E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Urgent: Need Help

05-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

Exclamation Urgent: Need Help

Guys,

My car is at the dealer right now because my warning light came on for my rear brake pads to be changed.

I dropped it off this morning and got a call back in 30 minutes saying that the car needs to be reprogrammed and that the brake pads are completley fine. They are also saying that the sensor is faulty and needs to be reprogrammed, hence why the warning light is on.

I KNOW that the brake pads are bad because just like many other members, my pads are squealing from the rear passenger tire AND the warning light is on.

At this point the SA is basically saying, its either we reprogram the car and give it back it to you with the squealing noise OR you pick it up "as is" with the warning light on and brakes squealing. They are claiming that they do not hear the squealing and the brake pads look fine.

I am so frustrated right now I do not know what to do, what do I tell these people so that they can fix my effing brakes?!?!

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Dmitriy
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Squealing may not mean it's bad, did you check the pads yourself to see how much they got left. The squealing issue, for me, was a brake sensor that was replaced.

If you can reproduce the squealing, take your mechanic or SA for a drive so they can hear it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

The does need to the software update. My brake pad light came on 5300 miles and I just reset it myself through the control stalk. There is DIY on how to reset the maintainance settings. As far as the squeeling, do some hard braking from 80 a few times and that will re-bed the bads and the noise should go away for a while.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
Squealing may not mean it's bad, did you check the pads yourself to see how much they got left. The squealing issue, for me, was a brake sensor that was replaced.

If you can reproduce the squealing, take your mechanic or SA for a drive so they can hear it.
I can reproduce the squealing, I even have it on video - just don't have the camera with me. The techs are out joyriding my car to see if they can hear the squeak, I'm almost 100% sure they will say "we couldn't hear it".
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
As far as the squeeling, do some hard braking from 80 a few times and that will re-bed the bads and the noise should go away for a while.
Are you sure??? How do you do it? Just slam on the brakes at 80MPH until you come to a halt? This makes the squealing go away?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep

bump for help, please guys...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

If it's a constant squeaking then something is definitely wrong and they should be able to hear it. If it's squeaking from a start at 0-15 mph then there is a bulletin in which they adjust or replace the rear brake sensors. Get a hold of that video and show it to them.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Squealing does not always mean worn pads. I once brought the car in because:

1) annual safety inspections said pads were running thin (eventhough service minder said a good 5000 miles)
2) I was exeriencing squealing (and grinding).

SA said some dirt got in between the rotors and pads (i noted grooving) but pads were still within specs. I think they run the pads close to the bare minimum before replacement is warranted. A good relationship with your SA might help in determining the replacement schedule though. My SA has been good to me. You might try to extend some generosity his way...

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep

OK thanks guys, for all your help.

One final question: Does that 80 - 0 hard braking really work?

The squeaking is only noticable when the car is accelarating from 0 - 20MPH, Otherwise it sounds OK.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpuntik View Post
OK thanks guys, for all your help.

One final question: Does that 80 - 0 hard braking really work?

The squeaking is only noticable when the car is accelarating from 0 - 20MPH, Otherwise it sounds OK.
Not for the 0-20 squeaking, it's a well known issue. Do a search and find the TSB or ask the dealer to pull it up for you.
I feel your pain, the squeaking sounds like ass: get them to replace the sensors if you can.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i would bring it to service as many times as i could until the problem is resolve,
they cant return the vehicle to u unless the warning symbol is cleared..this is a safety issue on the vehicle!

BMW will be responsible if something happens to u, knock on wood
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
Not for the 0-20 squeaking, it's a well known issue. Do a search and find the TSB or ask the dealer to pull it up for you.
I feel your pain, the squeaking sounds like ass: get them to replace the sensors if you can.
My SA is bieng a complete bitch. She just said that the techs came back from the drive and found absolutley nothing wrong and hear no squealing.

This whole situation is driving me nuts. I'm gonna go pick it up around 5PM and just reset the service indicator on my own using these directions: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42669

As far as the squealing, I'm just going to buy my own brakepads with sensors and put them on. This is my 6th time going in for this issue, I'm so f'n frustrated.

Can someone please do a search for the TSB for me? I cannot seem to find it.

Thanks again guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

wait, did you take your SA for a ride and replicate the noise?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

make it real fucking simple either I have new brakes or when BMW calls with the Survery there will be no number besides all ones and a long as comment section detailing my multiple visits and lack of assistance
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #15
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep

Hey guys,

Because of your great input, I thought that it will be proper if I give you an update.

I picked up the car Tuesday afternoon and just as I predicted, the SA tells me that they couldn't find a squealing noise and that because I didn't want them to do a Progman update, the warning light is still there.

I understand that just because the light is on, it doesn't necessarily mean my brake pads are gone but I needed the car and couldn't afford for them to keep it 2 days to do a Progman update (per the SA).

Anyway, as I got in my car, the SA was standing right next to it. When I drove off, the squealing sound was there and she heard it. I didn't even say anything, just looked at her. She stood there like there was a tail between her legs and said, "well the noise wasn't there when we drove it". At this point I told her that I would be in contact with BMW NA and that her survey will add up to a total of 5 points and the "details" section will be very descriptive. I left in fury.

Currently, I have an appointment set up with another BMW dealer. This time I spoke directly to the manager to schedule the visit and specifically told him that if I do not get my vehicle serviced, they will be hearing from my legal counsel.

This was a HORRIBLE experience that I hope none of you go through.
Appreciate 0