E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP, Shaky Steering Wheel

01-24-2021, 09:02 PM   #1
Jlomboy
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i e92

Exclamation HELP, Shaky Steering Wheel

I have a bad steering wheel shake when car is cold. When driven for a couple minutes while cold steering wheel shimmy’s like crazy. Currently running Conti’s. Got my suspension checked out by Indy shops 3 times and said there were no problems but to check up on control arms as they tend to fail around my mileage. Could it be bent rims or flat spotting?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:10 PM   #2
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

I've had some tires that flat spot when sitting for an extended period. Contential DW did it in all weather after an extended time sitting still. Most all of the 200tw summer tires will do it with increasing severity as it gets colder.

If it only does it in cold weather, and it goes away after driving a little ways, I'd check the tire pressures and just accept it as a characteristic of the tire.
Appreciate 1
3PedalJake2613.50
      01-24-2021, 09:12 PM   #3
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Yes. Very possible to be bent rims and/or flat spotting. It could still be control arms, sometimes it's hard to tell if the bushings are worn or cracked unless you remove them.

I just went through an ordeal fixing vibrations and found bent rims. Easiest way to check is jack the front of your car up and put something fixed against the tread to see if it's spinning perfectly. You could tape a screwdriver to a jack stand or something just to have a fixed reference point and then put the edge of the screwdriver just barely touching the tire and spin it. This is how I confirmed it was a wheel/tire issue and not suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:16 PM   #4
Jlomboy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Yes. Very possible to be bent rims and/or flat spotting. It could still be control arms, sometimes it's hard to tell if the bushings are worn or cracked unless you remove them.

I just went through an ordeal fixing vibrations and found bent rims. Easiest way to check is jack the front of your car up and put something fixed against the tread to see if it's spinning perfectly. You could tape a screwdriver to a jack stand or something just to have a fixed reference point and then put the edge of the screwdriver just barely touching the tire and spin it. This is how I confirmed it was a wheel/tire issue and not suspension.
Got my rims fixed a year ago and grabbed new conti’s. Also got checked 3 times but reputable shops. I guess it might be my rims
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:17 PM   #5
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Not sure how a bent rim would only affect you when it's cold tho. Tires yes, but not a rim it's either bent or not bent.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJake View Post
Not sure how a bent rim would only affect you when it's cold tho. Tires yes, but not a rim it's either bent or not bent.
Thats a good point. Might just be flat spots from the cold. If it's causing crazy vibrations you could just jack the car up after its cold and sitting and spin the wheels, you should be able to see the flat spots.

I had a set of four flat spotted tires and it was very obviosu just jacking and spinning them.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:27 PM   #7
Jlomboy
Rep

Quote:
Rims were fixed, maybe flat spotting. Also steering wheel shakes a little now
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:33 PM   #8
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Thats a good point. Might just be flat spots from the cold. If it's causing crazy vibrations you could just jack the car up after its cold and sitting and spin the wheels, you should be able to see the flat spots.

I had a set of four flat spotted tires and it was very obviosu just jacking and spinning them.
That's what I'm thinking especially in the middle of winter altho OP says he has new Contis and I'm assuming he checks the pressure, so unless they're defective it's prolly not that either. It doesn't take much play in the thrust arm to make a shimmy and it is a rubber bushing, it might tighten up as it rubs and warms, IDK just spitballing here the "when cold" is the mystery part.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:34 PM   #9
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlomboy View Post
Rims were fixed, maybe flat spotting. Also steering wheel shakes a little now
Have you left it sitting for months? Done any skid stops? Even ebay tires don't just flat themselves let alone contis.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:40 PM   #10
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
When you said your suspension was "checked" what exactly was checked? Did you get an alignment? Did they put a prybar on your thrust arm and see if the bushing was tight? The cold part is a mystery but thrust arm bushing is a prime candidate for a shimmy if your wheels and tires are good and your alignment is on. Tie rods cause shimmy too but the thrust arm is a rubber bushing so I'm thinking that might be affected by cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:19 PM   #11
Jlomboy
Rep

Quote:
When you said your suspension was "checked" what exactly was checked? Did you get an alignment? Did they put a prybar on your thrust arm and see if the bushing was tight? The cold part is a mystery but thrust arm bushing is a prime candidate for a shimmy if your wheels and tires are good and your alignment is on. Tie rods cause shimmy too but the thrust arm is a rubber bushing so I'm thinking that might be affected by cold.
Was gonna get an alignment, not sure if they use the prybar method.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:44 PM   #12
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

All tires will "flat spot" to a degree from sitting stationary. This doesn't mean that a section of rubber is worn away, like in a brake lock up situation, but the tire deforms some from the weight of the car. This is exacerbated by cold weather, and takes longer for the tire to come back into it's normal, round shape. If it goes away after driving the car for a while, i.e. getting some heat into the tires, this is very likely your issue. Bent rims and worn suspension/steering components, as well as alignment, don't fix themselves by driving. Of course, this is a BMW we're talking about, so anything is possible.

If you have the ability to park your car in dirt/grass for a night, I'd try that and see if the symptoms change. If the shake doesn't appear, or is lessened, that's a pretty good sign of what's going on. Although, this time of year, depending on where you live, the ground could be frozen as hard as concrete.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:40 AM   #13
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

There could be flat spotting. Check your tire pressure if you haven't. Have you been sliding around anywhere? It also could be bushings or something suspension related when they warm up and move around. Is it only when braking? Only at certain speeds? Try to isolate it and see if there are any consistencies. I guess you could find a friend with wheels that fit your car that does not have an issue and swap them. That will rule out wheels and tires. If they have the issue on their car with them, then you know they are either bent, tires are bad or potentially separated etc or you need balancing. Just go down the list and try to isolate and narrow it down. Visual inspections don't mean much. It's just an opinion if something "looks" or "feels" good. The slightest bend or something that is not quite right while moving can't be detected with just poking around with a flashlight.

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 06:07 AM   #14
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
How bad is the shake. I would also take in count which road you drive on all the time when it's cold. Maybe you take the same road each morning and it's kinda rough, matter of fact I thought something was very wrong with my car for a while when cold but it was the shitty road I was driving out of the neighborhood through. Tried a different route once and it was almost nonexistent, also since I raised the pressure in my Indy 500s and they don't tend to do that when sitting as much anymore but they have a reputation for flatspotting too after a while
Appreciate 0