Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 - F80

BM3 Stage 2 E30 data log HELP

How’s it going all! Going to make a long story short for everyone. Been running the BM3 OTS E30 map on my F80 for quite a while and the car runs fantastic. Decided to take it to the Dyno just to confirm the numbers I’ve seen online and to my surprise the numbers were REALLY underwhelming. So much so I didn’t even bother to snap a picture of the sheet (my bad!) best run was 479?whp on a Dyno jet. Car was in “Dyno mode” via the BC toggle switch.

Anyways, right after the Dyno I met up with my old man to do a couple friendly pulls against his e85 ZL1 (which made 607 on the same Dyno same day) 3rd gear 60 roll full car length ahead through the top of 4th with no sign of him catching up.

So I went ahead and data logged 2 3rd gear pulls from 2000ish RPM to redline. First time recording it so hope the work!

The car:
2015 M3 NON comp
Catless downpipe
Charge pipes
Secondary cat delete (replaced with mini mufflers)
NGK colder plugs gapped to .20
INJEN cold air intake

If someone could please take a look at these logs and let me know if something looks out of whack. I’ve been pushing the limit blindly on the E30 map so this is actually a E50 mix. 7ish gal E85 and 7ish of 93.

Am I wrong to think the Dyno reading was low?! We had trouble getting the ignition wire to read rpms but I don’t think that would result in lower whp.

Let me know BM3 gurus & Happy 4th!

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60e0...729b231ec13097

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60e0...0b431f967fe2bf
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 07:26 PM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

First log had a little timing off on one cylinder. Second log looked clean, even at high RPM. No probs I see. I think your dyno read a little low.
      07-03-2021, 07:56 PM   #3
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
First log had a little timing off on one cylinder. Second log looked clean, even at high RPM. No probs I see. I think your dyno read a little low.
Sup man! Knew you would chime in here I always see you active regarding BM3!

Thanks for the reassurance, you think the timing being off may have been due to the high E content? I believe this tank is close to a E60 from my last fill up.

Next fill up I’ll cut it back to the 7 gallons each just to be sure or maybe cut it 6/8 and re-log.

Happy knowing the log read well, was afraid of a deeper problem causing those numbers. But F numbers, gotta record some 60-130!

Have a good 4th sir
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5392.50
      07-03-2021, 09:52 PM   #4
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

The first log looks a little off, probably traction issues on low rpm and noticed a few times during run your wastegate hit upper 90's but second log looks clean. How come logs don't show EGT's or LPFP psi or did I miss that?
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf

Last edited by Wanted_M; 07-03-2021 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 08:45 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

without a baseline, the dyno numbers are meaningless.

With that being said, I recommend sending the datalogs to PTF directly

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #6
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep

Hey guys just to follow up,

Sent the datalogs over to PTF and they are currently checking it out. The first thing they noticed was the high IAT temps. Granted I think ambient temps in Miami when I did these pulls was in the HIGH 90s.

Are IAT's 30 Deg above ambient really THAT normal??

Car has the Agency power top mount intercooler as the oem unit failed.

Im going to check the coolant levels and also the install, I remember one of the hoses appeared very pinched. Just a hunch
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:52 AM   #7
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep

Bump trying to confirm if anyone else experiences IAT's of that temp.

This morning I was viewing the live gauges through BM3 while driving. Weather in Miami was 82 deg and very humid. The IAT at start up was 94 deg. During regular driving it maintained under 100 Deg but the minute I accelerate heavily they shoot up. A quick 3rd gear datalog (not until redline but 7200) hit 114 deg.

Is that normal?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 03:26 PM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

If your Injen is an under hood kit without boxes then you're gonna get engine heat coming into the air path. Try switching in your stock air boxes and testing IATs again the same day.
      07-08-2021, 01:29 AM   #9
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINERALWHITE_F80M3 View Post
Bump trying to confirm if anyone else experiences IAT's of that temp.

This morning I was viewing the live gauges through BM3 while driving. Weather in Miami was 82 deg and very humid. The IAT at start up was 94 deg. During regular driving it maintained under 100 Deg but the minute I accelerate heavily they shoot up. A quick 3rd gear datalog (not until redline but 7200) hit 114 deg.

Is that normal?
It should be shooting down when you go on throttle.

Check your heat exchanger (small) reservoir to make sure it isn't need of a fill up.

Otherwise you can drop down to 20% coolant, 80% distilled water + Redline water wetter for the summer to achieve maximum cooling/heat reduction on both your intake charge cooler side and your engine cooler side.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 07:28 AM   #10
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
If your Injen is an under hood kit without boxes then you're gonna get engine heat coming into the air path. Try switching in your stock air boxes and testing IATs again the same day.
So my Injen intake has an enclosure that I had removed for more noise. Yesterday I put them back on and immediately there is a difference in IAT.

Granted, the weather this morning was 80-82 deg F. So according to these logs I am still hitting 20deg over ambient during this pull.

The only thing that came to mind was the Agency Power TMIC, after I replaced it I only did procedure to run the pump twice and If I remember correctly it still had some bubbles towards the end but because I didnt have a battery tender I did not do it a third time.

Could there still be air in the system which is stopping the flow of coolant to the unit thus causing these higher IAT's??

Thanks all

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60e6...729b3d252ed899
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 07:29 AM   #11
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

Check your heat exchanger (small) reservoir to make sure it isn't need of a fill up.

Otherwise you can drop down to 20% coolant, 80% distilled water + Redline water wetter for the summer to achieve maximum cooling/heat reduction on both your intake charge cooler side and your engine cooler side.
That what I believed my OEM unit use to do, as it circled air the IAT went down but now with the Agency Power TMIC it increases through acceleration.

