E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Pre Purchase Inspection questions

03-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Pre Purchase Inspection questions

Hey

I'm in the market for a E92 335i. I have 2 very good BMW indy shops where I live but some, if not most cars listed are about 3 to 5 hours away so finding a good PPI mechanic where they are located isn't easy.

So I was wondering, if I can't find any, do the BMW dealerships still do ok PPI inspections or they are complete trash? Has anyone had one done?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
cheeseforlunch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 MPE BMW 440i xDrive

Garage List
To start, it all depends on which dealership you get the inspection done at.

When I was in the market for an E92 335i (4 months ago), I took a 335i to a local (reputable) BMW dealership for the pre-purchase inspection. When I got the results back, they listed 2-3 major (obvious) issues, and nothing else. Being a 2007 335i, I expected many more problems to be listed, but it seemed as if the dealership found a few major problems, and neglected to complete the "full" inspection that we, the consumers, would be expecting. Nonetheless, they still charged full price.

Basically, the dealership seemed to have slacked on the inspection and didn't go into detail that I would have wanted, but still exposed obvious problems. PPIs are hit-or-miss, all depending on the dealership. They still get the job done, but sometimes seem to skip the details and intricacies.

Hope this helps.

1/25(?) or 1/50(?) 2018 Valencia Orange (M-Performance Edition) BMW 440i xDrive w/ MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarbaboon View Post
To start, it all depends on which dealership you get the inspection done at.

When I was in the market for an E92 335i (4 months ago), I took a 335i to a local (reputable) BMW dealership for the pre-purchase inspection. When I got the results back, they listed 2-3 major (obvious) issues, and nothing else. Being a 2007 335i, I expected many more problems to be listed, but it seemed as if the dealership found a few major problems, and neglected to complete the "full" inspection that we, the consumers, would be expecting. Nonetheless, they still charged full price.

Basically, the dealership seemed to have slacked on the inspection and didn't go into detail that I would have wanted, but still exposed obvious problems. PPIs are hit-or-miss, all depending on the dealership. They still get the job done, but sometimes seem to skip the details and intricacies.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I guess I will make sure to like press it to them and if they don't do the job properly I'll really complain about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Hey

I'm in the market for a E92 335i. I have 2 very good BMW indy shops where I live but some, if not most cars listed are about 3 to 5 hours away so finding a good PPI mechanic where they are located isn't easy.

So I was wondering, if I can't find any, do the BMW dealerships still do ok PPI inspections or they are complete trash? Has anyone had one done?
Do your own. Look up common failure points of this car including common oil leaks (OPG, VCG, OFHG, RMS...)

Ask if the HPFP and water pump has been replaced. Turbo chargers.

Ask what kind of oil is in the car. Change intervals.

You get the point. Take your time. Ask the right questions. You'll figure out whether it's the right car or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 10:00 PM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
Do your own. Look up common failure points of this car including common oil leaks (OPG, VCG, OFHG, RMS...)

Ask if the HPFP and water pump has been replaced. Turbo chargers.

Ask what kind of oil is in the car. Change intervals.

You get the point. Take your time. Ask the right questions. You'll figure out whether it's the right car or not.
Yeah but that's not really PPI. And if I'm buying from a used car dealer, they'll probably have records for that.

What I consider a PPI is they do that + check under, suspension, bushings and things like that.

And then I get a report of what should be replaced now.
Appreciate 0