Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
Dasm3nd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F80

Detailers: INITIAL Silverstone leather treatment and then maintenance suggestions

Hi Everyone. I'll be picking up my F80 YMB with SS interior in the next week.

I have been reading this forum and M5 forums to come up with a protocol for initial leather conditioning and maintenance. In M5 forums, I have read that the Merino leather is not treated (can't confirm this but going by written word on people smarter than me) so...

1) What would you recommend be done to the leather within the first couple days of delivery to help minimize future stains, dye transfer, etc for SS interior?

2) I have read about Leatherique, Leathermasters, Swissvax, Zaino, Sonax, and BMW branded products. I am not a detailer and don't have time to make leather maintenance an all day affair but I am willing to put in a few hours every few months or even monthly. WHAT IS A SUGGESTED MAINTENANCE PLAN FOR SS LEATHER? I am most confused by variety of brandnames. I want something tested and straightforward.

Any help is appreciated. I've always had black interior so this is new for me.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
yosman8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: with no oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasm3nd View Post
Hi Everyone. I'll be picking up my F80 YMB with SS interior in the next week.

I have been reading this forum and M5 forums to come up with a protocol for initial leather conditioning and maintenance. In M5 forums, I have read that the Merino leather is not treated (can't confirm this but going by written word on people smarter than me) so...

1) What would you recommend be done to the leather within the first couple days of delivery to help minimize future stains, dye transfer, etc for SS interior?

2) I have read about Leatherique, Leathermasters, Swissvax, Zaino, Sonax, and BMW branded products. I am not a detailer and don't have time to make leather maintenance an all day affair but I am willing to put in a few hours every few months or even monthly. WHAT IS A SUGGESTED MAINTENANCE PLAN FOR SS LEATHER? I am most confused by variety of brandnames. I want something tested and straightforward.

Any help is appreciated. I've always had black interior so this is new for me.

Cheers.
+1. I too am in-store for SS interior
jasonjo61.50
      07-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

I'm curious for a slightly different reason in that I am getting the convertible which presumably will have the sun protection/anti-fade treatment and perhaps some treatment for water resistance! I winder how this differs in respect care regimen w.r.t. Merino in the coupes? I am getting Full Individual leather so that much more coverage to care for!
      07-14-2014, 02:19 AM   #4
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3

I've spent some time researching on this since I'm also getting Silverstone for the first time. Some years ago I had Merino Platinum in E60 though which I presume is similar. And I also have Merino Nutmeg in my current 5 series. It is a beautiful leather but holds up relatively poorly.

My notes from postings around various BMW and international detailing forums (NOT my own experiments, just notes from others):

- Leatherique is a legacy product, doesn't smell well and is tailored more towards very worn leathers and pre-1990 era leathers. It does magic but it's a LOT of work (hours to days).

- Leather Masters works well with Merino if you want to retain its original factory, matte dry look with no artificial shine.

- When new, apply Leather Masters Barrier product to prevent dye transfer. Clean regularly with the Cleaner product. Protect with the Protect Cream "Matte version" product (all available at shop.unitersna.com)

- Swisswax had overall good reviews across all detailing forums, but I did not research enough if it can maintain the original finish as well as Leather Masters.

- When I used Lexol a couple of years back on my Merino Platinum, it was pretty bad. Greasy, shiny, and didn't clean well.

- Get a soft horse hair brush for cleaning.

Note that although BMW claims that Merino is unprocessed, it does have a protective layer, it is semi-aniline. This is from a BMW X5M and X6M official press release.

Last edited by kinimod; 07-14-2014 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:32 AM   #5
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
I'm curious for a slightly different reason in that I am getting the convertible which presumably will have the sun protection/anti-fade treatment and perhaps some treatment for water resistance! I winder how this differs in respect care regimen w.r.t. Merino in the coupes? I am getting Full Individual leather so that much more coverage to care for!
Merino really needs a special treatment. Just don't let a standard shop put anything on it. It's unlikely that regular shops know how to work with this leather properly. I'd bet that most BMW dealerships don't know either. I've seen multiple 6 and 7 series with Merinos at dealerships around Bay Area, in their showrooms, that were oily and quite awfully treated (yet dirty under that layer of shine).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #6
Dasm3nd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod View Post
I've spent some time researching on this since I'm also getting Silverstone for the first time. Some years ago I had Merino Platinum in E60 though which I presume is similar. And I also have Merino Nutmeg in my current 5 series. It is a beautiful leather but holds up relatively poorly.

My notes from postings around various BMW and international detailing forums (NOT my own experiments, just notes from others):

- Leatherique is a legacy product, doesn't smell well and is tailored more towards very worn leathers and pre-1990 era leathers. It does magic but it's a LOT of work (hours to days).

- Leather Masters works well with Merino if you want to retain its original factory, matte dry look with no artificial shine.

- When new, apply Leather Masters Barrier product to prevent dye transfer. Clean regularly with the Cleaner product. Protect with the Protect Cream "Matte version" product (all available at shop.unitersna.com)

- Swisswax had overall good reviews across all detailing forums, but I did not research enough if it can maintain the original finish as well as Leather Masters.

- When I used Lexol a couple of years back on my Merino Platinum, it was pretty bad. Greasy, shiny, and didn't clean well.

