BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Almost bought a M2. Now have a deposit for another

04-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Almost bought a M2. Now have a deposit for another

I feel like I have to vent and this seems like the right place. I test drove a M2 a couple of weeks ago, and wasn't that impressed. I ended up changing my mind and tried to buy it, because I really didn't drive it that hard. Anyway, to make a long story short, I had the money from my credit union to buy it, but it was sold before I was able to get there. I didn't think I would be this disappointed, because it wasn't even the color I wanted, but I guess I really want a M2 when it comes down to it.

I now have a non-refundable (I know) $1000.00 deposit at another dealer for a allocation. They said it could be up to a year. They tried to offer me one that's coming in six weeks, but wanted $7500 markup. The only way they would not sell at a markup is if I put a deposit for a order when they get their next allocation. I don't think they were prepared for me willing to wait, and I'm wondering if it will be actually a year.

I have sighed vehicle inquiry report with the configuration I want at MSRP. I just wish I had called around more, because I'm not totally comfortable with this dealer. It's just kind of hard when I have a trade in to deal with dealers out of state.

This a least gives me time to pay down my M235i or sell it ( a car a still really like).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
Mr 2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

You could buy from another dealer across the US and pick it up from BMW PDC in Greenville. That is not far at all for you.
Appreciate 1
Bazgab132.00
      04-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

It is actually illegal in a lot states to have a non-refundable deposit, I would look into that more. Unless they have a document in writing that states it is non-refundable and you signed it, in that case you could be screwed.

If you used a credit card to make the deposit you could always request a charge back.

I would look for an available allocation elsewhere (even out of state) and then sell your car using a car buying service like Vroom, Autotrader Instant, Carvana, etc. if you don't want to deal with selling it yourself. Could even do a Performance Center Delivery in SC and then you wouldn't have to pay for having the car shipped if it was far away.

I am in the process of using Vroom and got within $1,500 of my private party asking price, definitely better than what I could have gotten as a trade-in. Autonation was within $500 of my asking price but I didn't realize their closest dealer is around 200 miles away from me. I had my car up for around 2 months on the private market with only a few people contacting me and no one that was really interested. I am willing to take the small hit to have it all over with.

EDIT: Mr 2 beat me too it for recommending the Performance Center, but I will leave it in my post.
      04-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Yeah, PCD is definitely something I've thought about. I've watched some videos on it and was thinking of doing it with the dealer I have the deposit with, not only for the experience, but not having to deal with them when the car arrives.
Appreciate 0