E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How much do you think my 335i is worth?

10-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
Lashko
Unknown Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive

Hello everyone. I am creating this thread because I want to find out how much my 335i is worth. If I am in the wrong thread then I apologize. I currently have a loan on the car and I still owe $7,000. I need to sell my car because I cannot afford it anymore reason being is that my father suffered a stroke and I need to be by his side meaning I have to leave my job. I cannot afford the payments, insurance, and maintenance anymore. I have tried my best to keep up with maintenance and have treated this car like my own baby. I have all service records for it, oil was changed routinely. The car does have one problem though.... can you guess? Wastegate Rattle!!! Shocking right? So the turbos will need to be replaced. Attached will be pictures and information will be listed below. If I could get suggestions on how much you think my car is worth I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

2010 BMW 335i xDrive
111,000 miles
Alpine White
6-Speed Manual
M-Sport Package
Cold Weather Package
Black Interior
NO Navigation

BC Racing Extreme Low Coilovers
Spacers (12mm Front/17mm Rear)
Custom Splatter Interior
Custom Headlights with LED Angel Eyes
Performance Exhaust Mod on rear mufflers
Carbon Fiber Front Splitters
Carbon Fiber Wrapped side skirt extensions
Carbon Fiber Wrapped rear bumper extensions
MHD Exhaust Burble
VRSF Chargepipe
Stock Intake
Stock Tune besides burble
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Sorry to hear about your father. You might be able to get what you owe on it - if you are lucky. e90s depreciated rather horribly. You can try to see what carmax would give you and go from there. That should be your first step. Your car being over 100k and with some mechanical issue, you would be lucky to even get that much (7-8k). In perfect working condition, you are looking at about 11-13k.

If you are really concerned about your payments, refinance your car. Extend the payment term to 48-60 months and your payment on it would be less than $100. At least you will have the car that you know and enjoy. If the car doesn't need anything major (other than those turbos), it will probably cost you less to keep it than to buy something new.

Consider everything before you jump ship. Don't be one of those people who ditched their paid off 18mpg perfectly working trucks because gas was $5 per gallon and their gas bill went from $50 to $75 per tank for a car that was costing them $45 per tank and $400 in monthly payments.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

I didn't even notice you were from Rochester till I saw the "Little Speed Shop" sticker in the window! They swapped my OEM tires over to my Apex wheels last year. Not sure on the value, but the car looks good! Sorry for your situation.
      10-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #4
Lashko
Unknown Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Sorry to hear about your father. You might be able to get what you owe on it - if you are lucky. e90s depreciated rather horribly. You can try to see what carmax would give you and go from there. That should be your first step. Your car being over 100k and with some mechanical issue, you would be lucky to even get that much (7-8k). In perfect working condition, you are looking at about 11-13k.

If you are really concerned about your payments, refinance your car. Extend the payment term to 48-60 months and your payment on it would be less than $100. At least you will have the car that you know and enjoy. If the car doesn't need anything major (other than those turbos), it will probably cost you less to keep it than to buy something new.

Consider everything before you jump ship. Don't be one of those people who ditched their paid off 18mpg perfectly working trucks because gas was $5 per gallon and their gas bill went from $50 to $75 per tank for a car that was costing them $45 per tank and $400 in monthly payments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post

Thank you for the suggestion. I wasn't planning on pulling the trigger right away. I am just trying to see my options right now. I was thinking of doing a turbo rebuild as I do not have the funds to buy new turbos, but there isn't much on the web about rebuilding these suckers. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
Lashko
Unknown Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
I didn't even notice you were from Rochester till I saw the "Little Speed Shop" sticker in the window! They swapped my OEM tires over to my Apex wheels last year. Not sure on the value, but the car looks good! Sorry for your situation.
Quote:
Haha yes I am from Rochester, but I just recently moved to South Carolina. Little speed shop is an awesome shop and I would definitely recommend them. And thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 10:32 PM   #6
P-rex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashko View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Haha yes I am from Rochester, but I just recently moved to South Carolina. Little speed shop is an awesome shop and I would definitely recommend them. And thank you very much!
There is a way to code the wastegate a full time open position which would eliminate the rattle so I’ve read.

Maybe someone on here could elaborate through experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #7
Lashko
Unknown Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-rex View Post
There is a way to code the wastegate a full time open position which would eliminate the rattle so I’ve read.

Maybe someone on here could elaborate through experience.
I would rather have the buyer be aware of the wastegate rattle and fix it on his own. I do not want to mask the issue and give the new owner a headache a few months down the road, but thank you for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:15 PM   #8
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

To be brutally honest, the mods you have on it make it worth less, not more, than an otherwise stock car with the same issues.

