E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bimmer magazine M3 v. 335

05-25-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Bimmer magazine M3 v. 335

After all the countless threads comparing these two cars that really aren't apples to apples, I think their article settled the issue once and for all. Since the authors are in fact lovers of BMW's, I think the article was very to the point and objective. They described the 335 as clinical as far as the way it drove. It puts numbers down in a serious way, but doesn't have that enthusiastic feel to it the way a M car does. What is disappointing about the M3 is the brake fade and somehow they say the steering is actually lighter. Not having driven the M3 (E92), I can't say.

Lastly, they say the 15k extra is worth every penny. Nice to say that when a person doesn't have to go out into the real world and earn that 15k--that differential is 5-6k shy of a brand spanking new Honda Accord 4 cyl. sedan, a car that would serve a family for 10 years without issue. I guess what I'm saying is real life is not a magazine, so I still love my 335!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
Aces_High
Germans do it Best
Rep
Drives: 328i e90+92 , 335i e92,MB E350

Agreed!

I don't have my 335 yet (waiting for MY09) but I mean living in the city, with potholes, signal lights, dangerous drivers, etc, an M car doesn't make sense. In everyday driving a 335 is more than enough as far as perf, handling, etc.
I'm sure on the track, you'd want the M car, but most people are commuting to work, supermarkets, and as fun as it is rocketing off to the neighborhood grocery store, the M is a bit of overkill for the 15K premium.
Lately I'm not even comfy doing anything over 85mph in the freeway, given that LA freeways are deteriorating faster than they can be repaired. When I drive on the 5 freeway near downtown, the 10, the 110, there are literally chunks missing in the road. Whats the point of an M car when that is your canvas............

And lets not even compare the 30+ mpg the 335 gets versus the 20 the M car does.

Dunno just seems like such a waste of talent boxing in and trying to domesticate a M3, to be practical in an urban setting.
      05-25-2008, 06:23 AM   #3
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces_High View Post
Agreed!

I don't have my 335 yet (waiting for MY09) but I mean living in the city, with potholes, signal lights, dangerous drivers, etc, an M car doesn't make sense. In everyday driving a 335 is more than enough as far as perf, handling, etc.
I'm sure on the track, you'd want the M car, but most people are commuting to work, supermarkets, and as fun as it is rocketing off to the neighborhood grocery store, the M is a bit of overkill for the 15K premium.
Lately I'm not even comfy doing anything over 85mph in the freeway, given that LA freeways are deteriorating faster than they can be repaired. When I drive on the 5 freeway near downtown, the 10, the 110, there are literally chunks missing in the road. Whats the point of an M car when that is your canvas............

And lets not even compare the 30+ mpg the 335 gets versus the 20 the M car does.

Dunno just seems like such a waste of talent boxing in and trying to domesticate a M3, to be practical in an urban setting.

I think the amount of cash some socal members here throwing at their 335s they would be much better off buying an M3. Iforged rims? 4k, ditch run flat tyres? 1k. All the CF diddly bits and bobs, 2-3k, upgrade all that angel eyes stuff, put a carbon interior, niceer music, and you cross 10k, and if you do all that dinan flash and new coilovers, eisenman race exhaust and you will soon meet your 15k. I mean it's fun, sure.. but I'd buy the M3 E90 in that case...

but for money, for what you pay for 335s in US (same what I'd pay for my car brand new) is just making it such a facknig bargain that you owe it to yourself to get one before we all run out of oil and enjoy it.

PS. the 19in, KW V3 dropped, with low CF splitters are hardly city friendly cars mind you. not at all actually. Unless roads are silku smooth, but I would laugh hard at aanyone trying to pull this in NYC or something. (amd feel sorry for them as well of course).
      05-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well....many members like me purchased the e90 a long time ago. There was no new M3 to purchase. So, over the course of 3 years...yeah, we have spent $10K+ on various mods, but this has made ownership extremely fun, and keeps me loving my car just as if it were bought yesterday.

Of course, if I had not purchased anything 3 years ago, and was in the market to buy a new car today...then yes, I probably would just buy the new M3 vs an E90/E92 and dump $15k into it. But you have to realize that this was not necessarily an option for alot of people that are on here. There will always be something new and considered more bang for your buck. And I anticipate that over the next year...you will see M3 owners dumping $15k+ on their ride with all the exact mods that the current E90/E92 owners have done. So where does it end.....basically, it doesn't. Those that can afford it...enjoy it. Those that can't, will never stop hating on those that do.
      05-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd View Post
Well....many members like me purchased the e90 a long time ago. There was no new M3 to purchase. So, over the course of 3 years...yeah, we have spent $10K+ on various mods, but this has made ownership extremely fun, and keeps me loving my car just as if it were bought yesterday.

Of course, if I had not purchased anything 3 years ago, and was in the market to buy a new car today...then yes, I probably would just buy the new M3 vs an E90/E92 and dump $15k into it. But you have to realize that this was not necessarily an option for alot of people that are on here. There will always be something new and considered more bang for your buck. And I anticipate that over the next year...you will see M3 owners dumping $15k+ on their ride with all the exact mods that the current E90/E92 owners have done. So where does it end.....basically, it doesn't. Those that can afford it...enjoy it. Those that can't, will never stop hating on those that do.
Well Said
      05-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
e92leon
我的車車有Turbo&!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 빠른차

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
2006 RX-8 (SE3P)  [0.00]
^well said