Note that although BMW claims that Merino is unprocessed, it does have a protective layer, it is semi-aniline. This is from a BMW X5M and X6M official press release.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:

In your research was their any info/comment on how differently (or not) convertible applications (of Merino leather) were relative to others i.e. convertibles have the UV treatment and again I assume some sort of weather=proofing done - being lazy and have not researched this myself but curious re general care?
      07-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:

Thanks. Sounds like Leather Masters is the way to go. I have SO interior, but I also want to do better maintenance with the leather than just let it be.
      07-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob
Quote:

In your research was their any info/comment on how differently (or not) convertible applications (of Merino leather) were relative to others i.e. convertibles have the UV treatment and again I assume some sort of weather=proofing done - being lazy and have not researched this myself but curious re general care?
Haven't found anything in that regard unfortunately.

But it's an interesting point... How to protect Merino in a convertible without damaging it or making it glossy? I'd definitely like to know too.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

I went to visit a detailer in business for 30 years that swears that nothing but a hot damp microfiber rag should be used for regular cleaning. He uses a steam Extractor to clean leather in the shop and have to say it does do a great job of giving leather a soft original feel and looks clean. However I still do find it hard to swallow that all the cleaning technology out there can be that wrong.
      11-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
slats1279
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '15 X3-x35i, '10 FJ

Quote:

So what did you end up going with? Also a question about your L.M product comments. It look like from the descriptions online that the Leather Barrier product is basically the Protection Cream plus a dye transfer blocker. Are you using both? From the descriptions that seems a bit redundant.

I'm also having a hard time figuring out what products provide UV protection. Some web sites say Leatherique does, but don't see anything regarding L.M.

Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats1279 View Post
So what did you end up going with? Also a question about your L.M product comments. It look like from the descriptions online that the Leather Barrier product is basically the Protection Cream plus a dye transfer blocker. Are you using both? From the descriptions that seems a bit redundant.

I'm also having a hard time figuring out what products provide UV protection. Some web sites say Leatherique does, but don't see anything regarding L.M.

Thanks for your input.
I'm using this:

1x Leather Master Foam Cleaner - Foam Cleaner 300ml/10.14oz for $25.99 each
1x Leather Master Leather Barrier - 8 oz. for $17.99 each
1x Leather Master Leather Protection Cream - LPC Matte 250ml/8.45oz for $18.99 each

Purchased on unitersna.com.

Be careful to buy the Matte version of the protection cream.

First clean (using microfiber and sometimes horse hair soft brush), then apply protection cream, then apply barrier.

You only need the barrier if you have a light colored leather (e.g. Silverstone). The bottle says it should not be used on dark leathers.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 12:06 AM   #13
sal501
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I'm using this:

1x Leather Master Foam Cleaner - Foam Cleaner 300ml/10.14oz for $25.99 each
1x Leather Master Leather Barrier - 8 oz. for $17.99 each
1x Leather Master Leather Protection Cream - LPC Matte 250ml/8.45oz for $18.99 each

Purchased on unitersna.com.

Be careful to buy the Matte version of the protection cream.

First clean (using microfiber and sometimes horse hair soft brush), then apply protection cream, then apply barrier.

You only need the barrier if you have a light colored leather (e.g. Silverstone). The bottle says it should not be used on dark leathers.
I am a noob at this, please advise if wet micofiber cloth for cleaning or dry? what should i use to apply protection cream, is it microfiber or something else. For reference I have SO leather
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 01:36 AM   #14
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep

Dry microfiber.

Also you can use a horse hair brush and rub gently. It cleans significantly better.

I also found that for applying the protection cream just bare hands and fingers work best, just like applying any cream on a skin. (Then wipe residues, if any, with a dry microfiber.)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #15
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

For ss interior when new I would go with Leather Masters it's a great way to prevent things like denim transfer from happening if you stay on top of it.

Leather Master Strong Cleaner followed by Leather Master Barrier would be great.

Apply with a microfiber applicator or brush - bring strong cleaner to a lather and buff off with a mf towel, once dry to touch apply the barrier protection cream.

These are products I'm using on my SO interior.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 11:44 PM   #16
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 YMB F80

What can I do to remove dye transfer if it's already on my SS leather?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #17
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

sure thing Leather Master Dye Transfer Remover should do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #18
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

First time I did not get black leather and I kind of regret it. I have dye transfer 1 month after delivery. I have SO leather, FWIW.

I never did anything to the black leather... but warm microfiber towel.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #19
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

I wish I would have seen this earlier. It would have saved me hours of research. Pretty much what kinimod and detailers domain has said is what I am going to do for my SS.

Light color leather:
Leather Master Strong Cleaner Leather Cleaner
Leather Master Barrier - Leather Conditioner and Protectant (not use on suede or dark leathers)
Leather Master Dye Transfer Remover - Denim Stain Remover

Dark color Leather:
Leather Master Vital Leather Conditioner
Leather Master Protection Cream 250 ml
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #20
Bsmith75
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP & '20 Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnazzy View Post
Light color leather:
Leather Master Barrier - Leather Conditioner and Protectant (not use on suede or dark leathers)
Leather Master Dye Transfer Remover - Denim Stain Remover
Great thread!

I had just started researching for the best way to take care of my SS interior, especially since I've always only had black leather in every other car. Since it seems like a strong consensus for Leather Masters, I just ordered the 3 light color products above from Uniters. Thanks for the help.

B.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #21
VDBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB F82

How often do you guys clean your SS leather with said products?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #22
jcote258
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDBimmer View Post
How often do you guys clean your SS leather with said products?
+1, as a daily driver I'm curious as to how often you guys are cleaning and protecting the leather, once a month? I am getting SS and this will be my first light colored leather so I want to make sure it doesn't go to hell
Appreciate 0