E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 335i XDrive Msport - wheel and tire questions

01-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
bman5150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport (sold)

2011 335i XDrive Msport - wheel and tire questions

This is my first bmw-just bought it actually. What a great looking and driving car! Anyway, I've read all sorts of horror stories about the RFTs regarding blowouts, etc but ive also come across some people mentioning bent rims. Are these RFTs and wheels extra prone to bent rims? The car has some factory warranty left and is a CPO. The dealer is offering a wheel/tire warranty but it is pricey. I have the msport package rims, which I think look killer. The are offset.

Right now, I have brand new Michelin pilot sport ps2 ZPs on the car. I like them and don't really find them rough or jarring. Are these tires pretty good?

I'm with going to find another set of rims and tires for winter or pull off the current tires and put some Michelin pilot sport a/s RFTs on the stockers and ebay/sell the new Michelins.

Thanks!
      01-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Having had 3 bent rims on a '99 E46 with conventional tires and then 3 BMW's with OEM RFTs but no rim damage, I've come to the conclusion that slowing for - or better yet, steering around - potholes is the most important factor. The other issue is that extremely wide summer performance tires, RFT or not, are more prone to blowouts and wheel issues, so I stick to 45 or greater aspect ratios.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
This is my first bmw-just bought it actually. What a great looking and driving car! Anyway, I've read all sorts of horror stories about the RFTs regarding blowouts, etc but ive also come across some people mentioning bent rims. Are these RFTs and wheels extra prone to bent rims? The car has some factory warranty left and is a CPO. The dealer is offering a wheel/tire warranty but it is pricey. I have the msport package rims, which I think look killer. The are offset.

Right now, I have brand new Michelin pilot sport ps2 ZPs on the car. I like them and don't really find them rough or jarring. Are these tires pretty good?

I'm with going to find another set of rims and tires for winter or pull off the current tires and put some Michelin pilot sport a/s RFTs on the stockers and ebay/sell the new Michelins.

Thanks!

I paid like $500 for my wheel and tire program and it has saved me over $2K. In New England potholes are notorious, even on the highway, and if you hit them at even 30mph you can bend your rim and put a bubble in a RFT.

That was 2.5 years ago, and the wheel and tire protection on my wife's X3 was more like $750-1000. Regardless, it's worth every penny once you have an issue.

I'll never go without it again. I hit a pothole at 45mph, one of those little divots that you just can't see until after you've passed it, and bent the rim and put a huge bubble in my tire. Would have been $975 out of pocket.

Tires you have are good
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
bman5150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport (sold)

Thanks for the replies. So now my plan is to buy 4 identical 193m style wheels and put some RF ultra high performance all season tires on them. For these tires, I would want a non staggered setup, but I'm not sure yet if I should go with 8.5" all around or 8" all around.

My dealer wants $1,150 for the tire and wheel protection package...sure seems like I could buy a few rims and tires for that kind of money.