E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Noise Coming from CD Changer Area??

06-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
brian3b
B-Dizzle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i - E90

Noise Coming from CD Changer Area??

I just had over $11K worth of repair damage on my car. They had to replace one of the exhaust legs (left), rebuild everything under the bumper, and install a new bumper. Now when I turn off the car, get out, and open the trunk, I hear this pretty obvious noise - it's electronic, not mechanical - of something that sounds kind of like a dull winey noise. I don't think I've ever recognized it before and if I did, it certainly wasn't this loud. It's coming from the CD Changer compartment on the left in the trunk. I opened it (I don't have the changer) and there appears to be what looks like am amplifier down there, but Not sure what it is.

Does anyone know what this is or what may be causing it? Could the repair shop have messed up somehow - maybe by not installing something that dampens the sound? I'd appreciate any feedback! Thank you much!
HD & Sirius Radio, USB Adapter
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
brian3b
B-Dizzle
United_States
Rep

Anyone?! -- Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
habanero69
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i - F33

I just picked up a 08 335i vert this weekend. I have noticed what you describe several times, although mine is a vert and there is no CD change per se. The area in the left rear side near where the CD changer would be is where I hear it. It sometimes runs for 5 or more minutes, mostly when its been the hottest drive/part of the day (I am in Florida). Sometimes it stops after shutting the engine off pretty much right away. I don't know where the fuel pump is, but it sounds like it may be that based on the type of sound I hear. The car is so new I don't know if I should worry that much or just wait and see. All the stuff I have seen on fuel pump issues I would hope has been resolved by now?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
brian3b
B-Dizzle
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by habanero69 View Post
I just picked up a 08 335i vert this weekend. I have noticed what you describe several times, although mine is a vert and there is no CD change per se. The area in the left rear side near where the CD changer would be is where I hear it. It sometimes runs for 5 or more minutes, mostly when its been the hottest drive/part of the day (I am in Florida). Sometimes it stops after shutting the engine off pretty much right away. I don't know where the fuel pump is, but it sounds like it may be that based on the type of sound I hear. The car is so new I don't know if I should worry that much or just wait and see. All the stuff I have seen on fuel pump issues I would hope has been resolved by now?
Not sure if it's the fuel pump... if it is, does the length of time the car is on determine how often or how loud it runs?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
habanero69
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i - F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3b View Post
Not sure if it's the fuel pump... if it is, does the length of time the car is on determine how often or how loud it runs?
In my case I'm not sure. When I first got the car I didn't notice it at all. When I turned off the car and went to retrieve stuff out of the trunk, I heard it. I waited and waited and finally it stopped after about a good 5 minutes. Other times I've not heard it at all, or it stopped after maybe 30 seconds. It might run less after shorter trips or at night, but I am not 100% sure. I don't want to drive myself crazy worrying about it. I wish someone could confirm the location of the fuel pump, although that might make me fret more. I was hoping that an 08 would not have to consider the apparent history of fuel pump issues...