BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

05-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

1200 Mile service for DCT & 6MT

I wanted to make a thread that summarizes the "do" and "do nots" to be done at the 1200 mile first service for the new M for both 6MT and DCT. There seems to be a lot of floating experiences so feel free to chime in (including part numbers, etc. of replacement parts) and I'll keep updating the first post so people can just read this one. This should be for all the universal/mandatory maintenance at ~1200 miles on our cars.

Perhaps a sticky is in order?

6MT & DCT
DO: Change engine oil with ... (# liters of what oil?)
DO: Change differential oil with ... (# liters of what oil?)
DO: Change air filter element with ... (part #)
DO: Change oil filter element with ... (part #)

6MT Specific
DO: Change transmission oil with ... (# liters of what oil?)

DCT Specific
DO NOT: DCT transmission oil should not be changed at this service with anything!

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.

Last edited by MDCTFTW; 05-29-2008 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
omfsgraffs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
I wanted to make a thread that summarizes the "do" and "do nots" to be done at the 1200 mile first service for the new M for both 6MT and DCT. There seems to be a lot of floating experiences so feel free to chime in (including part numbers, etc. of replacement parts) and I'll keep updating the first post so people can just read this one. This should be for all the universal/mandatory maintenance at ~1200 miles on our cars.

Perhaps a sticky is in order?

6MT & DCT
DO: Change engine oil with ... (# liters of what oil?)
DO: Change differential oil with ... (# liters of what oil?)
DO: Change air filter element with ... (part #)
DO: Change oil filter element with ... (part #)

6MT Specific
DO: Change transmission oil with ... (# liters of what oil?)

DCT Specific
DO NOT: DCT transmission oil should not be changed at this service with anything!

I brought my M3 E90 DCT to be serviced at 1200 miles. I received a call from the service dept stating that they drained the transmission fluid and now yhey have to get the fluid directly from BMW. The car has been at the service dept for a total of 7 days. What happens if they change the transmission fluid?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by omfsgraffs View Post
I brought my M3 E90 DCT to be serviced at 1200 miles. I received a call from the service dept stating that they drained the transmission fluid and now yhey have to get the fluid directly from BMW. The car has been at the service dept for a total of 7 days. What happens if they change the transmission fluid?
Nothing as long as they put the correct fluid back in!

The problem a few had was that the dealer put regular manual tranny fluid back in! At least one poster had his entire tranny replaced because of it.

It's too bad they drained your oil as they were told in several bulletins to NOT change it. However, it is good that they are ordering the correct fluid to fill it! Somebody phucked up and drained it...now you have to wait for the fluid, which is already in short supply, to come from Germany. Hence your wait.

I would be a little pissed as this is clearly a dealer oversight/screw up. Ask them to hook you up with some accessories or something for all your trouble.

The BMW bulletins are listed in another thread, specifically telling dealers to NOT change the oil in the DCT. If you reference those when you talk to the dealer, I bet you may get a free "M" polo shirt or something!
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 03:12 AM   #4
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by omfsgraffs View Post
Ah shit. Sorry to hear about that, but at least they're fixing it correctly. Should be fine as long as they put the right fluid back in. And yes you have a right to be annoyed at them.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0