GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-22-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
tomtang
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White

JRZ RS Two Touring/Sport Track Review

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to this forum, so I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Tom Tang, and since 2012 I've had the honor and privilege of working very closely with the renowned JRZ Suspension Engineering Global HQ team as a technical partner & sponsor for my Honda S2000 race car. Over the years we have successfully campaigned several JRZ setups in time attack and wheel-to-wheel racing, ranging from the RS Pro (2-way), to the Motorsport Triples (3-way), and currently the 12 31 series dampers.

I'm very excited to share that as a JRZ factory-supported driver I will also begin to incorporate their incredible suspension technology into my new daily driven F80 BMW M3 (aka "Betty"). Betty will soon be equipped with JRZ RS Two (double adjustable) dampers and we will be doing a blog series about how well they perform in a variety of street and track driving situations.

I'll initially use the RS Two in the Touring (OEM top mounts) configuration and will then upgrade them to the Sport (JRZ camber adjustable and spherical top mounts) configuration. I look forward to sharing my learnings and experiences on here as well as on the JRZ website.

The first chapter is now up: http://jrzsuspension.com/welcome-to-the-fam-betty.html

To learn more specifically about the RS Two: http://jrzsuspension.com/rs-line
      08-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ 8ο ▉

Sounds like fun. Look forward to your posts.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
ashmostro
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Sub'ed. The Rstwo touring are at the top of my coilover list.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
tomtang
Private
Rep

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to it too. I'm throwing the car on the dyno tomorrow to see what it makes at the wheels, and then on Friday I'll be driving it at Thunderhill Raceway completely stock to collect baseline data.
      08-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
tomtang
Private
Rep

Chapter 2 is now up! First track day and baseline dyno videos included: http://jrzsuspension.com/blog-ch2-th...any-betty.html
      08-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #6
dave12285
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Loving the blog. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #7
ExxelDistributions
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

nice write up. thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 09:18 PM   #8
tomtang
Private
Rep

Thanks, guys! More to come. I can't wait for my shocks to arrive in 2 weeks so I can install them and then go back out on the track again. =)
      09-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #9
ashmostro
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nice stuff so far!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #10
tomtang
Private
Rep

Chapter 3 is now up: http://jrzsuspension.com/betty-gets-...nd-shocks.html

I'm headed to Thunderhill this Wednesday 11/23, Buttonwillow this Friday 11/25, and Laguna Seca on Saturday 12/10.

Can't wait to try the new setup out on track!
      11-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
ashmostro
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Great read! Would live to hear in more detail your decision methodology between the touring setup vs sport.

Also, does JRZ publish the touring spring rates? Second, are the shocks valve differently between the two setups or is the difference merely the spring rates and exclusion of monoball top mounts?

Thanks much!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
tomtang
Private
Rep

Thank you! I will definitely dive deeper into Touring vs. Sport next month after I do the conversion and track the car at Laguna Seca.

The valving between Touring and Sport is the same. Spring rates are just a bit stiffer and yes, the monoball top mounts make up the biggest difference.

Next chapter is up! The car drives so much better now on Rays Engineering TE37RT wheels with Nexen Tire USA Nfera SUR4 tires, G-LOC Brakes, JRZ RS Two dampers, and the Fall-Line Motorsports rear toe link kit. All protected by Detail Addict Ceramic Pro 9H. I was able to click off a 2:02.3 at Thunderhill Raceway (East Course with Bypass) last Wednesday and then a 1:59.2 at Buttonwillow Raceway Park (CW13) two days later.

http://www.jrzsuspension.com/ch-4-be...-to-track.html
scott13198.00
F3IGHTY122.00

12-07-2016, 12:46 AM   #13
F3IGHTY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtang View Post
Thank you! I will definitely dive deeper into Touring vs. Sport next month after I do the conversion and track the car at Laguna Seca.

The valving between Touring and Sport is the same. Spring rates are just a bit stiffer and yes, the monoball top mounts make up the biggest difference.

Next chapter is up! The car drives so much better now on Rays Engineering TE37RT wheels with Nexen Tire USA Nfera SUR4 tires, G-LOC Brakes, JRZ RS Two dampers, and the Fall-Line Motorsports rear toe link kit. All protected by Detail Addict Ceramic Pro 9H. I was able to click off a 2:02.3 at Thunderhill Raceway (East Course with Bypass) last Wednesday and then a 1:59.2 at Buttonwillow Raceway Park (CW13) two days later.

Nice review Tom, looking forward to hitting the track with you again soon! I'm interested in comparing how the RS two's improve the F80. Any insight into the Pro version, whats different vs the RS Two besides an external canister?

