E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New 335i. Some impressions (sorry, a bit long)

05-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
faston
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe xDrive

New 335i. Some impressions (sorry, a bit long)

I picked up my new E90 355i MT on Sunday. Sparkling Graphite / Terra / NAV / CA / PDC / 6FL / Sport /Premium. Traded in a 2005 325i. Sorry if this is a bit long. Got started writing last night and couldn't stop, I guess! Feel free to ignore it and move on.

Haven’t had much time to run yet; only about 100km so far. But I have a few impressions and small questions:

-The side mirrors are SMALL! I actually use the side view mirrors to cover my blind spots and they are significantly smaller than the E46. I know a lot of people on here were groaning about the bigger mirrors in the spy pics for the E90 refresh, but I would sure like bigger ones. Also, the right side mirror doesn’t tilt down enough to see the curb like the one in my E46 did. Kinda defeats the purpose of tilting the mirror if you can’t see the ground when it does it!

-As soon as I got it home, I left it idling and got out and put my hand behind each exhaust pipe. There was exhaust coming out of both of them. Thought we needed the ‘golf tee mod’ or to unplug the solenoid to achieve that?

-voice recognition is quite spotty, especially for Sat radio. I tried to get it to tune channel 115 (Disney - I have a tweener daughter) and absolutely could not get it to tune to that channel. I mean that I tried it at least 40 times and it didn’t tune the right channel even once. Closest it got was 118. Strangely, the voice response for that channel was not the deep, confident one for other functions, but sort of a squished together, almost sped-up voice. Often it went to something completely unrelated like vehicle settings or something like that. Haven’t tried voice commands enough to know if this is just a Sirius problem (or even certain Sirius channels since it had not problem tuning in channel 16). Weird.

-When I am using nav to guide to a destination, the distance to destination in the lower right of the screen is in meters. Like 6900 meters instead of 6.9 kilometers. I’ve never seen that with a nav system before and it isn’t how one normally thinks of distances. Does that mean that if I want to go to California it is going to give me a distance of 2,000,000 meters? That’s just dumb. I imagine it would change to kilometers at some point (who knows, maybe after only 10,000 meters) but it’s still counter-intuitive. I’ll have to try changing the units of measurement to feet/miles and see if it does something similar.

-Automatic Climate Control seems a bit off. I have used automatic climate control systems since I bought a 1990 300ZX new in 1989. What I found out years ago is that I could just set the temp to 21.5〫C (72〫 F) and never touch it again virtually for as long as I own the car. That setting seems quite warm in this car. It was fine in the E46 that this car replaced.

-Convenient Access is very cool. I wear jeans pretty much all the time and have taken to leaving the key in the little key pocket in my jeans, but I am worried that I am going to forget about the key in my pocket and run it through the wash. Is the accepted method of leaving the car to just let the radio etc run and get out of the car and lock it? Feels strange to do that.

-Glad I got the MT. It is awesome. So glad I didn’t listen to the sirens luring me to the rocky shoals of autobox.

-there is no option to change the sensitivity of the auto headlamps in my idrive menus. This seems very strange to me. Of course in the lighting menu I don’t have the DRL option since it is mandatory up here, but I can’t see any reason for them to not include the auto headlamp sensitivity option. Do I have to go in to the dealership to have them program the sensitivity? I’d like the sensitivity turned down so they don’t come on so soon.

- I don’t have Assist set up yet, but I looked in the menu for that and there is a function for ‘My Info’. I pressed it and it said something to the effect of ‘transferring new destinations’ and then ‘no new destinations’. Could this mean that they are actually putting that function (sending destinations from Google Maps to the car) in 08’s and not just ’09 as stated in the press release? If so, that would be great. This car is a March build. Maybe somebody else who just received their car can check this? I don’t have my hopes too high for that. There is also a field for ‘concierge’, but I know that we don’t have that service here in Canada.

-the address book of my Treo 650 (Telus) did not transfer. Fortunately, I had read on here the workaround of putting numbers into the speed dial so that helps, but obviously that’s only 30 or so numbers so it’s a bit disappointing. I had hopes that the Treo was going to work perfectly. It is on the BMW-approved list.

-I got the BMW flashlight but not the first aid kit.

-my centre console has a spring-loaded lid. In the DIY for installing the split lid, there is a lot of talk about the lids not being spring loaded

-There is a section in the manual about setting the clock. Do we really need to set the clock when the nav is connected to an atomic accurate clock? 

