E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brake bleeding

02-25-2018, 05:19 AM   #1
andas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: multipla

Brake bleeding

I have seen videos of people using pressure bleeders that attach to brake fluid reservoir, I can't seem find them in europe

Is it possible to bleed alone with this type of vacuum bleeder? Or is this just a pressure leak testing pump and 2 people are needed to bleed the fluid?

Also found this,

Would this be similar to motive bleeder?

Last edited by andas; 02-25-2018 at 06:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:11 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

You can use that first type just fine; those are used on motorcycles, it just make take some time. The second apparatus looks like it would work if it has the correct cap to fit the BMW brake master cylinder reservoir. It looks like the pressure comes from the tire, where the hose supplying the pressure attaches to the Shrader valve on the wheel. You have to be careful though, because th max pressure you want to use to pressurize the brake master cylinder reservoir is only 18 - 20 PSI, where a tire is over 30 PSI.

Instead of those, just use the two-person pump method instead if you can't find a pressure bleeder. If you are good, you can do the pump method by yourself. If you have the proper catch bottle set up where the end of the tubing connected to the bleeder valve sits in brake fluid and doesn't allow air to get back into the brake caliper, you can use a boom handle to pump the brake pedal. The trick is to have the catch bottle above the height of the top of the brake caliper. And once pumped a few times wedge the broom handle against the door frame rubber seal to keep the pedal pressed down, then go close the bleeder valve.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 02-25-2018 at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
andas16.50
      02-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I had no issues doing a fluid flush by myself with the kit below.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...007091ecs03kt/
      02-25-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

I currently use a pressure bleeder and it is GREAT, but if you say it's an issue getting that in Europe, then not an option, though I'm a bit surprised by that.

A few cars ago I used SpeedBleeders (http://www.speedbleeder.com/). This replaces the bleeder screw with one with an integral check valve. You turn it 1/4 turn like normal, but nothing happens until you press the brake pedal. So it's like the normal 2-person method, but you don't need the second person. It seemed to work pretty well, but does require replacement of the bleeder screws.
2011 e70 x5 diesel
2010 Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
Ikejones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I had a really hard time using the bleeder in the first pic. I rented one from advanced Auto. Ended up just getting a buddy to help do it the old fashioned way.

Now, I was doing a full bleed and replacing all fluid, so that might have played a part. That fluid looked amazing in all corners when I was finished
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #6
N54POWR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Garage List
2011 335is  [8.66]
I prefer this style system. It uses air pressure to create a vacuum that sucks through the bleeder instead of putting pressure in the reservoir. A self feeding tank sits inside the reservoir so it’s always topped off.

Last edited by N54POWR; 02-26-2018 at 01:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54POWR View Post
I prefer this style system. It uses air pressure to create a vacuum that sucks through the bleeder instead of putting pressure in the reservoir. A self feeding tank sits inside the reservoir so it’s always topped off.
Who's kit is that? Looks nice.
Appreciate 1
N54POWR52.00
      02-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
N54POWR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Garage List
2011 335is  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54POWR View Post
Who's kit is that? Looks nice.
The vacuum bleeder is by capri and the feeder bottle is by fit tools. Both on amazon, though lots of different companies with similar products out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #9
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I've had and used mightyvacs, compressor powered venturi setups like above and the motive pressure bleeding setup.

pressure bleeding wins, every time.
vacuum bleeding works, but there's some tricks. First of all, take the bleeder screws out completely. Otherwise you'll just suck air at the threads. Take it out, use the small tip ad jam it into the caliper directly. It will work mo betterer.
secondly, the hoses that come with the kits are too short to be practical. get some new vinyl hose.
A larger catch bottle also goes a long way. The small one sucks.

personally I've not touched any vacuum bleeding stuff since motive. I can do all four corners in like 30 minutes. it's amazeballs.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
I've had and used mightyvacs, compressor powered venturi setups like above and the motive pressure bleeding setup.

vacuum bleeding works, but there's some tricks. First of all, take the bleeder screws out completely. Otherwise you'll just suck air at the threads. Take it out, use the small tip ad jam it into the caliper directly. It will work mo betterer.
secondly, the hoses that come with the kits are too short to be practical. get some new vinyl hose.