Returning it closer to stock would get you more than what it looks like as-is.
Appreciate 2
tcphoto3541.50
      10-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
Yeah start parting it out. Those headlight would go for good money, and charge pipe.
If you have waistgate rattle with real cats on then it will be a big issue soon.
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #10
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
To be brutally honest, the mods you have on it make it worth less, not more, than an otherwise stock car with the same issues.

Thats a fact!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

I ran the numbers for you and I've got some good news.

Your 30 day Manhiem MMR on this vehicle adjusted for mileage, condition, and location is exactly $7700. This is the same number the dealer would give you on trade in if the dealer was being fair.

I have a used dealer's license so I do (realistic) price checks for people on this forum quite frequently. Many people get pissed when I tell them their 2006 330i with 120k miles is worth $3500 at trade in (or auction) or $5800 private party value but it's the truth. Few months ago I saw a dumbass on here asking $10,900 for his 2006 330i with 95k miles. He tripping tf out.

In your rare case, your car is actually worth more than you owe! I think you can sell it private party very easily for $8k-8500 as long as you return everything back to stock. Not sure how bad your wastegate rattle is but most auction 335i are shit anyways. There's a reason the dealer sent it to auction rather than let it sit on their lot.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #12
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Sorry to hear about your old man, parent stuff is really rough. Like others have said, a stock car is worth more on the market, although there is a chance you could find the right buyer on the forums who will appreciate the monetary value of the modifications. I would say part out all the aftermarket parts on here, eBay, or Craigslist. Then use that money towards replacing those parts back to stock, and if there is anything leftover (which there should be) see if you can work in a repair to the turbos. It just depends what you could get for it repaired or as is, and if there is a significant profit in there for you. Honestly I would return to stock, and try to sell it to Carmax. They are the biggest assholes and I wouldn't have a bad conscience in the slightest if their moron employees didn't notice it and offered you full, or near-full market price.

Or you could go the route of just refinancing for 48-60 months like W37V said, and enjoy a nice, small payment until you can finally pay it off. And maybe try some finagling with the insurance company and try to get one of your parents as the main insuree, given he has a good record of no claims/tix.

In all honesty I think you did a really nice job with your car, it looks pretty freaking good. If I had the money I'd buy it off you for sure! A little off topic but how did you do the interior trim, I really like that! If you do come to parting those out I would buy those off you or maybe trade with a wood trim set I have if you really want to go back to stock.

Best wishes!

-F
      10-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #13
Lashko
Unknown Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post

I have to agree. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #14
Lashko
Unknown Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
I ran the numbers for you and I've got some good news.

Your 30 day Manhiem MMR on this vehicle adjusted for mileage, condition, and location is exactly $7700. This is the same number the dealer would give you on trade in if the dealer was being fair.

I have a used dealer's license so I do (realistic) price checks for people on this forum quite frequently. Many people get pissed when I tell them their 2006 330i with 120k miles is worth $3500 at trade in (or auction) or $5800 private party value but it's the truth. Few months ago I saw a dumbass on here asking $10,900 for his 2006 330i with 95k miles. He tripping tf out.

In your rare case, your car is actually worth more than you owe! I think you can sell it private party very easily for $8k-8500 as long as you return everything back to stock. Not sure how bad your wastegate rattle is but most auction 335i are shit anyways. There's a reason the dealer sent it to auction rather than let it sit on their lot.
Thank you for taking your time and doing that for me. I appreciate it. I will take your suggestion into consideration.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #15
Lashko
Unknown Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Hey there - sorry to hear about your father. Mine had a stroke many years ago, and I know how trying it can be.

Here are some specifics on your car, I have managed and directed auto dealerships for nearly 20 years in my past life (I'm a CPA these days), but still have access to most dealer only websites.

The car doesn't need to go completely back to stock, but you at least need to remove some of the more noticeable mods, specifically the splatter paint interior components. If you could get it back to mostly stock condition in looks, then the car is likely worth around $8000 wholesale, meaning you should be able to get more than what you owe out of it at Carmax or somewhere similar. The car is probably worth around $10-$12K retail if you can find the right buyer.

NOTE: These values are based on it not having any issues with the turbos.

The turbo issue is going to eliminate nearly 100% of your retail buyers, so you will either need to fix it before sale, or be willing to drop the price $3-$4K and hope a buyer is willing to come along that doesn't mind a project car - which is unlikely.

If the waste gate rattle isn't too noticeable, you may be able to get it through Carmax without having them notice. Might be worth an appraisal just to see where you stand.
I am sorry to hear about your father as well. I appreciate you taking your time to help me out. If CarMax gives me 8,000 for it in stock form then I will be very happy. It's worth a try. And thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #16
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Hey there - sorry to hear about your father. Mine had a stroke many years ago, and I know how trying it can be.

Here are some specifics on your car, I have managed and directed auto dealerships for nearly 20 years in my past life (I'm a CPA these days), but still have access to most dealer only websites.

