunch of covered bridges to drive through, and Worlds End State Park for a creek side picnic and hiking. If it's open by the time you do your trip the Eagles Mere air and auto museum is cool. Some pics and links to help you out.

https://www.eaglesmereautomuseum.com/

https://uncoveringpa.com/covered-bri...n-pennsylvania
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      04-06-2021, 05:20 AM   #4
.Tranceparent.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks, these are great. Definitely up for driving beyond NJ/NY/PA. I hear WV has some nice roads too?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 06:43 AM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

If someone who knows the roads could use Google Maps and create a series of waypoints they can use the Share Link and post it here. This way we have a list of routes to pick from!
      04-06-2021, 11:28 AM   #6
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

New Hope area, Bucks County PA. River Road is a great drive. Plenty of covered bridges and back roads off River Road in Upper Bucks County and lots of covered bridges. Also lots of bed and breakfast places in the area, historical sites and plenty of restaurants. You can make a nice weekend out of it.
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2021, 02:20 PM   #7
.Tranceparent.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphiveo View Post
New Hope area, Bucks County PA. River Road is a great drive. Plenty of covered bridges and back roads off River Road in Upper Bucks County and lots of covered bridges. Also lots of bed and breakfast places in the area, historical sites and plenty of restaurants. You can make a nice weekend out of it.
Thanks!! I attended the Covered bridge tour last fall, what an absolute blast!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #8
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Another recommendation for making the trip towards the blue ridge. Some of the best driving roads I've found on the east side.

Highly recommend the cherohala skyway, I think it's my favorite road I've ever gotten the privilege to attack. If you're really looking to push the distance, from the Western terminus of Cherohala, head towards Atlanta avoiding highways. There is some connecting 2lane road I was on for probably 30-40 miles that was just incredible. Technical, open areas, some little towns where you really check up on the speed, but elevation changes galore, switchbacks, etc. I really wish I knew the road, but from the hip, I think it was the Unicoi Tpk.

The whole BRP is a beautiful drive, but be mindful of potential Federal LEO presence if pushing the limits a bit more than reasonable.

If you're looking to go north, just use satellite maps and look for spaghetti (usually following a waterway) all around the finger lakes. It's a lovely region with nice quiet backroads that you can push through farmland/wineries on, though my last trip found more loose gravel than I would have wanted. Can make a photo-stop at Watkins while up there, and drive the original Watkins Glen road course - where you can have enough fun with your clothes on to forget that you've not broken 75mph all day.

If coming from the NYC area, you could travel towards the finger lakes and take advantage of Icebikers' recommendation to run through the area around Eagles Mere, PA. I know that is landing on my list for this year, thanks icebiker !

Shorter day trips, check the area near Harriman State Park, Hawks' Nest, and Minnewaska State Preserve (all in NY) - if you've ever seen the video of the Focus RS flipping over on a tight hairpin, that was at Minnewaska. Good roads and views abound.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap

Last edited by RowanBuds; 04-07-2021 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
icebiker504.00
DocL1930.00
      04-07-2021, 09:28 PM   #9
.Tranceparent.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Man, you guys are so helpful! Thanks for the excellent recommendations.
Appreciate 0