E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bmw performance exhaust question

03-14-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
Bmw performance exhaust question

Hello friend,

My question involves the bmw genuine exhaust from an e90 328xi.

I love the sound and I want one, but i wanted to know that if i buy this exhaust is the purchase wasted if i don't have headers or an intake?

If i want headers which are compatible?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 12:49 AM   #2
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

What's your definition of 'wasted'? I'm not sure if it boosted my car's power much, but it sounds very nice. Not so loud if you're careful with your throttle pedal. So it did what I wanted it to do.

Everyone with experience says that the Performance Exhaust with headers is very very loud. You may want to reconsider that route. Some say headers with secondary catalytic converter deletion and stock catback is a nice mixture.

I'm not sure if your front wheel drive will affect header fitment, but in the RWD cars, the manifolds have flanges that are connected to a one piece system including the muffler. To install the Performance Exhaust you have to cut the pipes after the secondary cats.

I think all the headers on the market will bolt up to the secondaries properly, barring cheap untested eBay headers.

Hope that helps
      03-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
N52 Moistenor
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrexia View Post
What's your definition of 'wasted'? I'm not sure if it boosted my car's power much, but it sounds very nice. Not so loud if you're careful with your throttle pedal. So it did what I wanted it to do.

Everyone with experience says that the Performance Exhaust with headers is very very loud. You may want to reconsider that route. Some say headers with secondary catalytic converter deletion and stock catback is a nice mixture.

I'm not sure if your front wheel drive will affect header fitment, but in the RWD cars, the manifolds have flanges that are connected to a one piece system including the muffler. To install the Performance Exhaust you have to cut the pipes after the secondary cats.

I think all the headers on the market will bolt up to the secondaries properly, barring cheap untested eBay headers.

Hope that helps
I agree, Ebay headers will certainly not be easy to bolt up or install.

I would not recommend removing the secondary cats if you are fully catless. the secondaries will remove much of the smell.

headers and the BMW PE will be too loud, but I personally don't recommend it because it will not exactly be a good sound unless you have resonators.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
So i don't want to increase sound beyond the BMW PE Exhaust. I was concerned about the very restrictive "looking" factory headers.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrexia View Post

So with factory setup the bmw pe exhaust will still need cutting?
It is not a direct bolt on?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep

The PE comes with clamps. It does not have a forward flange - it comes with two 55mm band clamps for the forward connections (after the secondary cattalytic converters) and a 63.5mm band clamp to connect to the new muffler.

There are no "bolt on" systems to my knowledge because the exhaust in these cars is one piece from right after the exhaust manifold to the tip of the muffler. Maybe some models have multi-piece exhaust like my M3 had? My exhaust was definitely one piece and had to be cut when the PE was installed. Still no flanges on the PE.

This is what you get, plus the band clamps. Note the lack of flanges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinscher View Post
So with factory setup the bmw pe exhaust will still need cutting?
It is not a direct bolt on?
      03-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Yes. I see the lack of flange.

So i dismount the old one, measure the new one, give a couple inches longer too the front section on the old price and cut? It should slide into the PE and i clam it?

That sounds about right to me. I'm sure there is a post our two about it. B thank you for your guidance.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep

Yes you should be able to find some installation threads. You've got it right except you shouldn't leave any extra pipe. You can cut the existing dual pipes at exactly the point where they would meet the new resonater-delete pipe. The included clamps are butt clamps, so you in fact just butt the two ends of the pipe together and tighten the clamp. There won't be a smaller pipe to slide into a larger pipe, they should be the same sizes.

The install instructions do mention that some models have flatter oval exhaust piping, which would complicate things. My '11 did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinscher View Post
Yes. I see the lack of flange.

So i dismount the old one, measure the new one, give a couple inches longer too the front section on the old price and cut? It should slide into the PE and i clam it?

That sounds about right to me. I'm sure there is a post our two about it. B thank you for your guidance.
      03-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #9
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I see,

that's really nice information. I've been under my car once, and i remember it's a round pope, lol. Let's hope it's circular too. lol

Thanks for your help on this!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #10
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Get it....you won't regret it!
Appreciate 0