E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Should I buy?

02-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
pumaboy2000
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d SE auto

Should I buy?

Hi there, am looking for a little advice please?
Am considering the purchase of a 2005 55 plate 320d se auto to replace my current 2.2 TDCi Mondeo. The model I have seen concerns me slightly in the fact that it is 5 years old and has only done 15,500 miles. It is on sale at a main agent franchised dealer, although not BMW.
The other concern is that there are no details in the accompanying books regarding the original vehicle handover, and no service stamps until one that was done by the current dealer.
The car has had 1 owner and will come with an approved vehicle 12 month warranty.
Any advice will be appreciated,
thanks.

Craig
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
The fact it it 5 years old with only 1 service stamp would put me off, regardless of the low mileage. If its only owner has been so lazy/ignorant/cheap as to not service it properly, what else might have been skimped on?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

See the car and do some home work:

- Make sure that the mileage looks genuine - wear/tear, records etc.
- Speak to the dealer, tell him that you are interested if you can sort our a few issues - then give him a list of your concerns and see what he comes back with
- Get the name of the previous owner - try to phone him, or even write to him. I once wrote to a lady ex-owner who was ex-directory. The following day she phoned me and told me that the car had been involved in a bad accident!!
- See if the dealer will let you borrow the key. Go to your nearest BMW dealer and see if he will put it into his key-reader (you might have to be "creative" with the reason for doing this). This may tell you all you want to know

As I see it, one of the problems could be if the mileage IS genuine. Ave of 3k per year in a 163bhp diesel could mean some engine issues. If there is a warranty, then the position is better.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
pumaboy2000
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d SE auto

Thanks for the replies.
Condition of the car I believe would tally with the mileage, no wear on pedals, steering wheel, seat bolsters etc. They are leather so would show any wear more significantly.
What would concern me is that if the car has only been used for the odd trip to the shops etc, the engine would barely be run-in. An engine needs a good blast every now and then to keep in healthy so I was always led to believe.
If I do take the plunge I think I would have a complete service and check over done again to put my mind at rest.
Also I've read a lot about these engines having turbo failure at varying mileages, any other issues I should be wary of or look out for?
Car is being sold with a 12 month warranty. It's for sale at main Skoda agent.
Thanks,

Craig.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

I have heard that the turbo's are good for 150k+. With a years warranty you should be OK. But I would speak to the previous owner if possible. If you are really unsure, get an AA/RAC inspection. These guys do it for a living.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
sabato
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d E90

Mileage is the same as ours so shouldnt be suspect...bought at just over 4 years old with 10k miles..now at over 15k

howver there should be 2 maybe 3 stamps in the book...
the pre delivery stamp
then the 2 and 4 year service...i would have thought as my service book shows.
Noticed that it needs something doing at 17000 accordding to the computer..
Appreciate 0