ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-25-2021, 06:28 PM   #1277
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Thanks. There seems to be a lot of talk on the forums about waiting out the 4680 cells and new casting instead of buying now. Any thoughts on that?
Speculation is rampant with respect to the 4680 cells and the new casting. I’ve heard about both for over a year. I don’t subscribe to the theory of waiting for what Tesla may or may not do. They’re incredibly unpredictable, you don’t know what’s going to happen, when, or if it will happen at all. Not to mention, continuous improvement is the game so there will always be a “new thing” you will miss out on whenever you do purchase. If you have a need and/or a desire to buy a MYP, my advice is to go for it. Life comes at you fast and it’s best to enjoy the fruits of your labor while you can.
      06-25-2021, 08:54 PM   #1278
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
…If you have a need and/or a desire to buy a MYP, my advice is to go for it. Life comes at you fast and it’s best to enjoy the fruits of your labor while you can.
AMEN!!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:51 AM   #1279
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
For you guys saying that there isn’t a better car in this segment, splain. How so? I’m curious
for a 5 seats family car that is 95-100% street only, I definitely think there isn’t a better car. 0-100mph the acceleration potential is great, the driver assist features are best that’s available today, and you can do stuff like watch tv while getting takeout

for max happiness, pair model 3P or model YP with a gas sports car!!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #1280
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
for a 5 seats family car that is 95-100% street only, I definitely think there isn’t a better car. 0-100mph the acceleration potential is great, the driver assist features are best that’s available today, and you can do stuff like watch tv while getting takeout

for max happiness, pair model 3P or model YP with a gas sports car!!
Do you guys know how the model Y does on Canyon runs? I doubt I’m gonna track my cars as much anymore but I do like to go on Canyon Drive with my friends early in the morning.

I think I actually like the looks of the model y more than the model three
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #1281
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you guys know how the model Y does on Canyon runs? I doubt I’m gonna track my cars as much anymore but I do like to go on Canyon Drive with my friends early in the morning.

The Model Y is a taller, wider Model 3, so it's not going to handle as well as the 3 - physics, after all...

If you don't want/need an SUV, the 3 is the better vehicle, and will keep up with any car you care to mention in the twisties aside from 2-seat high powered sports cars. What it might give up to its Euro ICE competitors in absolute cornering speed it more than makes up for in corner-exit and straight-line speed....
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 11:12 AM   #1282
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:

A relative of mine works for Tesla and brought me a Model Y Performance to test drive and push on some tight and windy canyon roads.

The car is surprisingly capable, but not much of an "experience." The low Cg keeps it feeling tight, and the body side to side body motions are well controlled. It was less than I was expecting for an SUV. I was able to one-pedal drive it for the most part, and Tesla has done a good job of really refining the throttle to brake transition to keep it smooth and intuitive.

The big downfall for canyon driving with the Model Y Performance was the lack of communication the car has with the driver. It wasn't terribly difficult to get the front end to understeer/push, however normally you get that feedback through the steering wheel, and it was a really odd sensation not getting any of that there, but instead having to see it visually and not feeling it at all. It was like playing a video game. Likewise the car didn't seem to communicate through the seat very well either. This means that in order to start to get some of the experience you're looking for when doing a canyon run you really have to get up there in speed. Below that things are a bit sterile.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #1283
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
The Model Y is a taller, wider Model 3, so it's not going to handle as well as the 3 - physics, after all...

If you don't want/need an SUV, the 3 is the better vehicle, and will keep up with any car you care to mention in the twisties aside from 2-seat high powered sports cars. What it might give up to its Euro ICE competitors in absolute cornering speed it more than makes up for in corner-exit and straight-line speed....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
A relative of mine works for Tesla and brought me a Model Y Performance to test drive and push on some tight and windy canyon roads.

The car is surprisingly capable, but not much of an "experience." The low Cg keeps it feeling tight, and the body side to side body motions are well controlled. It was less than I was expecting for an SUV. I was able to one-pedal drive it for the most part, and Tesla has done a good job of really refining the throttle to brake transition to keep it smooth and intuitive.