personally I've not touched any vacuum bleeding stuff since motive. I can do all four corners in like 30 minutes. it's amazeballs.
I used motive too last time just simple awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

i used the motive one as well...its $55 on ecs. i believe all the european brands use the same connector for the brake resevior so you should be able to use for other cars too
2018 Infiniti Q60 Redsport AWD
2008 BMW 335ix
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #12
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
i used the motive one as well...its $55 on ecs. i believe all the european brands use the same connector for the brake resevior so you should be able to use for other cars too
thus far it fits volvo, bmw and vw.

fromthe same euro kit cap.

motive lists european distributors.
https://www.motiveproducts.com/pages...oducts-dealers
Appreciate 1
TemjinX2520.50
      02-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I agree with the Motive unit, great device and procedure. The reason I asked about the vacuum setup is because my Hummer for some reason doesn't interface well with my Motive pressure bleeder. Yup, I have the GM cap and tried both thicknesses of the rubber sealing washer. I've followed the pressure bleeding proceed from All Data too. All I get is brake fluid all over the engine compartment and on my shop floor
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

IMO you can't bleed the clutch without a pressure bleeder. Vacuum doesn't work on the clutch hydraulics.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #15
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I agree with the Motive unit, great device and procedure. The reason I asked about the vacuum setup is because my Hummer for some reason doesn't interface well with my Motive pressure bleeder. Yup, I have the GM cap and tried both thicknesses of the rubber sealing washer. I've followed the pressure bleeding proceed from All Data too. All I get is brake fluid all over the engine compartment and on my shop floor
that brings the suck.

Mightyvac will get it done.
since it's a hummer it likely has some generic bleed screws.
speed bleeders work, you can find the common sizes in the help section at the parts store.

also super handy on trail rigs because you can bleed the brakes easily after trail fixes because you're dumb and tore a hardline off the axle....

don't ask, it was a brilliantly stupid one in a million thing that wiped the hardline off the top of the axle.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #16
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I used to have something like the Motive bleeder - but after about 15 years the seals all dried out. I ended up making my own simple one with just the connector to the resiviour hooked up directly to my air compressor. Just keep the PSI under 20 and it works just fine, it's even less messy to clean up and wastes less fluid.

Last edited by hassmaschine; 02-27-2018 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #17
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I used to have something like the Motive bleeder - but after about 15 years the seals all dried out. I ended up making my own simple one with just the connector to the resistor hooked up directly to my air compressor. Just keep the PSI under 20 and it works just fine, it's even less messy to clean up and wastes less fluid.
this is a fair point.
I saw a DY where a guy made a pressure bleeder from a garden sprayer.

I deemed it not worth my time since I could buy one for $55 on amazon, but for someone where it's not available...

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/pressure-.../bleeder.shtml
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
that brings the suck.

Mightyvac will get it done.
since it's a hummer it likely has some generic bleed screws.
speed bleeders work, you can find the common sizes in the help section at the parts store.

also super handy on trail rigs because you can bleed the brakes easily after trail fixes because you're dumb and tore a hardline off the axle....

don't ask, it was a brilliantly stupid one in a million thing that wiped the hardline off the top of the axle.
Yeah, I'm not sure why it doesn't work to pressure bleed the Hummer. I just need to resurrect my wife's calibrated right foot . She likes (I think) riding the lift
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #19
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

I have the Motiv bleeder with the aluminum reservoir cap.
Worked great to bleed the F3x brakes in my E90.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 04:28 PM   #20
SpartaEvolution
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E39 M5, E36 328racecar

Using the vacuum style bleeder in the first picture, I was physically unable to get tubing to fit well enough around the bleeder nipple, so as soon as I pulled vacuum it was pulling air around the bleeder from atmosphere. It still worked well enough, but it was really hard to tell when I was 'done' bleeding because of all the extra bubbles. Because I was alone and I needed to get the car on the road, I ended up re-bleeding each caliper 3 or 4 times until the pedal didn't feel spongy (took a long time, wasted a lot of fluid), then re-bled using the 2-person method the next day when someone was available.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #21
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

that's why when you use a vacuum bleeder you really need to pull the bleed screw completely and use a narrow tipped adapter directly into the caliper.

If you do it right you can pull 25in of vacuum and it will hold for a long while.
Appreciate 0