E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Saloon or Coupe?

02-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Saloon or Coupe?

Looking to trade my 320d M Sport saloon in for a 330i. First impulse was to go for another M Sport. But if I went for an SE coupee, I'd get most of what I like about the M Sport, and I'd get fancy features like electric seats. Which is good because I promised myself my next car would have memory seats. But only recently did I discover that not all SE coupes have Sport seats. Can't imagine having a coupe with those awful standard seats!

Any thoughts on whether to go for a saloon or coupe? Main advantage of a coupe I guess is that it looks better. I don't think my budget is going to stretch to a post-LCI saloon, and the 'old' E90 saloon - like the one I've got - is starting to look a bit old now. ALways hated that ugly 'moustache' grill.

But is it worth the extra cash for a coupe? And won't I have trouble putting my 4 year old into a car seat in the back of a coupe? Plus I don't like the SE wheels, the M Sport wheels are all much nicer.

Aghhhh! Dilemma!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

So...

E92 M-Sport?

It's the way forward. To me the car feels much more special than an E90...IMO it's just a much more elegant looking car with the low roof line and "slimmer" back end. I think the coupes come with a higher level of spec as standard too (eg AFAIK all E92 have xenons etc).

Not sure about getting the kids in the back but I convinced the missus the E92 would be fine, it has ISOFIX so it's gotta be right?!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
no_ball
No Fear
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

with a 10 year old and regular visits to the shopping centres and other suchlike limited parking bay areas, the saloon is the practical solution.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
So...

E92 M-Sport?

It's the way forward. To me the car feels much more special than an E90...IMO it's just a much more elegant looking car with the low roof line and "slimmer" back end. I think the coupes come with a higher level of spec as standard too (eg AFAIK all E92 have xenons etc).

Not sure about getting the kids in the back but I convinced the missus the E92 would be fine, it has ISOFIX so it's gotta be right?!

Indeed. Isofix a must. But E92 M Sport? I dunno. Going to have to compromise somewhere, budget wise. I'm not that sure you get much mire for your money, upgrading from an SE coupe to an M Sport. I mean, you get sport suspension, and although it's not standard, most SE coupes have sport seats. Yes the wheels on the M Sport are nicer, and you get that black headliner, which I love. But is it really worth the hike in price?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Only the 335 SE has sports seats as standard, it's an option in all the other engine sizes. Only the 330 and 335 have all electric seats as standard, the 325 has had partial electric since March 2009.

Although the new 19" rims on the m-sport are very nice, the SE had 18" type 189 and 19" type 230 wheels as options and are two of the nicest looking BMW wheels you can get - and they only come with the SE version.

I used to get my kids into the back of a Capri - the E92 is an absolute doddle in comparison. The bigger doors make it more awkward in a tight car park however.

If the headlining colour is a serious obstacle, well, your choice.

Rear seats in the E92 are isofix as standard. New models now allow you to deactivate the passenger front airbag but certainly up to 2009, that was an option that no one took.

I have those awful front seats and I find nothing wrong with them. If I had my chance again I would take the sports seats whilst realising that damage to the bolster side of the standard seat would be worse in the sports seat.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Coupe all day!!!!......everyday!....
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

What are you prepared to spend OP?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Saloon as more practical if you have kids.

Doors are big on the coupe which makes it more hassle parking with 2 kids. I think that is the only downside of the coupe.

A positive for me is being able to get into the car fully whilst strapping my 2 year old in.

Plus i think the coupe looks a bit nicer.

As for SE v M-Sport. M-Sport looks better. I went with SE myself. As the 335 comes with various m-sport tweaks but i miss the extra body trims. SE made sense for me because i could buy a car with a lot more equipment for the budget but can easily add the front aero kit later. Plus i love the 230 wheels on the coupe.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
What are you prepared to spend OP?
Why do you ask? I won't go to £20k.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

No, the headliner is not a deal breaker but I am fond of it.

Didn't mean to be insulting about the 'awful' seats! I like the way the sport seats stop me sliding around, and I have got very used to being able to tilt my seat base.

Oh yeah, the coupe looks miles better than the saloon. Plus you get loads of kit with it.

