E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Steering wheel noise

09-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Very Well

Steering wheel noise

I read a thread here a minute ago about steering wheel noises and I am wondering if anyone has had any resolution? My car is two weeks old and I noticed when pulling in to the garage that the steering wheel makes almost like a power steering pump noise on every rotation to the left (not to the right) a very slight vibration with a buzz/hum type noise. Thoughts ?.....otherwise the car has been 100% and I don't like stressing about it. My closest dealer is 250 km away.
JV
      09-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
I don't know of any members bringing it in and getting it fixed. I also have a slight rubbing when cranking the wheel in a parking situation, but it doesn't bother me at all, I'm not taking it in for that.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
I don't know of any members bringing it in and getting it fixed. I also have a slight rubbing when cranking the wheel in a parking situation, but it doesn't bother me at all, I'm not taking it in for that.

Danny
Hey Dan:

The way I look at it is my car is my baby and a 54000 dollar one at that. When a noise/feel comes that shouldn't be there, well let's just say I have high expectations ( or some might say just plain old anal)
      09-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

250kms away!!! Wow!

If your car is making unfamiliar, unexpected or non standard noises, it is, in all probability an early warning..... warning.

If the noise/vibrations persists or gets worse, you may have to make that 500km round trip in an effort to fix the problem before it gets worse and stresses you out even more.

No one likes the inconvenience but it is better to be warned early as opposed to a sudden and complete breakdown. For you it seems that a breakdown may entail many hours wait for BMW service car to come to your aid only to then call a tray truck to take it to your dealer.

I know it's annoying BUT......

I hope you sort out your problem quickly so you are back on the road quickly and avert any further deterioration of your problem.

Let us know what happens.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2005, 06:22 PM   #5
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I feel real lucky: not only is the BMW service dept less than 5 miles/8 minutes drive away, but the service rep is unbelievably good -- E90Fleet quality -- at figuring out what the problem is, and what the best, least expensive thing to do about it is. I would call & email your service dept for advice. Then again , we are talking E90 here, so maybe you are the lucky one, getting to go for a 500 km cruise.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVFan
I read a thread here a minute ago about steering wheel noises and I am wondering if anyone has had any resolution? My car is two weeks old and I noticed when pulling in to the garage that the steering wheel makes almost like a power steering pump noise on every rotation to the left (not to the right) a very slight vibration with a buzz/hum type noise. Thoughts ?.....otherwise the car has been 100% and I don't like stressing about it. My closest dealer is 250 km away.
JV
I'm going to take the counter-opinion, and say "don't worry about it". I've often had power steering noises in my cars that are very similar to what you've described, and its never turned out to be anything other than normal. I would keep note of it, and bring it to your dealer's attention the next time you're in Calgary or Edmonton, but there's no need to make a special trip for it. I know I get a similar noise in my grandfather's old Mercedes when I'm at the edge of my turning radius, and even my Porker has slight undulations when the wheel is cocked all to one side. Why this always seems to happen in one direction and not the other I do not know... but it does seem to be the case.

If you're really nervous, I would recommend calling a service department and describing it to them; they may be able to tell you whether it is normal or not.

I know this is your $50k+ baby, but its going to be ok, even if it has its little cholicky moments. Unfortunately, the only way to make sure you have a completely perfect car is to buy a model. Every used automobile will have problems of varying degree... even the $500k+ ones
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #7
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVFan
Hey Dan:

The way I look at it is my car is my baby and a 54000 dollar one at that. When a noise/feel comes that shouldn't be there, well let's just say I have high expectations ( or some might say just plain old anal)
Hey no arguments here! My car is my baby as well. I'm just not as anal when it comes to what I consider minor things is all. I don't expect my car to be perfect, so I can accept little things like this, but there are certainly other things for which I'll try to be first in line to fix. To give you an idea of how anal I am about some things, I have 8 coats of Zaino on my car since taking delivery on 7/30 and I changed the oil at 1300 miles, I use latex gloves at the service station(flame suit on!) to prevent grimy hands that smell like gas from touching my interior, I(and my family) use the exterior door handles to close the doors instead of the b and c-pillars to avoid fingerprints, I use only the interior handle in the trunk to close it to avoid touching the outside of the trunk...I better stop there before you guys think...well you know!

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2005, 06:53 PM   #8
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep

I just called one service manager and he said they have seen it on a couple of complaints but it has to do with the transfer of ps fluid and he said not to worry at all....weird I never noticed it before...maybe conditions were right though....no other noise in the car!
      09-08-2005, 08:59 PM   #9
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Just drove the car again...not sure that it's "normal"....can someone else try cranking the wheel all the way to the left then right in a stationary position ....like in a garage so you can hear/feel the wheel?
      09-09-2005, 03:29 PM   #10
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep

So no sound today?????

Is that what they mean by a German car has "personality". Like I woke up on the wrong side of the bed bitch....