E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Any interests in pre cut vinyl wraps?

03-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Any interests in pre cut vinyl wraps?

Thinking about possibly offering pre cut vinyl pieces to make it easier for those who are not local or just simply want to go the DIY route.

However, I am trying to get an idea of what you guys would be most interested in having pre cut pieces made for.

Not every thing will be practical to do with pre cut pieces, but throw out some ideas/suggestions/thoughts/etc.

-Don
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
buly34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335xi 6MT

I have 2 suggestions...

1. Making clear vinyls that cover the whole front bumper and hood? I bet a lot of people would be interested in saving their paint. It would have to cover the whole surface, IMO the clear vinyls that cover 1/3 of the hood look bad.

2. Making a carbon fiber roof wrap, for those who want the M look.
      03-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
Swish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sport

For the front bumper, part of the hood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
Thinking about possibly offering pre cut vinyl pieces to make it easier for those who are not local or just simply want to go the DIY route.

However, I am trying to get an idea of what you guys would be most interested in having pre cut pieces made for.

Not every thing will be practical to do with pre cut pieces, but throw out some ideas/suggestions/thoughts/etc.

-Don
...not the entire hood as someone suggested. Just about the first few feet is perfect, the headlights, and the backs of both side mirrors. I had X-Pel (from Dupont) installed on the BMW I sold last year, and they covered all of those parts for me and installed them for about $1,000.00. I don't even want to think about installing them myself, but it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

What exactly does "pre-cut" stand for in this case? "Pre-cut" to what size and/or shape?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep

They already have pre cut clear bra pieces for either full or partial hoods, so that's something already easily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
What exactly does "pre-cut" stand for in this case? "Pre-cut" to what size and/or shape?
What does pre cut to you mean?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
What does pre cut to you mean?
(To a literate person "pre-cut" can mean a lot of things, but let's not... um... overwhelm the audience here.)

In the context of the topic "pre-cut" can mean at least two things:

1. Vinyl pieces pre-cut to the exact shape and size of the part they are intended to be applied to (like well-known urethane protective films - 3M Scotchgard etc.).

This idea would be a brainfart of epic proportions, betraying the fact that the author of that idea does not know what they are talking about. Vinyl wrapping is based on a completely different principle than urethane film application. Vinyl is supposed to be properly stretched possibly under appropriate heating, which fundamentally precludes any pre-cutting. The very idea of vinyl wrapping requires post-cutting, after the material has already been properly applied, stretched and settled. It is not possible to guess the final shape beforehand.

2. Vinyl pieces pre-cut to the approximate shape and size of the part they are intended to be applied to (possibly simply to a rectangular shape).

The target here would be simply to eliminate guesswork from the question of "How much vinyl do I need?". I.e. help people to buy the exact amount of material they need, as opposed to wasting money on buying too much. I'm not sure how good of an idea that is, since it is always useful to have some spare vinyl (or a lot of spare vinyl) when you do wrapping, especially if you are not an level 80 expert at wrapping.

So, again, what kind of "pre-cutting" you are talking about?

Last edited by AndreyT; 03-24-2016 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep

My definition of pre cut is that it can be open to interpretation, as you've exhibited. However, I think the generally accepted definition of pre cut is quite clear cut (pun), as you'll generally be hard pressed to find people actually using that term for one out of the two examples you mentioned.

Realistically speaking, pre cut is going to mean cut to fairly relative size to the part that's being wrapped. You have included a lot of other additional various assumptions about vinyl wrapping in your post, but there's no need to diverge any further from my original intent and purpose of creating this thread. If you're any further confused you can message me. Messaging can be in the form as e-mail or PM, in case you weren't certain as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
I would be very interested in pre-cut 3m 1080 vinyl for an e90 Sedan interior.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0058D...iKL&ref=plSrch

Carbon fiber

Bimman.com does this via digital CPU. However, I don't think they use 3m, which why I haven't bought it.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #9
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Would this include interior trim pieces? I'd buy that.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 11:48 PM   #10
Vitalität
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 & X5

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5 48i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Messaging can be in the form as e-mail or PM, in case you weren't certain as well.
sarcasm, love it!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 08:23 AM   #11
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Matte black pieces for all of my ugly chrome trim on the door sills and hardtop pieces
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 09:00 AM   #12
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Pre-cut gunmetal wrap would be perfect for my chrome window trim, if you do decide to offer. Maybe I'll stop putting it off and just do it
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 11:22 PM   #13
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep

I am highly leaning towards window trim being the first pre cut kit that I'll offer. The only tricky part in that is determining which E9x chassis to go with first.