-Ryan
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 05:15 AM   #14
ashmostro
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Tom, I have a question about your toe link kit. I have the non-race version of the same kit on my F80 and one of the links has begun to produce some pronounced clicking at low speeds, particularly when going on-off-on the throttle. I don't feel anything adverse from a handling perspective but the noise is pretty noticeable and possibly getting a bit worse.

I had Hardrace heim joint parts in the back of my old e92 and they were silent. Wondering if my fall line kit is defective... Have you experienced any noise from your kit?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #15
tomtang
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3IGHTY View Post
Nice review Tom, looking forward to hitting the track with you again soon! I'm interested in comparing how the RS two's improve the F80. Any insight into the Pro version, whats different vs the RS Two besides an external canister?

-Ryan
Likewise, buddy! The dampening between OEM and the RS Two is immediately/noticeably better, the car is able to handle bumps with far more grace so that it's "easier" to drive (you can commit to more throttle in places where you would have been skipping over uneven pavement before). It also transitions better (more stable) when shifting load from left to right, and the car doesn't dive as much under heavy braking. As you know, I've only done 2 track days with the shocks on the car, so I'm sure I'll be able to make more observations with more time. I've already made minor adjustments from what JRZ recommended I start with, and found improvements. I think if I went back to T-Hill now I can run below a 2:00 also. Part of this is also because I had never driven on these Nexens before either, but we have since found their "sweet spot" in terms of temps/pressures.

As for the RS Two vs. RS Pro, the difference is quite significant (hence the cost difference) and I say this with experience in racing with RS Pro on my S2000. Having the external reservoir gives you a huge gain in being able to better control the dampening because you can adjust the canister pressure for "faster" response with both rebound and compression.

The only reason I didn't get the RS Pro for my F80 is that for the "every day guy" the RS Two is more than plenty, and so JRZ asked if I would use the same kits that they hope more people will be buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Tom, I have a question about your toe link kit. I have the non-race version of the same kit on my F80 and one of the links has begun to produce some pronounced clicking at low speeds, particularly when going on-off-on the throttle. I don't feel anything adverse from a handling perspective but the noise is pretty noticeable and possibly getting a bit worse.

I had Hardrace heim joint parts in the back of my old e92 and they were silent. Wondering if my fall line kit is defective... Have you experienced any noise from your kit?
I also have the non-race version because I don't plan on tracking my M3 more than a few times a year. So far, I have not noticed any clicking noises, perhaps you have some dust/dirt in the bearing? Take a look, try cleaning it out and re-greasing. Maybe it's binding?

If that doesn't work, contact Fall Line and see what they recommend? Perhaps they'd be willing to inspect your kit and offer some sort of resolution. They're cool dudes.
      12-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #16
ashmostro
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks much man.

Yeah my next call was going to be to Fall Line but I wanted to first determine if this is a common occurrence or not first. My previous Hardrace arms were totally sealed and totally quiet whereas these have that rubber sleeve which doesn't completely eliminate the chances of contamination.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #17
tomtang
Private
Rep

Right on.

Quick question for you: how do you like the Stoptech trophy kit on the F80? I run them on my race car (ST40 front and ST22 rear). So I was just curious. I think the stock brakes are pretty phenomenal. I've only just changed the pads, still stock fluid and lines.
      12-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #18
ashmostro
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right on.

Quick question for you: how do you like the Stoptech trophy kit on the F80? I run them on my race car (ST40 front and ST22 rear). So I was just curious. I think the stock brakes are pretty phenomenal. I've only just changed the pads, still stock fluid and lines.
I love them, but I don't have a valuable point of comparison to the stock brakes on the track as I put the ST's on before ever venturing out on the track.

That said, I ran ST BBK's on my 335is and had such good results even when running just the Street Performance (aka "Sport") pads that I just didn't want to have to think about brake ineffectiveness.

I run the Sport pads on the slower tracks without any degradation issues, and the racing pads (SR-33) on the fast ones. There is a noticeable increase in mu with the racing pads but they are noisier and a bit grabby on the street. I also run Castrol SRF and Ti shims for extra insurance.

These brakes are unflappable even without any ducting.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #19
tomtang
Private
Rep

Nice. Yeah Castrol SRF has been my go to fluid for years.
      12-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #20
ashmostro
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice. Yeah Castrol SRF has been my go to fluid for years.
I assume you're running the Pagid rs29's that everyone else does on the stock brakes? What other mods do you need for the brakes to make them thermally solid for track use?

I may revert back to stock one day to lower running costs and recoup some investment if the stockers are truly good enough in all conditions, but it would need to be a guarantee rather than a "if you baby them a bit" kind of thing.

Thanks again

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #21
ashmostro
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ignore my "what mods" question... looks like you answered that above.

How would you describe the feel and behavior of the G LOC pads? I've never used those.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #22
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:

Did u run TC off or MDM?