BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > A Potential Good fix to MPE drone ? The Stock Resonator

12-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

To begin with, I was one of those that recommends against MPE in terms of gains for money and I still am, yet I have taken the plunge (will be installing in early Jan) regardless of the gains for money and words getting around that how it drones at 3K, because of how much I love my car and want aesthetic & acoustical improvement from OEM parts to add to its perfection.

Reading those drone threads, I'd be lying if I say I wasn't concerned.
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=20977561
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...365&page=6

I noticed MPE removes the resonator from stock system. So I have been thinking if it's going to be a good fix to drone if we retain the stock resonator and only install the MPE muffler. If the system turns out no drone but too quiet, we can stay in track mode all the time by unplugging the harness.

From the pictures below (borrowed from one of the members here), I think it can be done by finding a good cut point behind the resonator. What do you think?

Also, please comment on the drone as it is and if you can or cannot live with it.
Attached Images

Last edited by SeanWRT; 12-13-2016 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8716.00
      12-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Hey that's my car!

If it's possible why not?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:28 AM   #3
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

With ASD off, it's much quieter. That having been said, T minus 1 week until I'm going to see DetailersDomain M2 with Akra. If it truly doesn't drone, I'm going to switch. I hate throwing money away, but I cannot live with it. I got mine port installed so I'm SOL regarding resonator without the hassle of someone selling their stock exhaust.

The drone is irritating because it happens during normal acceleration as well, not just cruising. Driving around town, hit 2800 RPM, drone, shift. I guess it has the side "benefit" of giving me a shift point but it makes me want to

Though you might want to wait until the new version comes out, assuming that's happening. http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1335607
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
With ASD off, it's much quieter. That having been said, T minus 1 week until I'm going to see DetailersDomain M2 with Akra. If it truly doesn't drone, I'm going to switch. I hate throwing money away, but I cannot live with it. I got mine port installed so I'm SOL regarding resonator without the hassle of someone selling their stock exhaust.

The drone is irritating because it happens during normal acceleration as well, not just cruising. Driving around town, hit 2800 RPM, drone, shift. I guess it has the side "benefit" of giving me a shift point but it makes me want to

Though you might want to wait until the new version comes out, assuming that's happening. http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1335607
Thanks for sharing the experience.

Never heard drone report with F87 akrapovic system, high confidence you'll be good. Keep us posted how you like it.

For me the only reason I pass Akrappvic is its "fake" dual pipe design (a real one should have two downpipes). There is no need for splitting the flow and thus increasing the diameter AFTER DP. It only make senses to me it should have a slightly smaller diameter if anything to increase the flow rate as gas gets cooled down and volume shrinks. I am sure Akra knows it better and I most certainly am wrong.

In 2 weeks my MPE will be installed, if it drones, I'll then try put back resonator. Will let you guys know.
      01-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post

Never heard drone report with F87 akrapovic system, high confidence you'll be good. Keep us posted how you like it.

For me the only reason I pass Akrappvic is its "fake" dual pipe design (a real one should have two downpipes). There is no need for splitting the flow and thus increasing the diameter AFTER DP. It only make senses to me it should have a slightly smaller diameter if anything to increase the flow rate as gas gets cooled down and volume shrinks. I am sure Akra knows it better and I most certainly am wrong.

In 2 weeks my MPE will be installed, if it drones, I'll then try put back resonator. Will let you guys know.
Maybe they built it like that to make sure there is no drone No clue, just guessing

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
njw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 - LBB/6MT/Exec

Quote:
Quote:

Sean, how's the drone w MPE? Did you ever install the stock resonator?
      04-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njw View Post
Sean, how's the drone w MPE? Did you ever install the stock resonator?
Drone is still there but already has been mellowed, not annoying any more.

In fact, drone grows on me over time. To be frank, I'd rather have it...
      04-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
Matjo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé

Just wondering, as I'm looking for an new exhuast. I always thought that MPE was very similiar to stock once its closed/off by the bluetooth switch, and once engaged/on its really loud - like two exhaust in one?! But reading now about drone, neighbours, not for everybody etc. makes me wonder. Is the performance exhuast always much louder than stock? And what does the blueooth control do then?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #9
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matjo View Post
Just wondering, as I'm looking for an new exhuast. I always thought that MPE was very similiar to stock once its closed/off by the bluetooth switch, and once engaged/on its really loud - like two exhaust in one?! But reading now about drone, neighbours, not for everybody etc. makes me wonder. Is the performance exhuast always much louder than stock? And what does the blueooth control do then?

Thanks!
Yes it's much louder from outside, though inside of car it's noticeably less much so with ASD coded out.