The car doesn't need to go completely back to stock, but you at least need to remove some of the more noticeable mods, specifically the splatter paint interior components. If you could get it back to mostly stock condition in looks, then the car is likely worth around $8000 wholesale, meaning you should be able to get more than what you owe out of it at Carmax or somewhere similar. The car is probably worth around $10-$12K retail if you can find the right buyer.

NOTE: These values are based on it not having any issues with the turbos.

The turbo issue is going to eliminate nearly 100% of your retail buyers, so you will either need to fix it before sale, or be willing to drop the price $3-$4K and hope a buyer is willing to come along that doesn't mind a project car - which is unlikely.

If the waste gate rattle isn't too noticeable, you may be able to get it through Carmax without having them notice. Might be worth an appraisal just to see where you stand.
Hey, that's so cool! I'm currently studying for my CPA exams. Just graduated in May.

We're both in the used car biz and now we're gonna be in the same field too. May I ask if you're in public practice? Audit or tax? And firm size (small/regional/national/big 4?)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #17
Lashko
Unknown Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
Sorry to hear about your old man, parent stuff is really rough. Like others have said, a stock car is worth more on the market, although there is a chance you could find the right buyer on the forums who will appreciate the monetary value of the modifications. I would say part out all the aftermarket parts on here, eBay, or Craigslist. Then use that money towards replacing those parts back to stock, and if there is anything leftover (which there should be) see if you can work in a repair to the turbos. It just depends what you could get for it repaired or as is, and if there is a significant profit in there for you. Honestly I would return to stock, and try to sell it to Carmax. They are the biggest assholes and I wouldn't have a bad conscience in the slightest if their moron employees didn't notice it and offered you full, or near-full market price.

Or you could go the route of just refinancing for 48-60 months like W37V said, and enjoy a nice, small payment until you can finally pay it off. And maybe try some finagling with the insurance company and try to get one of your parents as the main insuree, given he has a good record of no claims/tix.

In all honesty I think you did a really nice job with your car, it looks pretty freaking good. If I had the money I'd buy it off you for sure! A little off topic but how did you do the interior trim, I really like that! If you do come to parting those out I would buy those off you or maybe trade with a wood trim set I have if you really want to go back to stock.

Best wishes!

-F
Yeah it really sucks and thank you! Many people have been suggesting to return it to stock and I am thinking about doing so. I could get a good buck from my BC coils and Chargepipe.

Thank you for the compliment! The interior trim was quite simple. I lightly sanded the original clear coat that was on the trim. Then I painted a primer over it and then painted 4 coats of a white acrylic enamel that you can get at AutoZone. Gave that 24 hours to dry and splattered red, blue, and purple acrylic paint that I purchased from Michael's. I put on a rubber glove and splattered it with my fingers. Applied a clear coat so the acrylic wouldn't peel off and reinstalled it. It was a simple DIY and I don't regret doing it. I've been in South Carolina heat all summer long and I don't see any signs of peeling whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #18
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I could get a good buck from my BC coils and Chargepipe.
Not to mention your headlights, front carbon splitter and bumper, Performance Exhaust!! A pretty penny indeed.

Even when it goes back to stock, a 6MT 335i with M-Sport package has inherent value in my opinion! I'm sure there is someone on here or around the BMW web that would be very interested, I don't imagine you would have any serious issues selling it past the wastegate issue. And going back to stock and selling it to a normie wouldn't be hard either. It's a great car for the money.
      10-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #19
WhatDoIPutHere
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Do you plan on putting the car back to stock and then selling it, or selling as is?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #20
Lashko
Unknown Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not to mention your headlights, front carbon splitter and bumper, Performance Exhaust!! A pretty penny indeed.

Even when it goes back to stock, a 6MT 335i with M-Sport package has inherent value in my opinion! I'm sure there is someone on here or around the BMW web that would be very interested, I don't imagine you would have any serious issues selling it past the wastegate issue. And going back to stock and selling it to a normie wouldn't be hard either. It's a great car for the money.
Quote:
Quote:

I am definitely not worried about being able to sell it. I was just worried about losing money on it. I am not looking to make money off of it either. Just want to sell her and focus on family and career. I do have a daily driver so the quicker I sell the better.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #21
Lashko
Unknown Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoIPutHere View Post
Do you plan on putting the car back to stock and then selling it, or selling as is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoIPutHere View Post
I am going to try to sell it as is. If I don't get any bites then I will revert it back to stock, sell all of my aftermarket parts and take the car to the dealer. I would love to fix the wastegate issue but I do not have any time for that because of my situation.
Appreciate 1
Fritzer944.50
      10-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #22
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I am definitely not worried about being able to sell it. I was just worried about losing money on it. I am not looking to make money off of it either. Just want to sell her and focus on family and career. I do have a daily driver so the quicker I sell the better.
Whats your daily if I may ask?