E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Doing valave cover. What else while I'm in there?

03-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #1
Tacklewasher
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Conv

Doing valave cover. What else while I'm in there?

New to me 2007 328i Convertible. N52N motor. Runs well and all that. No codes etc.

So my valve cover leaks.

If I'm in there doing the valve cover (replacing it, not just gaskets), what else should I tackle?

In Canada so ordering from Rock Auto. I'd like to place an order for what I need as it doesn't come overnight. I want to start and finish in one day if possible. I've watched videos and read how-to's and am comfortable doing it, but don't want to have to run to BMW if I need a part while in there.

If the car runs fine, is it worth cleaning the Vanos? Should I do the eccentric sensor? I'm thinking no as the car runs fine.

Figure I'll grab the pipe at the back that seems to break just in case.

Want to get this done before it warms up and I really want to drive it.

Thanks.

Also, RA has choices. Will I need spark plug tubes?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
What's your mileage? I would consider the eccentric shaft sensor while you're in there. When it does eventually fail, you'll have to pull the valve cover again to replace it. The previous owner of my car didn't replace the ESS at the same time as the valve cover gasket and now at 135k km, the ESS has oil in the plug. I just keep cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner, hoping to extend its life.

RockAuto carries the OE sensor by VDO/Continental for $220 CAD: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...eeTRheOg%3D%3D
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:03 PM   #3
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
MILVs? I did that in 2 cars because I was in there.

I reused the valve cover and spark plug tubes on mine but I did change the eccentric sensor seal
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:10 PM   #4
MTL_E90er
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 323i

I just tackled this job last summer on my car, I changed the whole cover as you are planning to do.

While I was in there I changed all my sparkplugs and coils.
I did not get the extra spark plug tubes but it might be a good idea to grab a couple since one of mine bent while removing it and it was a pain to get it back to the original shape.
I was hesitating about changing my ESS but after some research it is not worth to change if it is oil free and still working. Mine was oil free at 195k km.

The hose you are talking about is not a bad idea but if you are careful enough you might not need it, I was able to remove it twice without breaking it.
For some peace of mind you could clean the vanos while you are working on it but it is not a ''do it while you're in there'' kinda situation, you could easily clean them afterwards.

If your OFHG is leaking it might be good to get it done while your tools are out. But then again, it's at your discretion since it is not necessarily easier nor harder with the valve cover on or off.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:10 PM   #5
Tacklewasher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
What's your mileage? I would consider the eccentric shaft sensor while you're in there. When it does eventually fail, you'll have to pull the valve cover again to replace it. The previous owner of my car didn't replace the ESS at the same time as the valve cover gasket and now at 135k km, the ESS has oil in the plug. I just keep cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner, hoping to extend its life.

RockAuto carries the OE sensor by VDO/Continental for $220 CAD: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...eeTRheOg%3D%3D
Sorry. I did mean to put that in, but forgot.

180,000 kms. I don't have service records to know if it's been done, just that Carfax shows $20K worth of repairs in 2013. Key fob at the dealer showed everything is up to date on service though, but no clue on if the valve cover has been done before.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:23 PM   #6
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Consider ordering from FCP depending on whether you plan to keep the car or own another N52. Shipping is quite reasonable, it’s fast (2 days), and if you can catch a sale or have a discount code, prices should be very close to RockAuto.

Here’s a 5% discount code for RockAuto if you go that route
Code:
I’ve ordered a number of things from RockAuto as their all-in prices are sometimes better than FCP, but in many cases I feel I was being penny-wise pound-foolish. The parts in question are ones that I think I’d ultimately replace again in the future though.