-Sucks that the side mirrors don’t automatically fold out when you unlock the car. Would be bad enough if it was just something that they forgot, but much worse that it’s something the cars used to have but they took away. Makes no sense. And speaking of making no sense, why is the song info for Sirius and iPod grey on a grey background?? Huh?? And why is the information on the bottom line of the idrive when you aren’t in entertainment the station instead of the song? I would think the song information is more important than the station name.

-Hard to get a feeling for the power on a Sunday afternoon and a couple of short commutes but I could sure feel the potential. On Monday morning I stopped at a red light next to an Audi A4 2.0. I was in the curb lane and there was a postal truck about half a block away. When the light turned, I started out briskly but not booting it. The lady also started out that way and I soon realized it was her intention to fuck me regarding the vehicle in my path. I was now in second gear and a very modest rpm. I decided to get in front of her and put my foot into it. Wow! I was gone! I was in front of her and over in her lane and looking waaay back at her in about 2 seconds! Very impressive. Sounds great when doing it too!

Anyway, I know some of the above points might seem a bit nit-picky, but overall I am mightily impressed with the car!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
exo-ak-dk
Black Magic Wheels - BMW
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E90

congrats with the new car....
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
AdamJ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Your thread should be named "Some disappointments" as you mostly pointed out faults.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
bimmerlex
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 X5 xDrive35d

Garage List
wow, another 355i (not 335i). I think it's the second one on this board already j/k.
Seriously, congrats on your new ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
dhan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 TiAg E92 335i

welcome to the land of bmw's shortcomings.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

i was thinking (hay i've got a corrado) that you could rig the mirrors to fold in at 100mph then fold back out when you drop below 80mph.

should be pretty simple to do with a pic or atmel
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
I have no complaints with this car other than the leather. Amazing how people nit pick at everything.
      05-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
Zeeman
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335 SG

i had the same reaction the the smallish side mirrors (I also came from an E46), but soon got used to it. I actually laughed when I read your post, cause it's been so long since I have even thought about this.

i have the same issue with the climate control. total step back from what was in the E46 IMO.

the engine is killer though. i swapped cars with a friend that has an E46 M3 for a short drive. i totally prefer the TT in the 335
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
I have no complaints with this car other than the leather. Amazing how people nit pick at everything.
Too stiff and unforgiving for you?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdblU View Post
Too stiff and unforgiving for you?
Yeah, the quality just isn't there. I picked up a 550 last friday and I swear it's 3 or 4 times more comfortable and the leather is fantastic. I guess we should all remember that even with the big engine, its still a 3 series in BMW's eyes.
      05-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
My nit is with the climate control; having to cycle down through each fan level just to turn off is ridiculous.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
SantaMonica335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

Couple of responses:

Climate Control- Adjust the knob above the center vents. That controls air flow to the center vents and could be the reason its a bit hot.

Tail Pipe- After the car is warm both pipes are open. I trust BMW to know how to operate the engine and exhaust system over people who want the thing to sound cool for the 15 minutes it takes to warm the engine up.

Access- The radio should shut off when you turn off the ignition. Thats what it does in mine, but it doesnt hurt anything to lock the doors and walk away if the radio is on.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #13
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

yeah basically you got the new car and nit picked it to death and didn't even talk about one Positive besides leaving the key in your pocket for CA...and i never leave the car on with the radio going constantly..everywhere i go ..i would think long term wouldn't be good for the battery. double press the button that's it.i really don't understand the constant nitpicking...maybe the progman version sucks i would check to see which version you have and change it!!! but besides that i came from an e34 with much larger mirrors and never had a problem...who the hell wants large mirrors on a performance car? i mean you can see if a car is next to you or coming up just fine..if they were any bigger i would be pissed..they wouldn't flow with the car..they are proportioned just right maybe 1/8th inch too big..the m3's are sick because they provide a less drag.i agree with the folding mirrors sadly but not to your degree. i don't get it..why so much nitpicking..don't you love the power and the chassis..and the suspension..it's much better than the e46..i don't know..i hope you loook at your post in a few weeks and say man was i an ass..that would mean your issues are fixed with your pogman..if that's the case...and you will be in LOVE with your baby not nit picking her to death. if you look at everything like that in life it must not be too positive..aren't you optimistic at all? you sound super super disappointed!!

anyways sorry for the nitpicking.. not trying to tell you how to feel..it just that for someone getting a new car with this fabulous engine i would have thought you would have said all the positive things like everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #14
tizzyd
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i 6MT

