Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
4532
Rep
16,779
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
▀▄ eas | DIY: Valentine One Radar Detector Hardwire

My V1 radar detector has never let me down. Its like a trusty co-pilot I've had for years, and usually one of the first things to do to a new daily.

I've never been a fan of the telephone cord visible on the windshield. While V1 has recently released the Savvy, it's just additional clutter in the cabin area and I'd probably end up taking it out with a wild kick by accident one day. Instead, we'll be hardwiring the V1 to turn on/off with the ignition.

Items Needed
- Valentine One Radar Detector
- Valentine One Hardwire Kit
- RJ11 Interface Cable
- (2) ScotchLock wire clips (not pictured, Red 18-22AWG)
- (2) Male Spade connectors (18-22AWG)

1. Start by crimping the spade connectors onto the hardwire kit.


2. Pull off trim plate on sunroof panel/light cluster.


3. With a small pocket screwdriver, press the retaining tab while slightly pulling on sunroof module and work out of place. There are (2) retaining tabs on opposite sides.


4. Remove plastic mirror housing by pulling apart. Crimp ScotchLocks onto wires as follows: Green/Brown Stripe & Brown/Black Stripe.


5. Route Power/Ground leads through headliner to exit by driver's side of rearview mirror.


6. Pull some slack on connecting leads by driver's side of rearview mirror.


7. Connect spade connectors to ScotchLocks as follows: Green/Brown = +12V Switched/KL30 & Brown/Black = Ground.


8. Connect RJ11 cable to [MAIN] port on V1 Hardwire Kit.


9. Reinstall mirror housing, route RJ11 cable through headliner to driver's side of mirror.


10. Reinstall remaining trim pieces and plug into RJ11 port on V1. Press START button and test.


Install is complete. Verify V1 position is clear of headliner and does not interfere with sun visor.

This and much more covered in our journal thread here: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1020487.

Enjoy and safe driving out there!
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 03-21-2016 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 8
      08-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
batchelorc
Captain
batchelorc's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
607
Posts

Drives: Deez nuts
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

Great instructions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
Sir Loin's Avatar
United_States
286
Rep
1,854
Posts

Drives: Silverstone F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Excellent tutorial!

Your link at the end is broken with the '...' in the middle. This is the correct link:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1020487
__________________
2015 F80 M3 | SSII ext SO int | M-DCT | 19" Black Wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
4532
Rep
16,779
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Excellent tutorial!

Your link at the end is broken with the '...' in the middle. This is the correct link:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1020487
Post edited with non-truncated link, thanks for the heads up.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Pleather
New Member
1
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

I've been waiting for someone to post this....much thanks. Question though. Did you access the wires under the light dome or did you also remove the housing around the mirror? When I jumped into this last night, I could only find those wires in the small harness leading to the mirror. Unfortunately I'm still not getting power...???
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
4532
Rep
16,779
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleather View Post
I've been waiting for someone to post this....much thanks. Question though. Did you access the wires under the light dome or did you also remove the housing around the mirror? When I jumped into this last night, I could only find those wires in the small harness leading to the mirror. Unfortunately I'm still not getting power...???
Either works. It's easier to tap into the wiring behind the mirror clamshell since they are not wrapped up in tape and route back underneath the interior light housing.

Double-check your connections with a digital multimeter, also make sure the spade connector blade inserts into the slot (and doesn't push) aside when inserting into the scotchlock, not making contact.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #7
tooch
Captain
United_States
99
Rep
807
Posts

Drives: F82
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NOR-CAL

iTrader: (0)

this is what Ill be doing once I can find the crimp piece of the set up. that goes on the wire I had to leave those on my e92. Anyone know where to buy these? Any pep boys ? Thanks
__________________

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
celler
Private
celler's Avatar
12
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Palm Beach

iTrader: (0)

Thank you for the detailed instructions. I see that you did not opt for the concealed display. Has anyone run the wiring for that? Any preferred place? I'm trying to find a spot on the instrument cluster where I won't block information. I suppose I could use the Android app for the display for that although I do not know if using the Android app turns off the display on the V1 the way the concealed display does. Plus, the Android phone is busy running Waze which is a wonderful app.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
4532
Rep
16,779
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooch View Post
this is what Ill be doing once I can find the crimp piece of the set up. that goes on the wire I had to leave those on my e92. Anyone know where to buy these? Any pep boys ? Thanks
Scotchlocks can be found at any radio shack or 12V installation shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celler View Post
Thank you for the detailed instructions. I see that you did not opt for the concealed display. Has anyone run the wiring for that? Any preferred place? I'm trying to find a spot on the instrument cluster where I won't block information. I suppose I could use the Android app for the display for that although I do not know if using the Android app turns off the display on the V1 the way the concealed display does. Plus, the Android phone is busy running Waze which is a wonderful app.
The cable can be run down the A-pillar if you want, just make sure not to get in way of the airbag.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
celler
Private
celler's Avatar
12
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Palm Beach

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The cable can be run down the A-pillar if you want, just make sure not to get in way of the airbag.
I'm not sure how to do that without removing the A-pillar. I've always just carefully stuffed wires behind it, but that was before side airbags.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
4532
Rep
16,779
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Had a couple of V1 wiring inquires, bumping to the top of the list.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #12
M427
Registered
M427's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4, 2019 X7, 2004 R1200C
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

Great idea with the scotchlock wire clips and tapping behind the mirror. I set out to install my V1 Hardwire Kit this weekend, only to be tripped up on the "ground the black wire" step. There is absolutely no metal to be found under that carbon fiber roof! Now,off to Radio Shack...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #13
Sivart321
Private
Sivart321's Avatar
27
Rep
87
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Do you know if there are any non-switched 12v sources in that same location?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #14
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
4532
Rep
16,779
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivart321 View Post
Do you know if there are any non-switched 12v sources in that same location?
Not aware of any that do not go into sleep mode in that particular location, sorry.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #15
JDUni1
Lieutenant
JDUni1's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
505
Posts

Drives: '15 M3, '12 135i (Sold)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
My V1 has never let me down. Its like a trusty co-pilot I've had for years, and usually one of the first things to do to a new daily.

