European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
hdubf80
Captain
hdubf80's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
636
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Irvine CA

iTrader: (0)

Brakes Making Vibrations and Weird Noises

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2015 ///M3 with steel brakes and about 4000 miles on the odo. I did the break in procedures for the brakes and tires properly but I've been having some issues since the beginning while braking especially when its a hard stop or slowing down from high speeds. The brakes make a loud grinding/vibrating noise which fills up the cabin and can be felt through the wheel. My service tech checked the car and said everything was ok. I thought it would go away after a few thousand miles but it hasnt. Anyone ever experienced this or have any input on what it could be and how i could remedy this? This shouldn't sound like that on a brand new car and is kinda embarrassing with passengers. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
TRZ06's Avatar
United_States
612
Rep
1,755
Posts

Drives: 16' M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubf80
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2015 ///M3 with steel brakes and about 4000 miles on the odo. I did the break in procedures for the brakes and tires properly but I've been having some issues since the beginning while braking especially when its a hard stop or slowing down from high speeds. The brakes make a loud grinding/vibrating noise which fills up the cabin and can be felt through the wheel. My service tech checked the car and said everything was ok. I thought it would go away after a few thousand miles but it hasnt. Anyone ever experienced this or have any input on what it could be and how i could remedy this? This shouldn't sound like that on a brand new car and is kinda embarrassing with passengers. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
This has been covered several times in various threads.

Bottom line... It's the pad compound.
__________________
18? Camaro 2SS 1LE
16' M3 MG Ext. /SO Int. (DCT, Ohlin R/T, 19" wheels)
15' Audi S4
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
hdubf80
Captain
hdubf80's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
636
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Irvine CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
This has been covered several times in various threads.

Bottom line... It's the pad compound.
Thank you for the reply and the clarification. Hope there is a easy fix for this...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #4
KmanEng
New Member
KmanEng's Avatar
Cayman Islands
5
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 MW/BK
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Cayman Islands

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Happens on mine too. Only under heavy braking. I don't think I've ever had a passenger in the car when I've driven that hard though.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
hdubf80
Captain
hdubf80's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
636
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Irvine CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmanEng View Post
Happens on mine too. Only under heavy braking. I don't think I've ever had a passenger in the car when I've driven that hard though.
This is my only complain with the car. And for a $80,000 + car bmw needs to address this issue especially with all the money they make. I hope enough people complain about this so they provide us with a decent fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
bradleym
Second Lieutenant
United_States
278
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 SS/BK DCT
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubf80 View Post
This is my only complain with the car. And for a $80,000 + car bmw needs to address this issue especially with all the money they make. I hope enough people complain about this so they provide us with a decent fix.
There isn't really anything for BMW to do -- it is likely a matter of how you treat the brakes when brand new. I didn't see this issue on my F80, but have had other cars where i'd experience the 'shimmy' while braking from say, 70-50, sometimes so bad the steering wheel would shake.

to the best of my understanding, this is caused by clamping the (hot) brakes after a stop while they are new, before the pads have settled in. under these conditions, it can happen that a microscopic amount of the pad will transfer to the rotor and form an imperfection that is impossible to see, and only exhibits this behavior at certain speeds.

the only fix i know of is to replace the rotor (perhaps merely turning it will work -- i'm sure these are expensive rotors) and pads. then, for first few miles, be very careful not to sit at stoplights or elsewhere with the brakes clamped tight when they are hot. with the dct, this isn't too difficult, and it is what i did when the F80 was new. in my volvo, i simply use the handbrake after stopping to keep the car stationary.

after, say, 100 miles your pads/rotors should be well matched and this is no longer an issue. hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 02:33 PM   #7
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
TRZ06's Avatar
United_States
612
Rep
1,755
Posts

Drives: 16' M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleym
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubf80 View Post
This is my only complain with the car. And for a $80,000 + car bmw needs to address this issue especially with all the money they make. I hope enough people complain about this so they provide us with a decent fix.
There isn't really anything for BMW to do -- it is likely a matter of how you treat the brakes when brand new. I didn't see this issue on my F80, but have had other cars where i'd experience the 'shimmy' while braking from say, 70-50, sometimes so bad the steering wheel would shake.

to the best of my understanding, this is caused by clamping the (hot) brakes after a stop while they are new, before the pads have settled in. under these conditions, it can happen that a microscopic amount of the pad will transfer to the rotor and form an imperfection that is impossible to see, and only exhibits this behavior at certain speeds.

the only fix i know of is to replace the rotor (perhaps merely turning it will work -- i'm sure these are expensive rotors) and pads. then, for first few miles, be very careful not to sit at stoplights or elsewhere with the brakes clamped tight when they are hot. with the dct, this isn't too difficult, and it is what i did when the F80 was new. in my volvo, i simply use the handbrake after stopping to keep the car stationary.