I confirm MY2017 ASD is a good improvement from 2016, but still in-cabin is a much better place without it.
      02-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #10
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Yes it's much louder from outside, though inside of car it's noticeably less much so with ASD coded out.

I confirm MY2017 ASD is a good improvement from 2016, but still in-cabin is a much better place without it.
Did you install with the stock resonator fitted to MPE?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #11
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Quote:

No I didn't. Drone is gone all by itself. Guess what, I miss it!
      02-16-2018, 11:17 PM   #12
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Mine has it at 3k rpm looking for a fix. Not awful, but I am picky.

Did you do anything or did it just go away?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 05:04 AM   #13
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Hey if you in NC you can swing by Charlotte and purchase my practically brand new stock exhaust and switch the resonator over.

Also I have proven on the dyno runs that the exhaust makes HP even though BMW claims 0. They are just being conservative like they do on power output
Appreciate 1
bollinm25.00
      02-17-2018, 05:49 AM   #14
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Mine has it at 3k rpm looking for a fix. Not awful, but I am picky.

Did you do anything or did it just go away?
No I didn't do anything. I mean it, 3k drone isn't that much of an issue it's just a little bit louder than normal at that rev ranges and I think it adds to car's character. I wish I had it back.
      02-17-2018, 04:32 PM   #15
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

I think as the exhaust wears in and some of the baffling burns off the tone changes....
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #16
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Finally was able to get my car out on the road the other day...been waiting for broken leg to heal and a break in the weather (no pun intended)...noticed the drone a 3K right away. I also have FS DP so it seems really loud and annoying at 3K. Not impressed. I tried all the "modes" and Traction mode seemed to be the best from a drone perspective, but not from a throttle response perspective, sport+ seems best for that...but drones like a b!tch at 3K. Because I'm still in the break in period I can't really go too much higher than 3K in the rev range. I have not coded ASD off as yet, because I wanted to drive the car for a bit first so I can tell if I notice a difference, (on vs. off).

For those that have the MPE FS DP set up AND have coded ASD off, does it markedly improve the drone?
Have you noticed that after a certain amount of kilometers, that the drone reduces (i.e. exhaust break-in)? I had the MPE on my F30 and I do seem to remember it changing a bit over the first 5-10 thousand kms.

I may have to switch exhausts if this doesn't get better over time. Too bad, because I like the look of the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #17
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Hey if you in NC you can swing by Charlotte and purchase my practically brand new stock exhaust and switch the resonator over.

Also I have proven on the dyno runs that the exhaust makes HP even though BMW claims 0. They are just being conservative like they do on power output
Thanks for the offer, but that post was a year ago. I've since bought the Akrapovic exhaust and am enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #18
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, but that post was a year ago. I've since bought the Akrapovic exhaust and am enjoying it.
Awesome I guess I missed the "date" detail
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 07:34 PM   #19
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your drone just disappeared and didn't come back? After how many km's did you note the drone going away?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 03:00 AM   #20
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Finally was able to get my car out on the road the other day...been waiting for broken leg to heal and a break in the weather (no pun intended)...noticed the drone a 3K right away. I also have FS DP so it seems really loud and annoying at 3K. Not impressed. I tried all the "modes" and Traction mode seemed to be the best from a drone perspective, but not from a throttle response perspective, sport+ seems best for that...but drones like a b!tch at 3K. Because I'm still in the break in period I can't really go too much higher than 3K in the rev range. I have not coded ASD off as yet, because I wanted to drive the car for a bit first so I can tell if I notice a difference, (on vs. off).

For those that have the MPE FS DP set up AND have coded ASD off, does it markedly improve the drone?
Have you noticed that after a certain amount of kilometers, that the drone reduces (i.e. exhaust break-in)? I had the MPE on my F30 and I do seem to remember it changing a bit over the first 5-10 thousand kms.

I may have to switch exhausts if this doesn't get better over time. Too bad, because I like the look of the MPE.
I went through exactly this. Turning ASD off made zero difference imho and the drone was quite unpleasant. I am sensitive to the drone and rather than chop up my MPE, i bought a very cheap, barely used, stock m2 exhaust and installed that. Now it still sounds good and the drone is gone. MUCH easier to live with.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #21
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
I went through exactly this. Turning ASD off made zero difference imho and the drone was quite unpleasant. I am sensitive to the drone and rather than chop up my MPE, i bought a very cheap, barely used, stock m2 exhaust and installed that. Now it still sounds good and the drone is gone. MUCH easier to live with.
I sold the car. Bought a GT4. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 04:00 PM   #22
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
I sold the car. Bought a GT4. Problem solved.
Lol nice
Appreciate 0