EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-01-2024, 05:17 PM   #1
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

So, I got scammed and shame on me.
I replied to a classified ad on here, and didn’t immediately notice that the PM I subsequently received was from a different handle, pretending to be the seller.

I should know better, but I’m still adjusting to this nasty world of scammers.

Anyhow, if anyone in this community has the ability to pull up information based on a mobile number, please reach out to me.

Thank you!
Appreciate 2
SCCThree822.00
ried793.00
      05-01-2024, 11:28 PM   #2
Pewtinn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

sorry to hear! hope you somehow get the money back if it was via paypal
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 02:55 AM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Sorry you got scammed. The safest way is to blind PM the seller so the scammers don’t know you’ve contacted the seller. 5-10 years ago this was an extremely safe place to buy and sell items. Now you have to deal with the imposter scams and the PayPal G&S charge back scams. It’s ridiculous. Sorry you got caught up in this mess!
Appreciate 3
MSYm4116.00
noemon53.00
      05-05-2024, 02:53 PM   #4
F80Hub
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Sorry this happened, hopefully it wasn't a very costly mistake. Scammers almost got me last week, but luckily I caught it right before payment. Always use Paypal G&S. I've heard Venmo G&S is also a good option, but have no personal experience with it.

Also if you haven't yet, report the account that messaged you.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 03:19 PM   #5
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Was the username Nir4c?
      05-05-2024, 03:46 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Hub View Post
Sorry this happened, hopefully it wasn't a very costly mistake. Scammers almost got me last week, but luckily I caught it right before payment. Always use Paypal G&S. I've heard Venmo G&S is also a good option, but have no personal experience with it.

Also if you haven't yet, report the account that messaged you.
The problem with PayPal, and Venmo if they have a, G&S option is it doesn’t guarantee the seller gets their money. I heard of several buyers that dispute the transaction and say the item was never delivered and PayPal sides with the buyer. Money is then pulled from the seller’s account. As a seller, you want F&F and as a buyer, you want G&S. There’s risk at both ends, unfortunately. I used to sell and buy items frequently but, iirc, it’s been five years since I last purchased an item from the forum marketplace.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 06:40 PM   #7
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
Was the username Nir4c?
It was not. It was WardOi.

Like I said in my initial post, I’m an idiot. I was PM’ing the real seller a week or two ago and then he stopped responding. So when this different handle PM’ed me and said the PM’s on their original account had stopped working, I believed him. Unfortunate coincidence to make me believe him. Nevertheless, I shouldn’t have let my guard down.

With that said, I would appreciate if we keep this thread on point.

I have a mobile number that I was texting him/her at, as well as the mobile number associated with their Zelle.

I have to believe there is someone on this forum that would be able to provide me info based on those. If I can get this individual’s info, I would go after him/her with the full force of the law.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 02:45 PM   #8
vkolp
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
It was not. It was WardOi.

Like I said in my initial post, I’m an idiot. I was PM’ing the real seller a week or two ago and then he stopped responding. So when this different handle PM’ed me and said the PM’s on their original account had stopped working, I believed him. Unfortunate coincidence to make me believe him. Nevertheless, I shouldn’t have let my guard down.

With that said, I would appreciate if we keep this thread on point.

I have a mobile number that I was texting him/her at, as well as the mobile number associated with their Zelle.

I have to believe there is someone on this forum that would be able to provide me info based on those. If I can get this individual’s info, I would go after him/her with the full force of the law.
PM’d you.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 03:52 PM   #9
arfboy
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Sorry to hear, man. These scammers are roaches!

First thing I would do is check the carrier associated with the numbers (https://www.carrierlookup.com/). Unfortunately, most of these scammers use throwaway Google voice numbers, so that adds another hurdle to identifying them and makes it amply more difficult. Assuming they're legit numbers (and not throwaway accounts) and no one else is able to help, from what I recall, LexisNexis and Westlaw have public records search portals that allow you to search by telephone number (in case you have access to them).

Also, if you're set on pursuing it legally, you theoretically could start the process without their identity. I.e., file suit against a Doe defendant, subpoena records from the carrier/provider, and sub the actual name into the suit once determined. That being said, you may end up throwing good money after bad...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 04:50 PM   #10
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfboy View Post
Sorry to hear, man. These scammers are roaches!

First thing I would do is check the carrier associated with the numbers (https://www.carrierlookup.com/). Unfortunately, most of these scammers use throwaway Google voice numbers, so that adds another hurdle to identifying them and makes it amply more difficult. Assuming they're legit numbers (and not throwaway accounts) and no one else is able to help, from what I recall, LexisNexis and Westlaw have public records search portals that allow you to search by telephone number (in case you have access to them).

Also, if you're set on pursuing it legally, you theoretically could start the process without their identity. I.e., file suit against a Doe defendant, subpoena records from the carrier/provider, and sub the actual name into the suit once determined. That being said, you may end up throwing good money after bad...
Hey man, not sure if you recall, but I actually bought the MP Shifter and E-brake handle from you. If only all sellers were like you man!

Anyhow, I’m actually an attorney and turns out our firm pays for the Public Records feature on Lexis, so I’ll give that a go.
Appreciate 2
MSYm4116.00
noemon53.00
      05-08-2024, 11:12 AM   #11
arfboy
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Hey man, not sure if you recall, but I actually bought the MP Shifter and E-brake handle from you. If only all sellers were like you man!

Anyhow, I’m actually an attorney and turns out our firm pays for the Public Records feature on Lexis, so I’ll give that a go.
Yessir! I remember. (And likewise, thanks for the smooth transaction.) That’s why I mentioned Lexis and Westlaw. Figured you have access to one or the other.
Appreciate 0