The big downfall for canyon driving with the Model Y Performance was the lack of communication the car has with the driver. It wasn't terribly difficult to get the front end to understeer/push, however normally you get that feedback through the steering wheel, and it was a really odd sensation not getting any of that there, but instead having to see it visually and not feeling it at all. It was like playing a video game. Likewise the car didn't seem to communicate through the seat very well either. This means that in order to start to get some of the experience you're looking for when doing a canyon run you really have to get up there in speed. Below that things are a bit sterile.
GREAT! Thank you for the comparisons and advice.

I think the best step for me now would be to turo both models for a couple of days and really see how it performs.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 12:33 PM   #1284
Goruond
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

LCIs are designed at the same time as the original cars are released and they are just mostly cosmetic changes with some technical updates thrown in for good measure.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 01:01 PM   #1285
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
GREAT! Thank you for the comparisons and advice.

I think the best step for me now would be to turo both models for a couple of days and really see how it performs.
If you're thinking of buying the "Performance" version of either, make sure you rent that same version - they're different enough from the lesser models to really affect the experience.

Also think about when/where you'll charge the cars - even a 110V socket will give you a few miles of charge (4-6 miles per hour) if plugged in overnight but if you plan to do any exploring, you'll likely want to visit a Supercharger somewhere along the way.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 01:23 PM   #1286
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you're thinking of buying the "Performance" version of either, make sure you rent that same version - they're different enough from the lesser models to really affect the experience.

Also think about when/where you'll charge the cars - even a 110V socket will give you a few miles of charge (4-6 miles per hour) if plugged in overnight but if you plan to do any exploring, you'll likely want to visit a Supercharger somewhere along the way.
Thanks for the insight. I actually have a neighbor who just traded in his 2009 c63 amg for a M3p and this is what prompted my search. One drive of his car has me hooked but I need to really drive it to see if it’s fun and not just some weird honeymoon.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 02:27 PM   #1287
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. I actually have a neighbor who just traded in his 2009 c63 amg for a M3p and this is what prompted my search. One drive of his car has me hooked but I need to really drive it to see if it’s fun and not just some weird honeymoon.
I think we have discussed fun cars a lot over the years on these forums. And I’ve put out an open offer to come track my cars. Offer still stands

For what it’s worth, a friend has a 991.2 base and when we drove in the canyons I left my 996TT and used m3p to prove a point, and I didn’t regret it one bit

Looking to add cup2, and suspension mods to the model3 down the line but holding out for now since it’s my family car
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 02:33 PM   #1288
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
I'm afraid there is no weird honeymoon. The instant torque at "throttle tip-in" is incredible and never gets old. The anti-EV crowd will always find a reason to discredit the performance. I know because I was in that crowd once upon a time.

The M3P has its limitations on the track just like any other car but when properly set up, very capable. If you're looking to track it, there are a few folks here who have tracked a M3P heavily. MasterC17 is the first who comes to mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 12:46 AM   #1289
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I'm afraid there is no weird honeymoon. The instant torque at "throttle tip-in" is incredible and never gets old. The anti-EV crowd will always find a reason to discredit the performance. I know because I was in that crowd once upon a time.

The M3P has its limitations on the track just like any other car but when properly set up, very capable. If you're looking to track it, there are a few folks here who have tracked a M3P heavily. MasterC17 is the first who comes to mind.
Nice post! I agree

One area that I think it hard for m3p to overcome limitations is highway rolls, 1/2 mile, vmax type use case

Whenever I do a 60-130+ pull in m3p, I do miss the lighter weight, higher power levels and gearing of the gas cars.

