ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Onetime237
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

2013 Used M5 vs 2015 M3

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
This has already been discussed at some point on this site, but I'm new to all of this so, hopefully someone can give me some insight.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an 2015 M3. I have looked at a "corporate fleet" M5 with about 15K miles on it. I know they are different cars - different experiences. I do mostly city driving and have two small kids. Not that they would be in the car much, it is really just for me to enjoy.

I'm really confused about which direction to go for a few reasons:

M5
1 - this whole corporate fleet or exec demo thing has me a bit worried. I was told it was not used as a track car, just driven by someone from corporate. The tires don't look that bad at all (doesn't mean they were not replaced before being put on sale) and the interior seems in quite good shape.

2 - it has a number of options, is naturally powerful, but is definitely a heavier riding and feeling car. I almost feel disconnected from the road when i've tested it. I'm not sure that is necessarily a bad thing since i'm not cruising winding country roads where i can really open it up.

3 - the cost to own is certainly more than the M3, and the gas mileage is a lot worse, it seems. I know the warranty is 15K used, that too is sitting out there in my decision-making process.

4 - in general, it's was a very different ride compared to the M3 and over the long-term i'm not sure if would prefer the comfort with power vehicle vs. the M3 and it's more raw driving feeling

M3

1 - i definitely got more of a rush driving this car, but it is much more raw...maybe connected is the word or maybe just less protected from the sound. I also thing the difference in weight makes you feel the car more. Again, i'm not tracking the vehicle or really out there in fun roads to explore the car to even half of its potential.

2 - i've read some people complain about the exhaust note being annoying after a while, something you do not really detect too much in the M5. That said, i'm not pulling 3 hour drives...more like 20 - 60 minutes, tops here and there - so it's hard to tell if i will get annoyed for that period of time. When i tested the M3, i heard the engine, but it didn't seem terrible.

3 - I've read some reviews that the AC in the M3 is really bad and that the there is a cheapness to the interior materials...most-likely done to save weight, I suppose.

Lastly - the price for the M5 is in the mid-80s and with the M3 not too far below, i'm really confused what to do. I'm probably opening myself up to more confusion, but thought i'd put it out there and get some reactions.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

I had considered the same thing for a day. I realized the warranty is very important to me, so I am going with a new model to get a longer BMW backed product.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

$4200 installed from Dinan in roll bars and coil overs for the m5 not many drivers if ANY could do any better with the m3 vs. that

-worse oil consumption
-pre lci
-old gross steering wheel
-Slower last gen nav
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

im confused.....did you drive both of them?

if so, it should be apparent which one you want.

and the m3 is only 80k if you want it to be. mine was 70k before my discount, which I got 4k off msrp including my CCA rebate. and I have full leather on mine which IMO makes the interior extremely high end and high quality
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Onetime237
Private
Rep

What is the CCA rebate?

The one i'm considering is not full leather - extended. I did drive them both, and while the used 2013 is not too much more than a new M3, I really left not super impressed - it has more bells and whistles and definitely more luxurious...but i think it's the wrong car for me right now. I'm not ready for that type of numb driving feeling.

Also - with the full leather - yeah, that would be an improvement, but i think when i boil it down, i'm not getting this car because of it's luxury. Plastic materials - cheap or whatever, probably not going to impact me on a day-to-day basis.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
SuspectisHatless
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

A couple of thoughts on the M3 (I have no experience with the M5):

My AC works fine. I do have to put the fan on a little higher than my prior car, but when I do it cools down very quickly and then I can keep the fan at a lower setting to maintain.

On the exhaust note, I came from an Audi S4, which was very quiet. I was surprised at how loud the M3 is, since its a six. But I mean that in a good way. Its something that I look forward to each time I get in it. If you keep in comfort mode, it keeps the rpms down and it is noticeably quieter going around town (which is one of the reasons I don't use that mode).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
Onetime237
Private
Rep

That's good to hear about the AC... i've been hearing these stories and seemed a little odd. Doesn't have an Auto function that self adjusts? That's been standard on cars for years. Hopefully others will have the same experience you mentioned.

So it's loud, but it's not like you need to wear noise canceling headphones! Is it harder to hear the radio?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetime237 View Post
What is the CCA rebate?

The one i'm considering is not full leather - extended. I did drive them both, and while the used 2013 is not too much more than a new M3, I really left not super impressed - it has more bells and whistles and definitely more luxurious...but i think it's the wrong car for me right now. I'm not ready for that type of numb driving feeling.