Interior trim is another possibility. However, for pieces that are this curved, it'll be tricky determining how much excess material should be left around the pieces, to give enough to have you wrap it around the edges but not too much that you would have to do some trimming still.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 07:02 AM   #14
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don N.
I am highly leaning towards window trim being the first pre cut kit that I'll offer. The only tricky part in that is determining which E9x chassis to go with first.

Interior trim is another possibility. However, for pieces that are this curved, it'll be tricky determining how much excess material should be left around the pieces, to give enough to have you wrap it around the edges but not too much that you would have to do some trimming still.
There may be a flaw to your plan - if you cut so that there is just enough to wrap & tuck, that means there won't be enough material to grab with your fingers and pull/stretch.

I don't know about you, but I can't get a good hold on the last 1/8th inch of material, a good bit more is needed - which would then need to be cut off after finishing.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:25 AM   #15
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

I would buy carbon fiber roof wrap that is prea cut I got e90.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #16
joeinsd
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stock 2010 e92 335i M Sport

I don't think Don is asking what colors/material to make pre-cuts for, but more of what PARTS you guys want pre-cuts for (ie, interior pieces, mirror covers, roof, etc..) Color/material can be decided after templates are made.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #17
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Don, any word on those pre-cut window trip pieces for window trim?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #18
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
There may be a flaw to your plan - if you cut so that there is just enough to wrap & tuck, that means there won't be enough material to grab with your fingers and pull/stretch.

I don't know about you, but I can't get a good hold on the last 1/8th inch of material, a good bit more is needed - which would then need to be cut off after finishing.
There are ways that you can touch the vinyl without really affecting its sticking ability. It'll vary slightly, depending on application and part, but there are a couple of various ways to approach that issue, so it's not much of an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinsd View Post
I don't think Don is asking what colors/material to make pre-cuts for, but more of what PARTS you guys want pre-cuts for (ie, interior pieces, mirror covers, roof, etc..) Color/material can be decided after templates are made.
That's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik View Post
Don, any word on those pre-cut window trip pieces for window trim?
If there were 8-10 people interested in the pre cut window trim pieces, I could make it. I will most likely create a thread in the vendor section to get a list of people interested in what, etc.

Otherwise, feel free to post any questions/suggestions/etc.

-Don
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #19
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

have you pre cut any vinyl and tried this yourself?

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #20
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugzZ BunnY View Post
have you pre cut any vinyl and tried this yourself?
Do I have any pre cut pieces available right now? No, which is the point of creating this thread, to see what direction I should take with this idea and see what your guys' thoughts are.

Have I installed pre cut pieces before? Yes, one example would be clear bras, which are usually pre cut.

-Don
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #21
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

try pre cutting for just a mirror cap, or a piece of window trim and see how hard it is. im genuinely interested to see. im just trying to figure out what people will gain by paying you to pre cut vinyl and it end up being more difficult. instead of buying a roll for cheaper and having enough extra when they mess up. people will without a doubt mess up and with precut you would have to just throw the whole thing out if you mess up.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #22
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep

I may or may have not mentioned it in original post, but not everything will work or be practical for having a pre cut piece made for it.

Either way you go, there is no guarantee it will work out perfectly every time, with pre cut or just straight sheets. If pre cut pieces simply did not work at all, then most likely there wouldn't be a reason why there are pre cut pieces available out there for other cars or applications currently already.

Luckily for you, I already offer non pre cut materials in the form of straight rolls or sheets of film, so you don't have to worry about the pre cut stuff.
Appreciate 0