IMO I wouldn’t preemptively replace ESS unless it’s showing signs of contamination or failure. My car has over 325k kms and is on the original ESS. AFAIK, it fails due to oil contamination in the plug, so if you can prevent that by periodic seal replacement, you should be good.

neilvan Never thought of MILVs but that’s not a bad idea. Is a tune necessary to make proper use of them? Where did you source from and what was cost? BimmerMILVS is out of stock, but when they have them they’re $350, with $40 refund on return of core parts. Seems like a decent chunk of change for ~10 rwHP (less on my xDrive car), especially if a tune is required, but I might not be looking in the right places.

$20k worth of repairs? Sounds like body work to me.
      03-09-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
Tacklewasher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL_E90er View Post
I just tackled this job last summer on my car, I changed the whole cover as you are planning to do.

While I was in there I changed all my sparkplugs and coils.
I did not get the extra spark plug tubes but it might be a good idea to grab a couple since one of mine bent while removing it and it was a pain to get it back to the original shape.
I was hesitating about changing my ESS but after some research it is not worth to change if it is oil free and still working. Mine was oil free at 195k km.

The hose you are talking about is not a bad idea but if you are careful enough you might not need it, I was able to remove it twice without breaking it.
For some peace of mind you could clean the vanos while you are working on it but it is not a ''do it while you're in there'' kinda situation, you could easily clean them afterwards.

If your OFHG is leaking it might be good to get it done while your tools are out. But then again, it's at your discretion since it is not necessarily easier nor harder with the valve cover on or off.
Can you clean the Vanos without taking the cover off?

And any recommendation on brand for the cover? I stuck a Beck/Arnely in my cart as it had the spark plug sleeves that others didn't, but is the Uro or Rein better?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #8
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
C
neilvan Never thought of MILVs but that’s not a bad idea. Is a tune necessary to make proper use of them? Where did you source from and what was cost? BimmerMILVS is out of stock, but when they have them they’re $350, with $40 refund on return of core parts. Seems like a decent chunk of change for ~10 rwHP (less on my xDrive car), especially if a tune is required, but I might not be looking in the right places.

You can install them without a tune and you might get a few HP but youll need the tune to make the full 10WHP (and 10WTQ which both are throughout the whole rev range too not just peak)

It depends if you are modding your E90 or just doing preventitive maintenance. You can get 2-3HP for an "intake" or 10whp for these for ~ the same price
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:41 PM   #9
Tacklewasher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Consider ordering from FCP depending on whether you plan to keep the car or own another N52. Shipping is quite reasonable, it’s fast (2 days), and if you can catch a sale or have a discount code, prices should be very close to RockAuto.

Code:
I’ve ordered a number of things from RockAuto as their all-in prices are sometimes better than FCP, but in many cases I feel I was being penny-wise pound-foolish. The parts in question are ones that I think I’d ultimately replace again in the future though.

IMO I wouldn’t preemptively replace ESS unless it’s showing signs of contamination or failure. My car has over 325k kms and is on the original ESS. AFAIK, it fails due to oil contamination in the plug, so if you can prevent that by periodic seal replacement, you should be good.

FCP shows the cover at $500 USD vs $316 Cdn for RA. I doubt shipping is 2 days to where I live as well. RA is about a week.

Never heard of the MILV before the post above. Curious to know more and if it needs a tune or not. Keep ending up with links to a dead thread for that
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #10
Tacklewasher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
You can install them without a tune and you might get a few HP but youll need the tune to make the full 10WHP (and 10WTQ which both are throughout the whole rev range too not just peak)

It depends if you are modding your E90 or just doing preventitive maintenance. You can get 2-3HP for an "intake" or 10whp for these for ~ the same price
What's a tune cost and who is a good tuner?

I just want to drive with the top down
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:44 PM   #11
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacklewasher View Post
FCP shows the cover at $500 USD vs $316 Cdn for RA. I doubt shipping is 2 days to where I live as well. RA is about a week.