Thinking back on the above post ^ it only makes sense that maybe there is air in the system or that I need to switch back to a new OEM unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #12
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That what I believed my OEM unit use to do, as it circled air the IAT went down but now with the Agency Power TMIC it increases through acceleration.

Thinking back on the above post ^ it only makes sense that maybe there is air in the system or that I need to switch back to a new OEM unit.
Do you have a upgraded front mount heat exchanger?

I did a csf front mount exchanger but kept my stock top intercooler.

Before the heat exchanger, I was running 20 above ambient like you. After, my best was 13 above ambient.

I would run the pump again to make sure no air, then switch to a lower antifreeze mix with more distilled water and add redline water wetter. Do this first and check again before touching your top mount exchanger…
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #13
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Before the heat exchanger, I was running 20 above ambient like you. After, my best was 13 above ambient.

I would run the pump again to make sure no air, then switch to a lower antifreeze mix with more distilled water and add redline water wetter. Do this first and check again before touching your top mount exchanger…
Negative still running the oem heat exchanger!

Ill run the pump and have a jug of distilled to top off if needed and ill add the water wetter.

Ill report back soon, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 09:56 AM   #14
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Negative still running the oem heat exchanger!

Ill run the pump and have a jug of distilled to top off if needed and ill add the water wetter.

Ill report back soon, thanks!
Ok that makes sense. The power gains primarily come from an upgraded heat exchanger. The top mount is really a durability modification.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 09:57 PM   #15
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

On your first log it looks like you had something happen at 3851rpms, it either spun on the dyno or it was traction control cut, the load and target changed and dropped the boost. But the logs look fine, some bigger fans would have helped your IATs.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #16
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep

Hey guys following up with latest change.

Ran the coolant pump procedure, had a couple of air bubbles but nothing out of this world. Both the intercooler and coolant reservoir were at appropriate levels.

Did a small pull today with ambient temps around 84 deg. I still see the IATs climb at WOT?

Do you have any summer wot logs hellokitty ?

I’m interested to know why my IATs climb if they should be going down. Starting to doubt this AP Top mount. May switch to an oem unit.

The log (didn’t hit redline) https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60ec...90c61d31021359
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 06:21 PM   #17
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys following up with latest change.

Ran the coolant pump procedure, had a couple of air bubbles but nothing out of this world. Both the intercooler and coolant reservoir were at appropriate levels.

Did a small pull today with ambient temps around 84 deg. I still see the IATs climb at WOT?

Do you have any summer wot logs hellokitty ?

I’m interested to know why my IATs climb if they should be going down. Starting to doubt this AP Top mount. May switch to an oem unit.

The log (didn’t hit redline) https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60ec...90c61d31021359
Gosh that IAT climb is ridiculous. Here is a single gear log on a Cary Jordan custom flex fuel tune on full E85. My IATs rose 2 degrees with a 3rd gear pull at 24 psi peak.

I am on a CSF front heat exchanger and stock/OEM top mount intercooler. 20% coolant, 80% distilled water, Redline water wetter combo.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60eb...729b21f4fd5367

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 06:55 PM   #18
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Gosh that IAT climb is ridiculous. Here is a single gear log on a Cary Jordan custom flex fuel tune on full E85. My IATs rose 2 degrees with a 3rd gear pull at 24 psi peak.

I am on a CSF front heat exchanger and stock/OEM top mount intercooler. 20% coolant, 80% distilled water, Redline water wetter combo.

Yeah dude it makes no sense to me...

Our coolant temps are similar so I don’t believe the coolant is the culprit.

Even if your ambient temps were lower the fact it only rose 2 deg compared to mine is nuts. It’s hard to believe that AP could have made something failing this bad, but then again they are discontinued...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 07:00 PM   #19
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah dude it makes no sense to me...

Our coolant temps are similar so I don’t believe the coolant is the culprit.

Even if your ambient temps were lower the fact it only rose 2 deg compared to mine is nuts. It’s hard to believe that AP could have made something failing this bad, but then again they are discontinued...
Keep in mind the engine coolant and intake coolant are on separate cooling circuits so you can't really compare the two.

I would try to put the stock intercooler back on and see if you see improvements… I don't think it's a pump issue since you bled your cooling circuit and the pump ran. Must be the intercooler…

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 07:42 PM   #20
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep

Tried one more thing before ditching the AP, when I changed over the sensor from the stock unit I remember the oem rubber o ring tore. Just replaced it and tied everything down. I’ll give it another go tomorrow Incase it had a small leak where it was grabbing temps from the engine bay. Wishful thinking lol

My stock unit was replaced because it was leaking so I’d have to purchase a new oem unit if that is the case!
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2883.50
      07-12-2021, 10:20 PM   #21
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Quote:
Tried one more thing before ditching the AP, when I changed over the sensor from the stock unit I remember the oem rubber o ring tore. Just replaced it and tied everything down. I’ll give it another go tomorrow Incase it had a small leak where it was grabbing temps from the engine bay. Wishful thinking lol

My stock unit was replaced because it was leaking so I’d have to purchase a new oem unit if that is the case!
How many miles on your car? is the front mount all beat up?
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 08:19 AM   #22
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
How many miles on your car? is the front mount all beat up?
Car has 50K

Everything looks to be in good shape no cracks or messed up fins.

Couldnt log this morning because the roads were wet but at start up car was about 2-6 deg over ambient (85 deg F outside today) @ 88 deg.

Highway driving put it at around 94-96 deg most of the drive. The small times I got on the gas it immediately jumped 98-100-102-104.

If the roads are dry today and it remains hot out ill get another log in
Appreciate 0