E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Portland restaurant info

09-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
98005xi
Just a lowly, lowly cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Portland restaurant info

Awhile back, there was some discussion about a few restaurant recommendations in Portland. One of the japanese recommendations had 'toro' in the name. What was that again and is it still one of the better ones in town?

I'm heading out for voodoo right now and Whiffies. thx for the help guys.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
danfom94
"Cesc4"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1990 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98005xi View Post
Awhile back, there was some discussion about a few restaurant recommendations in Portland. One of the japanese recommendations had 'toro' in the name. What was that again and is it still one of the better ones in town?

I'm heading out for voodoo right now and Whiffies. thx for the help guys.
Toro Bravo. and have fun
      09-12-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
mkaaes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C4S

Beast, Clark Lewis, Lé pigeon
      09-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
RDHTran
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i

I don't think toro bravo is a Japanese restaurant. If you want the best Japanese IMO, go to Saburo's near Milwaukie.. and try to salmon skin salad if you do go its my favorite.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
98005xi
Just a lowly, lowly cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfom94 View Post
Toro Bravo. and have fun
Thanks for the Toro Bravo recommendation. Must be a really good restaurant because the wait for 3 nights was over 1 hour! I looked at the website's menu and looks very mouth-watering. I'll have to give it another try next time when we don't go down to Stumptown with our little girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaaes View Post
Beast, Clark Lewis, Lé pigeon
Drove by La Pigeon - heard good things about it. Read up on Yelp about Beast and CL. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtran View Post
I don't think toro bravo is a Japanese restaurant. If you want the best Japanese IMO, go to Saburo's near Milwaukie.. and try to salmon skin salad if you do go its my favorite.
YESSSS Saburo's was the one I couldn't remember! Too bad I was already on the way back home. I'll probably do the to-go next month when I'm back. I just tried to remember the name was like a combo of Saba (mackerel) and toro (fatty tuna belly). I was close, but not close enough (even after searching yelp for japanese restaurants).

I did however get suckered into trying Bamboo Sushi. I'm all for sustainable seafood (Monterey Sustainable Catch), but this place is definitely more style than substance. It's a great looking place, but not enough to warrant a return visit.

Appreciate 0