after, say, 100 miles your pads/rotors should be well matched and this is no longer an issue. hope this helps.
NOPE

I have driven multiple F80/82 M's and they all do regardless of miles
__________________
18? Camaro 2SS 1LE
16' M3 MG Ext. /SO Int. (DCT, Ohlin R/T, 19" wheels)
15' Audi S4
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
SakhirM4
Major General
SakhirM4's Avatar
United_States
10734
Rep
8,852
Posts

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
NOPE

I have driven multiple F80/82 M's and they all do regardless of miles
Don't have that problem with my M4, so they don't all do it.
__________________
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
bradleym
Second Lieutenant
United_States
278
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 SS/BK DCT
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
NOPE

I have driven multiple F80/82 M's and they all do regardless of miles
pretty definitive, eh?

i've driven several F80s as well, including my own -- there has been no vibration under braking, and the only sound was at the beginning, under braking they sounded a bit like the energy recapture system on a p1 car, but that went away after a bit.

if not what i described above, what IS the cause of this issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #10
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
1052
Rep
2,285
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago Illinois USA

iTrader: (0)

My brakes do this too - off and on - sometimes it is there - sometimes it is not. It most commonly happens while decelerating above 40 mph. I've had 2 sets of front rotors/pads replaced under warranty and 1 set of rears under warranty for "warped rotors."

I brake the same way on the F8x as all my previous cars - have never had this issue on any other car. For the last set of rotors and pads I made sure to break them in exactly as stated in the owners manual - and noticed no vibration or sound during that break-in period. But then several hundred miles after the break-in mileage had been surpassed - it came back again - but only 50% or so of the time.

Maybe it is just the pad compound - maybe it is winter road conditions - or - sometimes I feel that maybe I don't apply the brakes hard enough. Hopefully one of us will figure it out - as this has been reported by quite a few forum members...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 03:37 AM   #11
hdubf80
Captain
hdubf80's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
636
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Irvine CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
My brakes do this too - off and on - sometimes it is there - sometimes it is not. It most commonly happens while decelerating above 40 mph. I've had 2 sets of front rotors/pads replaced under warranty and 1 set of rears under warranty for "warped rotors."

I brake the same way on the F8x as all my previous cars - have never had this issue on any other car. For the last set of rotors and pads I made sure to break them in exactly as stated in the owners manual - and noticed no vibration or sound during that break-in period. But then several hundred miles after the break-in mileage had been surpassed - it came back again - but only 50% or so of the time.

Maybe it is just the pad compound - maybe it is winter road conditions - or - sometimes I feel that maybe I don't apply the brakes hard enough. Hopefully one of us will figure it out - as this has been reported by quite a few forum members...
Would getting aftermarket pads remedy this?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 06:43 AM   #12
jritt@essex
jritt@essex's Avatar
United_States
745
Rep
680
Posts

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

It sounds like you may possibly have uneven pad deposits on your discs. As described above...at some point when the brakes were hot, some pad material got stuck to the face of the disc. That pad material creates a high spot, and every time the disc spins past the caliper the pad hits that hump on the disc causing a vibration. The only potential solution if that is the problem is to scrub the disc and start over with a fresh bed-in procedure.

That said, if the noise is really that sever and causing an actual grinding noise (not vibration) in the cabin, it could be something different. Have you actually pulled the pads out and inspected them? Believe it or not, sometimes debris gets caught in a caliper (small rocks, etc.), and can make a mess of things.

These issues are tough to diagnose without actually seeing the car. Describing noises is always tricky!

If you do want to try a different set of pads, we have a great Ferodo compound that is perfect for the street/autoX...DS2500. We have it front and rear for the F80.

Front

Rear
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #13
hdubf80
Captain
hdubf80's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
636
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Irvine CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
It sounds like you may possibly have uneven pad deposits on your discs. As described above...at some point when the brakes were hot, some pad material got stuck to the face of the disc. That pad material creates a high spot, and every time the disc spins past the caliper the pad hits that hump on the disc causing a vibration. The only potential solution if that is the problem is to scrub the disc and start over with a fresh bed-in procedure.

That said, if the noise is really that sever and causing an actual grinding noise (not vibration) in the cabin, it could be something different. Have you actually pulled the pads out and inspected them? Believe it or not, sometimes debris gets caught in a caliper (small rocks, etc.), and can make a mess of things.

These issues are tough to diagnose without actually seeing the car. Describing noises is always tricky!

If you do want to try a different set of pads, we have a great Ferodo compound that is perfect for the street/autoX...DS2500. We have it front and rear for the F80.

