E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New E93 Owner - Query on Imrovements / modifications

01-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
TL335i
Barbera Road Rash
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Space Gray & 328i wagon

New E93 Owner - Query on Imrovements / modifications

Great News - My new 335i E93 (Barbera Red, Saddle interior, sport, premium, HD radio, step with paddles,etc.) arrived at the port in San Diego yesterday. Should be trucked up to the Bay Area next week.

Question for the board: I am looking at various "improvements" including the BMW aero package and the Dinan tune. However, I was planning on driving the car stock for a bit first before I start customizing it (maybe 3 to 6 months). Is there any downside to not having body and tuning work done immediately? The tuning work seems like a no brainer to do later as I want to get the feel of the car in a stock condition so I can fully appreciate the impact of the tune. I also would like to get the engine and related systems "worked in" before I start making changes.

Regarding exterior work like the aero package, is there any concern about waiting 6 months? I have no idea how paint, etc. is matched and don't know if its best to have such work done asap when the car is new.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Last week of waiting!!!!
TL335i
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I wouldn't worry about it - the one plus is the aero package will cover all the parking curb marks you get on the bottom of your bumper while you are getting used to the car - paint will match as good then as it will now! I just did the front aero lip on my car a few weeks ago and it looks awesome (don't really like how the rear areo piece looks, so just got the front one - get it from Longtran on the forum - he did an excellent job on it!)

Also just did a smarttop module (www.mods4cars.com) - highly recommended with one touch roof up and down from in the car or from the remote and motion when the car is moving - all the things it should do from the factory!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
gundamfans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
I had my aero kit added onto my 335i E90 7 months later and the dealership did a good job with the paint so you can't really see any visible difference unless you use magnifying glass. But, for most aero kits, it's impact on performance is not so that any of us would really notice so you can do it earlier if you want. For Dinan flash, I suggest you wait and let the engine break-in first.
2007 E90 335i|6MT|Sapphire Black Metallic|Black Leather|Aluminum Trim|ZSP|ZPP|CWP|Aluminum Pedals|M-Aero Kit|Blackline Tailights|E46 ZHP Knob|Euro Foglight Switch|M-Sport Perforated Leather steering wheel|M-Sport Perforated E-Brake|Front Carbon Fibre Splitter Kit|BMW Performance 19" Wheels|Meisterschaft Touring Exhaust Full Cat-Back System
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
TL335i
Barbera Road Rash
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Space Gray & 328i wagon

RoadKillRob:
Were able to buy the just the front aero lip, or did you have to buy the back as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just the front - you can buy the pieces separately - PM Longtran on this forum - he will ship you the front Aero piece painted to match your car including shipping for under 500 bucks - paint is great and a very good match - installation is really easy anyone can handle it - it is about 6 screws and some 3m 2way tape to put it on.

Best cosmetic mod for the money in my book - totally changes the look of the car and is much more aggressive!

Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
checuervo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Garage List
2008 E93  [0.00]
I 2nd Rob on the SmartTOP ... it's make the E93 the way it should have been all along.

The only other suggestion I might have is a clear bra (though not through the dealer) for the bumper. I woke up to a nasty scrape that's all the way through the paint. Would have probably been fine if I had the clear bra, and adding a bra now is too late in the game.

MachIII in South San Francisco has gotten good recs for their bra ... wish I'd done it. :/

1989 Ford Tempo, blue
1984 Toyota Van, brown
1982 Volvo Station wagon, yellow
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

yup just PM longtran for the aerolip. he does a great job.

i don't think there are any drawbacks of waiting a little bit... unless you plan on selling the things you swap out. i sold my 188 wheels rightaway when my car arrived.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by checuervo View Post
I 2nd Rob on the SmartTOP ... it's make the E93 the way it should have been all along.

The only other suggestion I might have is a clear bra (though not through the dealer) for the bumper. I woke up to a nasty scrape that's all the way through the paint. Would have probably been fine if I had the clear bra, and adding a bra now is too late in the game.

MachIII in South San Francisco has gotten good recs for their bra ... wish I'd done it. :/
+1 on clear bra right away... before even leaving the dealer... you'll be surprized how soon your car gets scratches in the front end.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yes - +1 on clearbra - got it on all my cars and it is a lifesaver - dealer usually over charges - I got them down to $550 which isn't too bad- lots of them charge 700+. Materials are about 300 for this car and a couple hours to install, so $450 is probably as cheap as you could get it - $500 would be a real decent deal on it (it's another money maker for the dealer with 100% markup a lot of times.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
Winston Wolf
Tax Paying, Gun Toting American Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

My buddy owns a body shop. The clear bra film from 3M costs 175$ for a 7 ft roll (x12" wide I think), which is how much you need for the hood, fender tips, and mirrors. My dealer charges $595 for this. He is charging me $225..... Most don't do the bumper, as the plastic is more flexible that the metal and does not hold the tape as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
Brian GT PRO
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i E92

There are a few things you can do that are really mild and reverseable.

1. Front end protection by 3M clear bra OR there is a newer thing called PPS which is a resin based spray on clear that you cannot see like a 3M., and is just as durable.
2. Split Second Turbo Tuner, this is a 2 min. install (no kidding) and makes 40hp/50ft lbs tq and can be removed in 2 mins. if you have to go to the dealer.
3. Suspension lowering, you have the simple H&R, or more exotic KW, my personal preference is KW Variant 3 as for the money it can't be beat for adjustability.
4. Wheels, this is a subjective matter, but a nice set up upgraded wheels will really enhance the look of the car.
5. Tint, this will give you a nice look and help to sheild the interior from UV when it's all closed up that is since you have a E93.
6. Since you have a E93, and the top will be down a lot I presume, you will need a really good leather cleaner and conditioner, I reccomend CPR, it is easy to use all in one, and is NOT greasy, and will not *shine* up the leather, it leaves a nice matte surface the way a BMW interior should look.
7. Get a good car cover like a Cover King, and get it in the Auto Armor material, it is simply the best, I've tried sooo many materials, there is NOTHING like this stuff, it's great outside and inside.
8. Exhaust system flapper mod, open the small access cover at the drivers side rear tasillight inside the trunk, it's just a small piece of rug that you gently pull back, you will see a small 2 wire plug, that has a stiff wire across the top of it, you simply push that wire with your thumb, and gently pull the connector loose, this will open up the secondary butterfly in the exhaust, you will hear a light *clink* this is the valve opening and will only happen this one time ever. Now you will enjoy a better *correct sounding* exhaust. This is a MUCH better than the *Golf Tee mod*.

I hope this help!!

PM me if you need any other help!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
sterns
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 SMB F83

Garage List
2020 M4 F83  [0.00]
2016 F83 M4 Vert  [0.00]
+1 on clearbra. I had mine done by Vincent at Omega Tintwerks in Pleasanton. He also did my tint.

He did a great job on both, highly recommended.