Never heard of the MILV before the post above. Curious to know more and if it needs a tune or not. Keep ending up with links to a dead thread for that
Check out this page" https://www.bimmermilvs.com
      03-09-2021, 02:48 PM   #12
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

do the ESS. at that mileage it's a time bomb.

and rather than ordering the plastic PCV hose, consider replacing it with 3/4 hydraulic return hose.
for future serviceability.
It will slip right over the quick connect fittings.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 03:04 PM   #13
MTL_E90er
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 323i

Quote:
Can you clean the Vanos without taking the cover off?

And any recommendation on brand for the cover? I stuck a Beck/Arnely in my cart as it had the spark plug sleeves that others didn't, but is the Uro or Rein better?
Yes, the vanos can be cleaned without removing the cover. You can access them from the front with the plastic parts over the radiator fan taken off.

Personally I went with a Genuine BMW cover, I have good contacts in the parts industry and it was just over what I would of spent on another OEM brand.
I believe the Rein is better than the URO one but I never tested them out and I never heard of Beck/Arnely. I would go with an OE or an OEM at the very least.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 03:05 PM   #14
Tacklewasher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
Check out this page" https://www.bimmermilvs.com
Out of stock.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2426.50
      03-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #15
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Out of stock.
Damn, I didn't even look at that. I thought you were looking for more info about them. Didn't realize you were looking to buy right away.
      03-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #16
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post

Sounds appealing. Any idea re: the cost of a tune though? I’ve got a 3IM and 330i (Bimmerlabs) tune, but the prospect of shelling out $350 USD plus shipping, and then having to pay for a tune on top of that makes it somewhat less appealing. Thanks for the info. I’m sure it’s all available online but why look when you can ask!
      03-09-2021, 09:30 PM   #17
Tacklewasher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
Damn, I didn't even look at that. I thought you were looking for more info about them. Didn't realize you were looking to buy right away.
I've got the valve cover etc. in a cart with RA. Just waiting to pull the trigger on the order. Have to sort out garage space first.
Appreciate 1
Buug95917908.50
      03-09-2021, 09:50 PM   #18
ome91
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 E91 328xi

What valve cover are you planning on purchasing? I know Rock Auto doesn't have genuine (for VCs atleast)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 07:36 AM   #19
Tacklewasher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omareabbasi View Post
What valve cover are you planning on purchasing? I know Rock Auto doesn't have genuine (for VCs atleast)
BECK/ARNLEY 0360013 {#11127552281} Info
Includes Valve Cover Gasket, Spark Plug Tube Seals, and Valve Cover Bolts

Seems to come with the most "stuff". I'll buy the breather tube separate.

Valve cover kit is $316 Cdn.

I'm now wondering if it's worth getting the 3 stage intake while I'm in there. But not sure how to get a tune if I do.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 07:44 AM   #20
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'm now wondering if it's worth getting the 3 stage intake while I'm in there. But not sure how to get a tune if I do.
100% worth it, Bimmerlabs has free oem 330i tunes. That being said you can do it at any time, not just with the valve cover off.

Quote:
Sounds appealing. Any idea re: the cost of a tune though? I’ve got a 3IM and 330i (Bimmerlabs) tune, but the prospect of shelling out $350 USD plus shipping, and then having to pay for a tune on top of that makes it somewhat less appealing. Thanks for the info. I’m sure it’s all available online but why look when you can ask!
You'd need an aftermarket/performance tune meant for MILVs. If you are planning a tune anyways then id do MILVs. Everyone should do the 3si manifold but depends how much you want to mod the car beyond that. N/A power is never cheap lol
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 07:45 AM   #21
Tacklewasher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Code:
Thanks for this. Placed my order and save $20
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #22
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I used the uro cover and it's been fine for 3 years.

I'd suspect the beck/arnley on likely comes from the same place. There can't be too many factories with the molds.

the intake manifold is a separate job. nothing you're taking off for the valve cover needs to come off to do the intake, except the PCV hose.

bimmerlabs has a free "tune" that's basically your software mashed with the 330 calibrations.
many details in the N52 sub forum.
Appreciate 0