Yes, wide doors can be inconvenient but I think I'm leaning towards a coupe, it seems more luxurious, and it does look slick.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

has to be a coupe............ the saloons look so bland (99% of them) & blend into the traffic but I cant help but look if a coupe passes the other way

when I bought my e92 I bought it cos I liked the look of it & you often catch others giving the car a second look & I still find my self staring at mine ( especially when its had the porter cable treatment)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

also........... not too big a deal for a family of 4 ( 17 year old & 13 year old)

everyone who has been in the back loves it
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
100% Coupé, it will be a slight compromise with the door thing in carparks but that's something I could easily live with for the sake of a sleeker looking car, I love the lines of the Coupé.

02-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
Burton
Rep
Drives: E92

Coupe all the way. It just looks and feels a little special and the kids love sitting in the back if you can live with 2doors. There is plenty of space in the back and seats fold down as standard to give even more boot room when needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #15
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I have both and a youngster in a baby seat.

We never take the saloon.

Wife daily drives it, including town and supermarket trips.
NEVER an issue with door access. The doors dont need to open so far as they are longer

The coupe is better - you can stand in the back and shut the door when its pissing down too.
Only an issue for fat people and those with dodgy backs - they need to buy an Espace and not hang around on here...

Steve
      02-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #16
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Coupe all the way.

As for the headlining, my 335i is a SE and my headlining is black so it must surely be an option on the car?

I'm a bit lost with the specification of the cars from the factory, but am I correct in saying all E92 335i cars have M sport suspension(unless deleted) M sport seats etc?

If my car has the dark headlining on top of that what else has a M sport got that my SE will not have?

I've got 19" 230 wheels and although slighly biased, I think they suit the car better than any other factory wheel I have seen on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #17
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
OP, the standard seats tilt as well. They just don't have the extending bit at the front - the bit that collects all the dust and dirt when you extend it!

Kerr, you are right, all 335 models have m-sport suspension and sports seats as standard (unless the original owner deleted the m-sport suspension on an SE)

At 335 level in the E92, the difference is the headlining colour, gloss black external trim instead of chrome, different wheels, different front and rear bumpers, a slight side skirt, the black/grey plastic diffuser at the rear, shorter gear knob, slightly chunkier handbrake lever and slightly thicker wheel and //M badges on the wheels, steering wheel, gear knob, and door strips. That's it. And they want £2k for that!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:29 AM   #18
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Hmmmm. Just shows how much I didn't know: so only the 335 models have Sport suspension as standard? Really? I thought all coupes had sport suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:29 AM   #19
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
I have both and a youngster in a baby seat.

We never take the saloon.

Wife daily drives it, including town and supermarket trips.
NEVER an issue with door access. The doors dont need to open so far as they are longer

The coupe is better - you can stand in the back and shut the door when its pissing down too.
Only an issue for fat people and those with dodgy backs - they need to buy an Espace and not hang around on here...

Steve
WHo you calling fat?!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #20
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Coupe all the way.

As for the headlining, my 335i is a SE and my headlining is black so it must surely be an option on the car?
Oh yeah, it's an option, but I don't think many people spec it, most don't even know about it.

On my very first E90 test drive, the salesman out the black headliner as a nice feature of the M SPort and I was thinking, so what? But once you notice it you prefer it to the standard cream colour. It really helps finish off the feel of the interior.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #21
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post

Didn't mean to be insulting about the 'awful' seats! I like the way the sport seats stop me sliding around, and I have got very used to being able to tilt my seat base.

Oh yeah, the coupe looks miles better than the saloon. Plus you get loads of kit with it.

Yes, wide doors can be inconvenient but I think I'm leaning towards a coupe, it seems more luxurious, and it does look slick.

SE saloon with sport or non-sport seats has a tilting base with the full electric seat option. Actually maybe as AlanQS says they tilt regardless of if you have the electric seat option.

Coupe has much longer doors which means more difficult to get in/out if you are in a parking bay. Plus more difficult back seat access. Your kid would probably like saloon better as they get older, so they don't feel trapped in the back seat.

As an FYI I had a coupe M Sport loaner for 3 days and found it quite irritating. I was much happier getting back into a SE saloon.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:17 AM   #22
bounty78
Mike
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M Sport LCI

Garage List
Definitely coupe for me..coupe FTW! This is my second BMW 2 door coupe, had the E93 before this. Personally i feel the M Sport looks better
The coupe turn a lot more heads than the saloon. I wouldn't have gone for BMW if i had wanted a saloon..but having said that the new 2010 LCI saloon with xenon lights looks
Then again, if i have a young family i might do the sensible thing.
Appreciate 0