E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Does jet wash destory 313 wheels?

08-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Does jet wash destory 313 wheels?

And saga continues this month!!!

Bought 313 wheels from the forum member. As you would trust more on forum members and try to keep the money flowing between the forum members, that is what I did.

However 2 weeks later lacquer started peeling. I thought that wheels were not cleaned properly.

Also, ferric grey colour started coming off.

Seller states that he bought the car 2 months ago from the dealer and wheels have not been refurbished according to his knowledge. His car was on 20K when he bought it.

Took it to professional wheel refurbishment garage and they confirmed that they were refurbished. If its just lacquer peeling off the lips, why would ferric grey colour will start fading as well. And the chap pointed me toward the imperfections which are getting evident after 3-4 weeks of use.

Seller's point of view is that you were happy with the purchase. His photo does not show any lacquer coming off when the wheels were purchased. So its my responsibility to flog them now.

His point is that I have used jet wash and that has caused it. I cannot understand how jet wash will get the ferric grey colour off as well?

Anyway, coming back to question...
Can jet wash lead to to lacquer coming off the wheels lip on 313 wheels?
Especially after 1 month of purchasing 'used' wheels in excellent condition.

Thanks.

Photos:

PS: You will also see old signs of some wheels kerbing where some lacquer peeled.
      08-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Jet wash will rip anything off where there is the slightest imperfection. When BMW returned my wheels, or at least got so Rone to do it, all they did was mask the tyres and redo he fronts. I suspect that's what has been done to yours but hat the jetwash has been able to lift the edge of the imperfections where the wheel meets the tyre.

It's a real shame when someone sells you something and lies about the history. That said, you never know if was done before they got the wheels and you're just unlucky. Sadly, nothing you can do. Sold as seen.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
Boz335i
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

No. I jet washed my 313's every week. Nothing ever peeled/flaked off.

I never use the pencil attachment as this can take paint off of plastics.

Jet wash will take the paint off smart repairs. My wife's Audi had a few smart repairs that came off with the jet wash.

Are they genuine or reps? I know they came from the dealer, but they could still have been reps.
Genuine have BBS stamped inside.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
RB2
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d msport 528 m sport

As I have said in the messages mate I sent you full photos of any kerbing and chips on the wheels even the mark that with have let water ingress under the clear coat. All in great detail.

You received the wheels and comment on how happy you were to receive the wheels.. then whilst you have owned them the clear coat has started to peel.

I asked you in the messages if you had jet washed your wheels which you denied and now it looks like you have.

As I said before I would have given you a full refund at the time of delivery but you said you were happy with condition and ran these for a month then jet washed and lifter the clear coat.

I disclosed all the chips so if you have damaged your wheels that's your problem

At the point you received, inspected, told me you were happy and fitted your wheels I see that as sold as seen

what you have done in the mean time is down to you but I shipped you clean wheels that came on my 335 when I bought it from BMW with 20 on the clock of 2011 car.

look at my build thread and you will see they were removed for 20's

the small pic is one of the close ups I send of the damage before postage. The large pic is the op's showing lifted clear coat on the same area

I would be surprised if these were re-furbed certainly I didn't do it and bmw didn't inform me that was so.

The op has accused me of refurbing them to sell them. I sold thsee to the op for 800£

Now a dog rough set that's straight goes for good money so why would I waste time money and effort to recon wheels and sell them in a used condition for only 800????

If I was in the business of refurbing wheels I would do it right and be selling them for 1600

800£ used wheels, the op said he was happy with them upon delivery, fitted them to his car and used them, jetwashed them at what looks like high pressure and wrecked them and isn't happy.

sorry pal but sold as seen

Last edited by RB2; 08-01-2014 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

As Frobious has said if the lips have been re-done/had the faces machined you do not want to use a jet wash or harsh chemicals.

I had one of my 313s lips re-machined not a full re-furb by BMW. I only hand wash my alloys with water so never had any issues. Then took it into BMW for a service and received one of the dreaded dealer washes through there jet wash. Complained and got the allow completely refurbed. Only the one allow which has been re-done was effected. Looked very milky all round the edges
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
M5rius
Banned
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2007 bmw e92  [9.00]
Sold as seen ,end of sorry . Maybe you went to hand car wash and they used acid on the wheels (most of them do) , maybe you touched the kerb and damaged the lacquer etc...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2 View Post

I would be surprised if these were re-furbed certainly I didn't do it and bmw didn't inform me that was so.

The op has accused me of refurbing them to sell them. I sold the to the op for 800£

Now a dog rough set that's straight goes for good money so why would I waste time money and effort to recon wheels and sell them in a used condition for only 800????

If I was in the business of refurbing wheels I would do it right and be selling them for 1600

800£ used wheels, the op said he was happy with them upon delivery, fitted them to his car and used them, jetwashed and isn't happy.

sorry pal but sold as seen

That is where you are going wrong!!!!

You have accused me that I could have brought the wheels into that position.

In response to that, I stated that you could have refurbished it and sold. I stated that I can say the same to you but not accused you of doing it. If your perception is different to what I have stated, then carry on!

I do not like accusing people but you are starting an argument for no reason!

I have stated the thread to give you a doubt of benefit on jet wash without mentioning your name or anything. Would a jet wash do that?

And I am asking opinions of independent forum members and especially those who have 313s. And I know few forum members who have 313s and jet wash never gave them any issues (as confirmed by bozz335i), unless wheels were refurbished poorly.

Frob stated that sold as seen and end off.

I am not expecting anything from you and not even mentioned your name and were not going to do so. You are involving yourself into it and starting an argument for no reason with an accusation to other person.

Thanks!
      08-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
Jet wash will rip anything off where there is the slightest imperfection. When BMW returned my wheels, or at least got so Rone to do it, all they did was mask the tyres and redo he fronts. I suspect that's what has been done to yours but hat the jetwash has been able to lift the edge of the imperfections where the wheel meets the tyre.

It's a real shame when someone sells you something and lies about the history. That said, you never know if was done before they got the wheels and you're just unlucky. Sadly, nothing you can do. Sold as seen.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz335i View Post
No. I jet washed my 313's every week. Nothing ever peeled/flaked off.

I never use the pencil attachment as this can take paint off of plastics.

Jet wash will take the paint off smart repairs. My wife's Audi had a few smart repairs that came off with the jet wash.

Are they genuine or reps? I know they came from the dealer, but they could still have been reps.
Genuine have BBS stamped inside.
Thanks. They are genuine. I take it that dealer refurbished the wheels. Not to mention that job was done poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
As Frobious has said if the lips have been re-done/had the faces machined you do not want to use a jet wash or harsh chemicals.

I had one of my 313s lips re-machined not a full re-furb by BMW. I only hand wash my alloys with water so never had any issues. Then took it into BMW for a service and received one of the dreaded dealer washes through there jet wash. Complained and got the allow completely refurbed. Only the one allow which has been re-done was effected. Looked very milky all round the edges
Dealers and their nuggets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5rius View Post
Sold as seen ,end of sorry . Maybe you went to hand car wash and they used acid on the wheels (most of them do) , maybe you touched the kerb and damaged the lacquer etc...
Thanks for your comment. Most of the time your comments are as brilliant as you are!

Yes, may be I kerbed them at 1, 3, 5, 5.5, 7, 7.5, 9, 11 and 12 o' clock position. And yes, may be I have kerbed all 4 wheels within few weeks. And then I will contact the seller asking him if wheels were refurbished and start a thread here....

Ohhhh, and yes any sensible person with good observation can spot the difference b/w kerbing and whats going on in the photos.
      08-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
RB2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Yes, may be I kerbed them at 1, 3, 5, 5.5, 7, 7.5, 9, 11 and 12 o' clock position. And yes, may be I have kerbed all 4 wheels within few weeks. And then I will contact the seller asking him if wheels were refurbished and start a thread here....

Ohhhh, and yes any sensible person with good observation can spot the difference b/w kerbing and whats going on in the photos.

To be honest mate any stone chip in the clear coat is enough for water to get in a delaminate the clear coat.

Diamond cut wheels are all the same. the surface is so smooth the clear doesn't get a hold of it.

then when you jet wash the wheels the clear lifts.

and yes it is possible for stone chips to happen all round the wheels.

end of the day you've lifted the clear with a jet wash and if the wheels were refurbed which I wasn't aware of it looks like the same jet wash has removed paint.

It happened to me with my e46 m3 diamond cut wheels as well that's how I knew not to use a jet wash on them..

its well documented on the internet and with dealers.

apologies your not happy... I would be pissed to if I wrecked my wheels

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2 View Post
To be honest mate any stone chip in the clear coat is enough for water to get in a delaminate the clear coat.

Diamond cut wheels are all the same. the surface is so smooth the clear doesn't get a hold of it.

then when you jet wash the wheels the clear lifts.

and yes it is possible for stone chips to happen all round the wheels.

end of the day you've lifted the clear with a jet wash and if the wheels were refurbed which I wasn't aware of it looks like the same jet wash has removed paint.

It happened to me with my e46 m3 diamond cut wheels as well that's how I knew not to use a jet wash on them..

its well documented on the internet and with dealers.

apologies your not happy... I would be pissed to if I wreaked my wheels
Thanks for understanding my situation. You buy wheels on the forum and 4 weeks later they are knackered.

And I understand your situation that as a seller you did not know.

Fair enough.

However one thing I am 99% sure. They are refurbished and done extremely poorly. I do not expect the ferric grey part to show imperfections which is happening.

Never mind, lesson learnt.

F**K 313 wheels as I cannot live with these if they are so poorly.

Will see if I can get rid of these.

Thanks.
      08-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

I had my 313's replaced by the dealer last week, two wheels had milking round the centre caps, but all 4 corners were replaced.

To the seller, could u try swapping them at ur dealers to help OP?

Mak shame bud, I could've swapped my pristine two wheels with urs had I known last week, all 4 of mine were getting replaced anyways

Mak get then refurbed at a proper place like Lepsons or wheel works in Crawley, coat it with a sealant like GTechnique C5 or Carpro DLUX, that should give u some level of protection, avoid jet wash if u possibly can
      08-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
Brian mc21
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 320d M Sport

I have a set of 313 reps that were quite poorly on the polished edges. I was never going to get them refurbed as it obviously would have cost too much so removed all the lacquer from the polished edges and polished them up. I'm well happy with them.
RVF400
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 335D Msport Saloon

I'm forever seeing the 'man and van' in doing refurb on polished wheels on nearly new cars at my place mate.They dremmel the lip and then blend in the lacquer,always still fitted to the car,and outside in all weathers which is pretty piss poor painting conditions.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz
I had my 313's replaced by the dealer last week, two wheels had milking round the centre caps, but all 4 corners were replaced.

To the seller, could u try swapping them at ur dealers to help OP?

Mak shame bud, I could've swapped my pristine two wheels with urs had I known last week, all 4 of mine were getting replaced anyways

Mak get then refurbed at a proper place like Lepsons or wheel works in Crawley, coat it with a sealant like GTechnique C5 or Carpro DLUX, that should give u some level of protection, avoid jet wash if u possibly can
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #15
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

I dont think it makes any difference how you wash them or what you do to diamond cut wheels, they WILL go milky no matter what.
When I got my wheels refurbed I was chatting to the bloke there, and he said they only give them a life expectancy of 6 months from a perfect refurb and will not guarantee them either. The very nature of bare metal and a thin layer of laquer is just a recipe for disaster!

Personally, I would get them sprayed all one colour (probably a nice bright silver), they will still look awesome (personally I think they will look even better) but will be a lot more durable.

I'd love a set myself, but if I ever got some I would get them sprayed before I even fitted them
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #16
wolly440
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320d msport

Can RB2 not take the wheels back to the dealer and demand they get sorted. He's only had the car 2 months, if its an AUC it should be covered. Can you guys come up with a solution?
      08-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #17
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
They will still go eventually, its pretty much guaranteed!
All you are every doing is trying to delay the inevitable
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #18
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Lepsons cost £360 for 19'' diamond cut....

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #19
Brian mc21
Major
No_Country
Rep

I think it's just poor quality with the 313s. I've said it before. The other half had a set of 19 rage alloys on her civic type r. These are a factory upgrade from honda. They were fitted to her first type r which was 07 then she put them on her 08 when she changed. The wheels must have been at least 4 years d of which we had them at least three of and they were never refurbed in our time and they were still almost 100%.
RVF400
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #20
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

i can tell the wheels are refurb as the wiggly line between the diamond cut and the painted bit was the same as mine which i got it refurb by custom cars, not sure why so many people rate them highly. i am in big headache like you now

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #21
RB2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolly440 View Post
Can RB2 not take the wheels back to the dealer and demand they get sorted. He's only had the car 2 months, if its an AUC it should be covered. Can you guys come up with a solution?
OP didn't post the details 100% i've had the car since April. The wheels were only on the car for 2 months of me owning it.

I didn't take the wheel insurance as I knew I would be swapping the wheels out.

I live up north of Scotland and the op is in Essex so its not handy.

-----

On cleaning them up, the way some folk do it is to stick nitormorse on the clear coat to remove it... then polish the bare metal.

you can get a mirror finish but you need to keep it waxed..

I am sure if you google it for e46 m3 wheels there will be plenty of threads on it...

Last edited by RB2; 08-01-2014 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #22
Brian mc21
Major
No_Country
Rep

I don't know if I would do what I done to my reps to a set of originals. It takes away the fine cut lines on the face if you know what I mean but it may be worth a go if you don't want to spend anymore money on them. I have only run mine for a month or so and just gave them a quick autosol up after the last wash but they are like the day I done them. The pic below shows the difference though I hadn't polished it up at this stage.
RVF400
Appreciate 0