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 335i Coupe  [8.50]
if you leave the key through the wash, its absolutely fine, I've done it 4 or 5 times and nothing happened. The only tricky thing is remembering to give the key to the valet, if you ever use valet!
2007 E60 M5 6MT (Interlagos/Silverstone Full) | 2013 F10 M5 6MT (Imola Red/Black Full) | 2022 BMW M5 CS (Brands Hatch Grey) | 2006 E46 M3 Comp 6MT (Silver Grey/Black, CSL clone) | 2011.5 E92 M3 (Fire Orange/Black Recaros, 4.6L Stroker, GTS Clone) | 2011 1M (Valencia Orange/Black)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #15
Moderato
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335

Regarding the climate control, my E46 would go down to 59 which was just straight outside air and you could tell it was bypassing the filter. My E92 only seems to go down to 60 which is definitely not straight outside air. Anyway to get the E92 to just let in cool air through the vents without heating it 60?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #16
R12ax7
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 340xi

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
What Trim did you get Faston?

(I have a SG/Terra/Light Poplar less than 2 weeks away, although its certainly too late for me to change now!)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #17
Bimmeration
BEEMDUBLEW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' Tesla Model S 85kw

why dont you do some more test driving before you purchase?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #18
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude

congrats on your new car.

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #19
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by faston View Post
-The side mirrors are SMALL! I actually use the side view mirrors to cover my blind spots and they are significantly smaller than the E46. I know a lot of people on here were groaning about the bigger mirrors in the spy pics for the E90 refresh, but I would sure like bigger ones. Also, the right side mirror doesn’t tilt down enough to see the curb like the one in my E46 did. Kinda defeats the purpose of tilting the mirror if you can’t see the ground when it does it!
Yup, the side mirrors are small, but you get used to them. Once I set mine correctly (about 20K miles after getting the car), I think they're just fine.

Quote:
-As soon as I got it home, I left it idling and got out and put my hand behind each exhaust pipe. There was exhaust coming out of both of them. Thought we needed the ‘golf tee mod’ or to unplug the solenoid to achieve that?
No, not once it's warmed up.

Quote:
-Convenient Access is very cool. I wear jeans pretty much all the time and have taken to leaving the key in the little key pocket in my jeans, but I am worried that I am going to forget about the key in my pocket and run it through the wash. Is the accepted method of leaving the car to just let the radio etc run and get out of the car and lock it? Feels strange to do that.
That's a fine way to do it, as long as you remember to lock the car. Most of us either press the button twice (this is what I do) or press and HOLD the button until everything is shut off. If you have a MT, you might want to shut off with the clutch in, to avoid the "death rattle," if you hear rattling when you shut it off.

Quote:
-Glad I got the MT. It is awesome. So glad I didn’t listen to the sirens luring me to the rocky shoals of autobox.

Quote:
-there is no option to change the sensitivity of the auto headlamps in my idrive menus. This seems very strange to me. Of course in the lighting menu I don’t have the DRL option since it is mandatory up here, but I can’t see any reason for them to not include the auto headlamp sensitivity option. Do I have to go in to the dealership to have them program the sensitivity? I’d like the sensitivity turned down so they don’t come on so soon.
They took this option out, no idea why. But rest assured, even with this option set to the least sensitive setting, the auto lights come on way too soon.

Quote:
-my centre console has a spring-loaded lid. In the DIY for installing the split lid, there is a lot of talk about the lids not being spring loaded
That's new for 08, I think. A welcome addition.

Quote:
-There is a section in the manual about setting the clock. Do we really need to set the clock when the nav is connected to an atomic accurate clock?
Yes. This is dumb. It would be nice if the clock was set via the nav and could automatically adjust based on location.

Quote:
-Sucks that the side mirrors don’t automatically fold out when you unlock the car. Would be bad enough if it was just something that they forgot, but much worse that it’s something the cars used to have but they took away. Makes no sense.
Yup, I have an 06 that folds the mirrors when you lock and unfolds when you unlock. It is a nice feature and it makes no sense they took it away. But I'd trade that feature for a turbo engine.

Enjoy the new car! A few quirks, but you'll get over them quickly, I'm sure.
      05-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #20
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

congrats and welcome
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 12:17 AM   #21
SRDV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335i E90

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2007 530i  [0.00]
congrats and just enjoy it
      05-29-2008, 12:56 AM   #22
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

congrats, as for the short comings, wait till you break her in... the smile you get on your face will soon make you forget all the short comings...kinda like the top gear episode with the M5 - sucked until he hit that M button - then it's a totally different car!
Appreciate 0