If that’s a really important use case for someone I’d say stick with gas or get the new model S that traps 150+mph
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 06:20 AM   #1290
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice post! I agree

One area that I think it hard for m3p to overcome limitations is highway rolls, 1/2 mile, vmax type use case

Whenever I do a 60-130+ pull in m3p, I do miss the lighter weight, higher power levels and gearing of the gas cars…
60-110 is still pretty spicy in the Model 3P - it’s over 110 where it really runs out of pull. Most street cars spend 99+% of their time at speeds where the 3P is wicked quick, and its instant, zero-lag response is something that no ICE vehicle can ever match.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 10:30 AM   #1291
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
60-110 is still pretty spicy in the Model 3P - it’s over 110 where it really runs out of pull. Most street cars spend 99+% of their time at speeds where the 3P is wicked quick, and its instant, zero-lag response is something that no ICE vehicle can ever match.
Mid to high 11s at 117mph is a very solid for family sedan but leaves a lot of room for improvement in acceleration potential

I’m just trying to be honest here, high speed pulls is the use case where my model 3P leaves me wanting more
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #1292
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i think eventually the new plaid type motors will trick down to the M3P. The plaid's 100-150 time is faster than its 60-130 time which is kinda nuts.

i'm not up to date on the engineering, so maybe someone can explain... these new plaid motors have a carbon sleeve and can spin up to 20,000 rpm and apparently thats why it has a ridiculous top end pull without needing a gearbox (like the 2-speed taycan).

so in theory would that type of motor, albiet slightly downgraded, for the M3P result in mid 11 1/4 mile and continue the same relentless pull up to 150 ?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 01:02 PM   #1293
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
i think eventually the new plaid type motors will trick down to the M3P. The plaid's 100-150 time is faster than its 60-130 time which is kinda nuts.

i'm not up to date on the engineering, so maybe someone can explain... these new plaid motors have a carbon sleeve and can spin up to 20,000 rpm and apparently thats why it has a ridiculous top end pull without needing a gearbox (like the 2-speed taycan).

so in theory would that type of motor, albiet slightly downgraded, for the M3P result in mid 11 1/4 mile and continue the same relentless pull up to 150 ?
I thought it was the third motor that made it fast?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 01:18 PM   #1294
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
I thought it was the third motor that made it fast?
thats part of it. but the m3p and all teslas before were plagued with the slow top end pull because the motors just could not spin fast enough. remember there is no gearbox and its more of a direct drive (motor connected directly to drive wheels).

from motortrend:

Quote:
The Plaid's single front and twin rear motors are essentially modified versions of those found in the Model 3/Model Y. However, in the Plaid they feature novel carbon-fiber sleeves that allow the motor rotors to spin at 20,000 rpm to achieve the car's claimed 200-mph top speed without punching through the stator. These carbon sleeves, Tesla says, make a more complex two-speed transmission like the one seen on the Porsche Taycan unnecessary. They also give the Model S Plaid a shockingly linear powerband: Tesla says peak horsepower happens at 80 mph and holds steady all the way to 200 mph (provided you've dropped $4,500 on the optional 21-inch wheels and your car has a yet-to-be-released software update; in its current state the Plaid is limited to 163 mph).

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 10:20 AM   #1295
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mid to high 11s at 117mph is a very solid for family sedan but leaves a lot of room for improvement in acceleration potential

I’m just trying to be honest here, high speed pulls is the use case where my model 3P leaves me wanting more
So maybe get a refreshed Model S LR?

~$80K for 128-130 mph in the 1/4 mile isn't likely to "leave (you) wanting more" high speed pull...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRG6Dp6LyfE
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 01:52 PM   #1296
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So maybe get a refreshed Model S LR?

~$80K for 128-130 mph in the 1/4 mile isn't likely to "leave (you) wanting more" high speed pull...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRG6Dp6LyfE
I appreciate the point you are trying to make and thanks for sharing that info. For someone looking into the m5 type of sedan, 130mph traps is right in the stock m5 ballpark and it looks to be $30k savings vs m5 as well

But $80k for 130mph traps in a raw deal in my books. That’s stock out of box performance of a 15 yr old z06 that’s a mid $20k car all day long these days. Even my current gas car (mild mods 6TT) is not far from that

I’m going to stick with model 3P + <gas car> combo for a while and just take the gasser when it’s time for those pulls. Lol
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:36 PM   #1297
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Btw!! I sold my M3 and purchased a Model Y performance! Woohoo!

Now the wait is killing me.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:37 PM   #1298
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I actually just saw that you responded to my post in the tesla forums! No wonder your name Sounded familiar. Your post was the impetus to look into buying it! See you in the other forum!
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2227.50