E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Differences across the Pond

01-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Differences across the Pond

I have been fascinated by the differences that appear to exist between BMW drivers in the U.K. and the U.S.A.

335 models appear common place in U.S. - they are expensive cars in the U.K.

4 year/50,000 mile warranty in the U.S. -3 year/unlimited mileage in the U.K.

Standard servicing free in the U.S., not in the U.K.

Options much cheaper in the U.S. but stock cars not so well equipped in the first place.

Judging by some of the threads, quite a number of American posters don't appear to know a lot about your cars -err.... same in U.K.

American posters almost seem to take for granted that dealers will do lots of things for them for nothing, like loaners for the smallest problems and of equal status to the car that's in the shop, expecting things like wiper blades to be replaced for free (jealous) modifying their cars and still expecting the warranty to be honoured even though it might have had some connection to the fault -I stand in awe. If we poor Brits tried any of that our stealers would bring out the shotguns! - or just laugh.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Rimola
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dodge Viper

i hope they are licensed to carry that shotgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Still imagine the number of farts cloth seats absorb over 4 years???
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Safety2213
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Manual M-Sport

I think that UK cars come with LESS options. U can even order with cloth. I prefer the ability to better customize a car in the UK than in the US. For example, I would rather forgo a sunroof and have the Mtech body kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

The UK definitely has MORE options, that's for sure. Go configure a 3 at bmwuk, it's ridiculous. I think you guys have different versions of iDrive and whatnot, it's crazy.

...and you guys get M-Sport kits...no fair
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Ha. I was in for my '30k service' today. What a joke and waste of time that was. All they did was change my wiper blades, lol.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
ukthunderace
Autobahn Cruiser
Germany
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Tief Gruen

I agree to a point Alan. My father in law used to work for a BMW dealer in Oxford as the service manager. They really went out of their way to make things good for their customers, including loaners etc. That may be because it is Oxford and the clientele were quite well off (actors and politicians and such). He quit there and moved down to Gerrard's Cross in the early 90's and things were completely different there. Whether it was because of the change in location, or just that times were changing, customer service took a real backseat there...it was all about making money.
Customer service used to be all important in the US (at least when I lived there), but things seem different now on the service and the consumer side. The consumer has come to expect something for nothing every time they walk in the dealership, as if they have bought a country club membership rather than a car. The dealers are all about making money hand over fist. There is no meeting in the middle. Greedy consumers and greedy dealers.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 12:14 AM   #7
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I want Front PDC!!!
      01-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
American posters almost seem to take for granted that dealers will do lots of things for them for nothing, like loaners for the smallest problems and of equal status to the car that's in the shop, expecting things like wiper blades to be replaced for free (jealous) modifying their cars and still expecting the warranty to be honoured even though it might have had some connection to the fault -I stand in awe. If we poor Brits tried any of that our stealers would bring out the shotguns! - or just laugh.
Tell me about it...
      01-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 N53B30

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
No free maintenance in UK? It’s different than Continental Europe. We have 5 years / 100,000 km free maintenance but only two years warranty.
      01-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
bobr2001
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I want Front PDC!!!
I'll give you mine. They suck! I want turn them off.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #11
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Perhaps you can confirm, does USA get a car alarm and immobiliser as standard? The alarm fitted in Britain is the best available from the point of view of insurance companies (Thatcham Catgegory 1)

Four cylinder coupes don't get all electric seats as standard - just partial electric but then I'm quite pleased because manually tilting and sliding the front seats for passenger access to the rear seats is a lot quicker - and it often rains here.
DO you guys have leather seats as standard? It's extra in all models here. Metallic paint is only standard from the 330 upwards. The Professional radio is standard here. Sat Nav Pro costs about $4,000 here so we don't all buy it. Even basic bluetooth is $1,100 and I can buy a far more feature laden after-market item for $400 installed.
It seems to be a really mixed picture. As has been said, the mainland Europe warranty is two years and European car companies apparently buy third year warranties from insurance companies to give Britons their 3 year warranty.

I would hope that my dealer would give me a loan car if mine was to be in for any length of time for warranty repairs but I wouldn't expect, as by right, to drive away in something better than mine.
Appreciate 0