I've never been a fan of the telephone cord visible on the windshield. While V1 has recently released the Savvy, it's just additional clutter in the cabin area and I'd probably end up taking it out with a wild kick by accident one day. Instead, we'll be hardwiring the V1 to turn on/off with the ignition.

Items Needed
- Valentine One Radar Detector
- Valentine One Hardwire Kit
- RJ11 Interface Cable
- (2) ScotchLock wire clips (not pictured, Red 18-22AWG)
- (2) Male Spade connectors (18-22AWG)

8. Connect RJ11 cable to [MAIN] port on V1 Hardwire Kit.

Tom, where did you stash the interface module that wired the RJ11 cord to the V1 as shown in this pic? Do you have a better pic of where you attached this?
__________________
2015 Alpine White ///M3 | Sakhir Orange/Black Extended Merino Leather | 6MT | Lighting Package | Harmon Kardon | H&R Sport Springs (F32) | iND Cosmetic Treatment | M Performance Spoiler | 19" HRE 301M Frozen Red| Mode Carbon Trophy R1 Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #16
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
4532
Rep
16,779
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUni1 View Post
Tom, where did you stash the interface module that wired the RJ11 cord to the V1 as shown in this pic? Do you have a better pic of where you attached this?
There's a small space above the driver's side visor everything can tuck into. Wouldn't hurt to add some insulation to keep the splitter from rattling around.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 12-01-2014 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #17
JDUni1
Lieutenant
JDUni1's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
505
Posts

Drives: '15 M3, '12 135i (Sold)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUni1 View Post
Tom, where did you stash the interface module that wired the RJ11 cord to the V1 as shown in this pic? Do you have a better pic of where you attached this?
There's a small space above the driver's side visor everything can tuck into. Wouldn't hurt to add some insulation to keep the splitter from rattling around.
Thanks!
__________________
2015 Alpine White ///M3 | Sakhir Orange/Black Extended Merino Leather | 6MT | Lighting Package | Harmon Kardon | H&R Sport Springs (F32) | iND Cosmetic Treatment | M Performance Spoiler | 19" HRE 301M Frozen Red| Mode Carbon Trophy R1 Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #18
GBGASTOWERS
New Member
United_States
4
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 CONV MT,YMB,SS
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WINSTON-SALEM, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Either works. It's easier to tap into the wiring behind the mirror clamshell since they are not wrapped up in tape and route back underneath the interior light housing.

Double-check your connections with a digital multimeter, also make sure the spade connector blade inserts into the slot (and doesn't push) aside when inserting into the scotchlock, not making contact.
I wasn't getting power either. Turns out the wires I was tapping into by the mirror were so small I had to pinch the metal a bit closer for the scotchlock to actually make contact with the wire I was tapping. Fixed the no power problem and now have a clean install.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 07:55 PM   #19
GBGASTOWERS
New Member
United_States
4
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 CONV MT,YMB,SS
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WINSTON-SALEM, NC

iTrader: (0)

By the way I did it on my M4 conv so the dome light housing is different. It has 4 metal clips that hold it in (2 front. 2 backside) Plus you have to remove a trim bezel first. I just pulled the rain sensor/mirror windshield trim apart grasping it from the top.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #20
PDACPA
Major General
5
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: F33 M Sport 435i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Can you post a pic of your install in your M4 convertible? I have a 435 Convertible and thinking of hardwiring my V-1.
__________________
2014 F33 Blk/Blk MSport 435i
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #21
DaBean
Sakhir Smurf
United_States
302
Rep
592
Posts

Drives: F82 M4, E46 M3, E53 X5
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 'Merica

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the writeup.

Two questions / requests for confirmation:

1) Does this work well without the sunroof? Any risk of "burning" the wires as the V1 will draw more current than they were designed for?

2) Does the V1 turn on/off as the start/stop function is enabled?
__________________
2015 M4: Sakhir on Sakhir | M-DCT | Adaptive Suspension | Lighting | Executive | Cameras | HK Sound | Full Leather
2004 M3: Laguna Seca Blue | SMGII | Basic track mods: 18" Square setup on R888s / Performance Friction rotors / SS Lines / Ground Control Street/Track Kit / DTC-60 Pads
NASA NorCal Instructor
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 08:09 PM   #22
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
4532
Rep
16,779
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBean View Post
Thanks for the writeup.

Two questions / requests for confirmation:

1) Does this work well without the sunroof? Any risk of "burning" the wires as the V1 will draw more current than they were designed for?

2) Does the V1 turn on/off as the start/stop function is enabled?
We have the V1 installed on our carbon-roof equipped M4, this is a switched +12V line, so it will turn on/off properly with the ignition.

No issues with Start/Stop.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
eas, hardwire, radar, valentine

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST