BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

05-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
mr.i
Daily commuter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 M3

2009 e90 M3 Driveline Vibration

Hola,

1st post, but before anyone judges, I've done extensive searches and not found anything like this. Also, before anyone suggests that the tires may be the culprit I need to say that this "ain't my first rodeo". I followed all break-in procedures and baby the car other than the fact that I drive fast.

The car is an '09 e90 M3 and I'm getting a consistent low frequency hum from my rear end (no jokes please) at and above 90mph (on a closed course). I've got no leaks and only 3500mi on the car. The frequency is too fast to be anything aft of the differential, yet it seems isolated to the rear end. I get no excess vibration while accelerating, but the noise is disturbing nonetheless. It's remarkably similar to when I lost a rear pinion seal on my old Yukon, but far more subtle.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm wondering if it's normal as this is my first BMW. It's not severe, but as a convert from Porsche, I'm not used to whatever it is that is going on back there. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Consider this a bump while an expert chimes in, but based on my intensive reading about this fine machine, may I suggest to ask your service department what oil they put in your diff at the 1,200 service? I ask because I read somebody with a similar problem saying they put tranny oil in the diff, when it needs a special one for the LSD. Start with the obvious first, and go from there. It only holds 1+ qts, so it could be easily be done by yourself if desired. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
mr.i
Daily commuter
United_States
Rep

I consulted with my trusty dealer (for real, they're good) and they suggested the differential additive. This is a fix for a different problem that I don't have however. My diff works perfectly and doesn't exhibit the characteristics which are remedied by the additive.

This happens in a straight line at highway speeds and is getting worse. I'd like to check it on a lift, but I haven't had the time. Unfortunately, the U-joint/seal/bearing I suspect is the problem is hidden behind heat shields and exhaust pipes so jamming myself under the car with a mirror and a flashlight yields no clues.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
mr.i
Daily commuter
United_States
Rep

Still vibratin'...
Appreciate 0