Also - with the full leather - yeah, that would be an improvement, but i think when i boil it down, i'm not getting this car because of it's luxury. Plastic materials - cheap or whatever, probably not going to impact me on a day-to-day basis.
ok, well sounds like you already know what you want

and if the car doesn't have full leather, how is it 80k?

if you don't need bells and whistles you can easily build an m3 for under 70k. the base is 62k....
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
Onetime237
Private
Rep

It's not 80K...did i say that? it's less than that. the used M5 was in the mid-80s...the new m3 is less, for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
SuspectisHatless
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
That's good to hear about the AC... i've been hearing these stories and seemed a little odd. Doesn't have an Auto function that self adjusts? That's been standard on cars for years. Hopefully others will have the same experience you mentioned.

So it's loud, but it's not like you need to wear noise canceling headphones! Is it harder to hear the radio?
I haven't used the auto ac on a car in a long time. I think I gave up on it years ago when it seemed to only have two settings, fans at full blast or nearly off. So I haven't tried auto function in the M3.

The noise can interfere with hearing the radio if you are driving aggressively. But if you are going a steady speed on the highway, it won't be a problem. Driving around town with the windows down, it can also be a little harder to hear the radio (assuming you are not blasting it).

You definitely don't need noise canceling headphones. Like I mentioned before, I am really starting to enjoy it. Its addictive, I keep wanting to accelerate so I can hear the engine take off.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Lastly - the price for the M5 is in the mid-80s and with the M3 not too far below, i'm really confused what to do. I'm probably opening myself up to more confusion, but thought i'd put it out there and get some reactions.

Thanks.
Quote:
It's not 80K...did i say that? it's less than that. the used M5 was in the mid-80s...the new m3 is less, for sure.
read your quote above. sounds like you were saying the prices were close. I personally don't consider 70k close to 85k, but JMO

regardless, GL whichever way you go. Cant go wrong.

I really cant provide you feedback because what you and I look for in a car / use a car for is very different, so my opinion would not be useful. I enjoy a car that I can track and a more raw experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #12
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
After seeing an m3 and m5 side by side the M5 looks so dull to me now
      08-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #13
Onetime237
Private
Rep

i understand...the car is more than 70 cause it has some of the packages, etc in it. so...it's not too far away from the used one...but nevertheless, the difference is real and certainly not like 2 or 3 grand apart.

Yeah - you should like you drive cars like they should. That being said, maybe i should get a honda civic and call it a day - ha.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
RickMonet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
I'm really confused about which direction to go for a few reasons:
I had similar thoughts. I wanted the luxury of the M5 but the smaller lighter feel of the M3.

I test drove a 2013 M5 with 6MT - great car - but felt more well-suited for speeds 80-140 mph. I prefer to live in the 0-80 mph range with the M3.

This combined with the styling and better fuel economy closed the deal on the M3.

If you are considering the 2013 M5 - there are lots of deals out there. So, if this particular car does not fit your needs- widen your search. You will find the color/options you want.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #15
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

What is your other family car?
BMW 3 series have taken care of my three boys from birth to university. And they have done double-duty as farm truck, hauling hay, chicken feed etc. Great all-around DD family sedan.
The new F80 M is a bit more on the edge, but still a competent kid-friendly sedan, and a fantastic car to drive for milk, diapers etc. (Aside -- what happened to Lups?). M5 is an autobahn burner with high fuel cost. Get the M3, do European delivery with the wife and leave kids with grandparents for a week.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #16
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
What is the CCA rebate?

I think this post really tells us the answer. You describe the M5 as "the wrong car for me right now" and "I'm not ready for that type of numb driving". If this is how you feel then I really think you have your answer. For a long time I lusted after the M5/M6 and after owning my E92 M3 for a year I came to realize that I am not a big car person and that the M5/M6 is too big for me. My 4 is bigger than my former M3 and this is as large of a car as I want at this point in my life. I suspect you feel the same way, but you are considering the M5 because you think it presents a good value relative to its original MSRP. Keep in mind....value is largely based on the enjoyment you get out of the car and the M5 could be 60k and be a bad value if you don't like it. Go with your gut and pick the M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #17
Onetime237
Private
Rep

It's funny you talk about going with my gut and all of the rest... the deal for the M5 seemed, on the face, a good one... i mean give the retail...i was somewhat intrigued. But, like you said, the car just didn't leave me all jacked up. it was more like okay...that cool and it felt so big. Down the road it might be an option for me...

So in a sense...i guess i have answered my question. This was therapy. ha.
Appreciate 0