Front

Rear
Ill see what my SA can do next time i take it in for a wash
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #14
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
TRZ06's Avatar
United_States
612
Rep
1,755
Posts

Drives: 16' M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubf80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
It sounds like you may possibly have uneven pad deposits on your discs. As described above...at some point when the brakes were hot, some pad material got stuck to the face of the disc. That pad material creates a high spot, and every time the disc spins past the caliper the pad hits that hump on the disc causing a vibration. The only potential solution if that is the problem is to scrub the disc and start over with a fresh bed-in procedure.

That said, if the noise is really that sever and causing an actual grinding noise (not vibration) in the cabin, it could be something different. Have you actually pulled the pads out and inspected them? Believe it or not, sometimes debris gets caught in a caliper (small rocks, etc.), and can make a mess of things.

These issues are tough to diagnose without actually seeing the car. Describing noises is always tricky!

If you do want to try a different set of pads, we have a great Ferodo compound that is perfect for the street/autoX...DS2500. We have it front and rear for the F80.

Front

Rear
Ill see what my SA can do next time i take it in for a wash
I've gone thru that with my SA.

They even pulled the rotors, measured them for runout, everything within spec.

SA (shop foreman) even went out of his way to drive the 3 M's that were on the lot, they all did it.

He even acknowledged the noise, but said there was nothing to do and called it normal.
__________________
18? Camaro 2SS 1LE
16' M3 MG Ext. /SO Int. (DCT, Ohlin R/T, 19" wheels)
15' Audi S4
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 04:23 PM   #15
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
TRZ06's Avatar
United_States
612
Rep
1,755
Posts

Drives: 16' M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Here is my paperwork
Attached Images
 
__________________
18? Camaro 2SS 1LE
16' M3 MG Ext. /SO Int. (DCT, Ohlin R/T, 19" wheels)
15' Audi S4
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #16
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
1052
Rep
2,285
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago Illinois USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Here is my paperwork
In addition to the groaning noise - did you also feel a little bit of vibration through the steering wheel? Sometimes I get the vibration through the steering wheel - sometimes I don't (decelerating above 40 mph).
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:12 AM   #17
hdubf80
Captain
hdubf80's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
636
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Irvine CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
In addition to the groaning noise - did you also feel a little bit of vibration through the steering wheel? Sometimes I get the vibration through the steering wheel - sometimes I don't (decelerating above 40 mph).
I get the vibration with the groaning/drone noise under hard deceleration above 40. Im wondering if it's an issue with the deposit on the disc how come it doesn't do it below 40 and how come it comes and goes? This is the my only issue I have with the car and for it to be an ///M is upsetting. I expected more from their engineers
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #18
AUTOX08MC
Private
AUTOX08MC's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
51
Posts

Drives: 16 M4
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (1)

My experience is that drilled rotors make a very distinctive noise that could be described as groaning/droning at times
__________________
2016 BMW M4 MW 6SPD,2005 Honda S2000
2014 Subaru STI (Sold),2008 BMW Z4 MC (Sold)
2012 VW GTI (Sold),2006 Subaru STI (Sold)
2003 Subaru WRX (Sold),1996 Mustang Cobra (Sold)
1986 Dodge Shelby Charger (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:15 AM   #19
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
TRZ06's Avatar
United_States
612
Rep
1,755
Posts

Drives: 16' M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOX08MC
My experience is that drilled rotors make a very distinctive noise that could be described as groaning/droning at times
That's not true at all.

I have had many cars with stock drilled rotors now (including the E90 M3), and none of them do what these brakes do.
__________________
18? Camaro 2SS 1LE
16' M3 MG Ext. /SO Int. (DCT, Ohlin R/T, 19" wheels)
15' Audi S4
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #20
phantome46
Captain
phantome46's Avatar
United Kingdom
104
Rep
932
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 Convertible - Sakhir
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Herts

iTrader: (2)

I have exactly the same issue with mine - its been into the dealers twice and both times they have given it back saying nothing is wrong.

I think for such an expensive car this should not be an issue. I carefully bedded my discs and pads in as per advice and mine has developed as the car has got older.

Wish there was a fix for this?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #21
hdubf80
Captain
hdubf80's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
636
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Irvine CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
That's not true at all.

I have had many cars with stock drilled rotors now (including the E90 M3), and none of them do what these brakes do.
Same here. My e60 M5 never had this problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #22
hdubf80
Captain
hdubf80's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
636
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Irvine CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantome46 View Post
I have exactly the same issue with mine - its been into the dealers twice and both times they have given it back saying nothing is wrong.

I think for such an expensive car this should not be an issue. I carefully bedded my discs and pads in as per advice and mine has developed as the car has got older.

Wish there was a fix for this?
Me too. Its ridiculous to have this issue. Disappointed is an understatement.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST