F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Clear bra question
proTUNING Freaks

09-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i soon

Clear bra question

So I'm contemplating getting a clear bra installed over my white M-Sport bumper. But it's very expensive and I'm still not convinced. I've looked it up and it looks like they pre-cut the film with a laser according to a template, and then install it in place. But because of the nature of the beast the edge of the protection film ends up about 1/16'' from the edge of the paint. I feel like this line is going to be visible and attract a lot of dirt making it even more visible, especially on a white car...

Has anyone done clear bra and can comment on this?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

I haven't done one before, but I've never been a fan. You can always see it even when the car is clean, and I don't like the idea of not being able to seal and wax those areas. I believe you can seal and wax over the clear bra (?) but I'm not 100% certain and still, I don't think I would like it.

I just stay far back from everyone so I don't get rock chips.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1339 View Post
So I'm contemplating getting a clear bra installed over my white M-Sport bumper. But it's very expensive and I'm still not convinced. I've looked it up and it looks like they pre-cut the film with a laser according to a template, and then install it in place. But because of the nature of the beast the edge of the protection film ends up about 1/16'' from the edge of the paint. I feel like this line is going to be visible and attract a lot of dirt making it even more visible, especially on a white car...

Are you trying to do it yourself or have an installer do it? A good installer will wrap the edges around so that you can only notice it at corners. Bumpers are really hard with all the nooks and crannies and it's likely you'll be able to see it if you look close. I have a xpel ultimate full front, which removes the big seam from the hood. People only realize when I tell them and they look up close and feel along the body panel edges.

Taking care of it is slightly tricky when waxing, I haven't found the best solution, as the edge seems to attract wax. I bought some cotton swabs the other day and will see if they can remove the wax with some quick detailer. I'm pretty sure you can polish xpel PPF, but not sure exactly why you would, since it's self healing. I'm learning a lot of this as I go

Keeping a long following distance won't prevent rock chips, just the frequency of them I learned the hard way and have some chips which have been filled in with touch up paint (I can still see them unfortunately), before getting the xpel :facepalm:
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
pwh819
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

I've just had a clear bra put on (at delivery) of my 2013 335i (Mineral Gray) mainly because I live in the upper mid-west and have had my share of stones thrown at the front of my cars. You can barely see the lines on this color but I think that is a color dependent result. My wife has a deep red colored Lexus with a 3M bra that you can always see.

One thing to beware of is what the clear bra will look like after it's been out in the elements for a while. They tell me mine will not discolor over time (5 year warr) whereas my wife's 3M product shows some wear after three years.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwh819 View Post
I've just had a clear bra put on (at delivery) of my 2013 335i (Mineral Gray) mainly because I live in the upper mid-west and have had my share of stones thrown at the front of my cars. You can barely see the lines on this color but I think that is a color dependent result. My wife has a deep red colored Lexus with a 3M bra that you can always see.

One thing to beware of is what the clear bra will look like after it's been out in the elements for a while. They tell me mine will not discolor over time (5 year warr) whereas my wife's 3M product shows some wear after three years.

Good Luck
+1, lots of gravel trucks around here with all the auto steel production. YMMV depending on where you live. The xpel ultimate has a 10 year warranty and will be replaced if discoloration happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

I have mine on too. EBII.

1k includes front and rear window tent.
      09-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
It's the first time that I've put one on my car and won't be the last. One of the best uses of my money.
I put it on my melbourne red F30 16 months ago and its still in perfect condition. I've got the full front bumper, 1/3 bonnet and side mirrors. The 1/3 really makes a difference as I have very few stone chips. It deflects most stones, being across the front 1/3 of the bonnet.
The line across the bonnet is only visible if you look closely. Other than that, it looks pretty clean.

On a white car is a different story. You may want to get a really reputable make with a long 'no-fade' warranty. I've seen a relatively new X6M that looks like the front half of the car was painted cream due to fade.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep

I'll be looking for an installer since the front bumper looks really complex and I've never done something like that before. Not that it can't be learned I supposed but not this time. I was looking at xpel based on internet research. The classic 3M does yellow I've been told. There is the 3M ventureshield that apparently is better. But xpel is the best as far as I can tell. Now that doesn't address the issues with the seam lines around the bumper curves. I understand that some seams can be hidden by wrapping the film around the panels but the bumper doesn't seem to be a place where this would be possible. And the templates apparently do not extend past the edges in any case. I think this is a case of better checking out an installer's work before I commit. $1k is very steep but when you're anal-retentive you gotta pay the price right?

Anyone has recommendations for an outstanding xpel installer in the Philadelphia area? I've been researching Ferrari forums and found a couple (Ferrari owners are understandably very anal lol) but wanted some feedback from the BMW crowd.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

I'm sorry, but I didn't pay anywhere close to $1k for clear bra and tint.

I love it. Seriously, you really have to look close to notice it. There is one spot in a corner on the right bottom (air vent) where it just didn't lay down. But otherwise, it is a great investment. Damn, I hit something and there is total rash on the clear bra. It saved my paint.

If you want me take a photo of a seam or double check the pricing, let me know.

My European Delivery Thread http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807429
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson743 View Post
If you want me take a photo of a seam or double check the pricing, let me know.
Sure why not? Can you take pics of the bumper details if possible? Especially where the bra ends in the intricate nooks of the bumper... Thanks!

Interested in pricing as well, although pricing is very variable and I'm on the east coast.

Which brand of clear bra did you use?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

It is 3M clear bra and tint.

My European Delivery Thread http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807429
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 02:43 AM   #12
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

I'm having mine done which is costing £135, which I thought was really reasonable. 4-5 hours to fit it surprised me though?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #13
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

I was doing my due diligence for a few months before ordering my car so I can chirp in a bit

Quote:

Don't go with a pre-cut film kit. Make sure you use an installer that does a custom install (aka they lay the film over your car and cut it to fit, rolling the extra film over the edges). The only really noticeable places you can tell are near the bottom left and right air ducts on the m-sport bumper (there isn't enough film to fill the whole duct due to the shape). It is so barely noticeable, I'm definitely the only person who will know it's there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
I haven't done one before, but I've never been a fan. You can always see it even when the car is clean, and I don't like the idea of not being able to seal and wax those areas. I believe you can seal and wax over the clear bra (?) but I'm not 100% certain and still, I don't think I would like it.

I just stay far back from everyone so I don't get rock chips.
What's the point of sealing over a car bra anyways? I have no problems with it with >2k miles. You just can't use waxed car soap. Get the clear stuff

Quote:
I'll be looking for an installer since the front bumper looks really complex and I've never done something like that before. Not that it can't be learned I supposed but not this time. I was looking at xpel based on internet research. The classic 3M does yellow I've been told. There is the 3M ventureshield that apparently is better. But xpel is the best as far as I can tell. Now that doesn't address the issues with the seam lines around the bumper curves. I understand that some seams can be hidden by wrapping the film around the panels but the bumper doesn't seem to be a place where this would be possible. And the templates apparently do not extend past the edges in any case. I think this is a case of better checking out an installer's work before I commit. $1k is very steep but when you're anal-retentive you gotta pay the price right?

Anyone has recommendations for an outstanding xpel installer in the Philadelphia area? I've been researching Ferrari forums and found a couple (Ferrari owners are understandably very anal lol) but wanted some feedback from the BMW crowd.
After doing my research on films, the 3M has the worst orange peel. I opted for the xpel ultimate and I'm very satisfied with it. It is self healing, protects the best from what I've seen, and is the longest lasting.

Quote:
Sure why not? Can you take pics of the bumper details if possible? Especially where the bra ends in the intricate nooks of the bumper... Thanks!

Interested in pricing as well, although pricing is very variable and I'm on the east coast.

Which brand of clear bra did you use?
I can take some pics as well... not sure how well I can get them to show edges however.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #14
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
I was doing my due diligence for a few months before ordering my car so I can chirp in a bit

Don't go with a pre-cut film kit. Make sure you use an installer that does a custom install (aka they lay the film over your car and cut it to fit, rolling the extra film over the edges). The only really noticeable places you can tell are near the bottom left and right air ducts on the m-sport bumper (there isn't enough film to fill the whole duct due to the shape). It is so barely noticeable, I'm definitely the only person who will know it's there.

What's the point of sealing over a car bra anyways? I have no problems with it with >2k miles. You just can't use waxed car soap. Get the clear stuff

After doing my research on films, the 3M has the worst orange peel. I opted for the xpel ultimate and I'm very satisfied with it. It is self healing, protects the best from what I've seen, and is the longest lasting.

I can take some pics as well... not sure how well I can get them to show edges however.
Thanks for your post Steve. I'm concerned about a custom install because it necessitates cutting into the paint in certain cases and I definitely don't want that. I found this out when reading the website of one reputable installer. They can do custom but they just warn people that cutting the bra on top of the paint is necessary and this will also slightly cut into the paint job. They said it's not visible because it lines up with the bra edge but it would be visible after taking out the bra. This was really in the interest of full disclosure because they deal with exotics and this is not acceptable to some. Even if not visible I don't like the idea of an aggressive install like this. I know you might say a good installer won't cut into the paint but, I feel that's it's pretty much impossible to tell if the installer is that good before giving him the job.

It looks like Premier is the top choice installer on the West coast but I don't see any on the East coast....

I'm definitely welcoming the idea of posting pics here, thanks!

Last edited by ft1339; 09-27-2013 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your post Steve. I'm concerned about a custom install because it necessitates cutting into the paint in certain cases and I definitely don't want that. I found this out when reading the website of one reputable installer. They can do custom but they just warn people that cutting the bra on top of the paint is necessary and this will also slightly cut into the paint job. They said it's not visible because it lines up with the bra edge but it would be visible after taking out the bra. This was really in the interest of full disclosure because they deal with exotics and this is not acceptable to some. Even if not visible I don't like the idea of an aggressive install like this. I know you might say a good installer won't cut into the paint but, I feel that's it's pretty much impossible to tell if the installer is that good before giving him the job.

It looks like Premier is the top choice installer on the West coast but I don't see any on the East coast....

I'm definitely welcoming the idea of posting pics here, thanks!
If they have to cut into the paint, they're doing it wrong. They should never have to do it... you cut between panels and wrap the film over the edge. Knife should never touch the paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #16
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If they have to cut into the paint, they're doing it wrong. They should never have to do it... you cut between panels and wrap the film over the edge. Knife should never touch the paint.
I know it seems weird but they really do it. Not at the panel edges since they wrap it but whenever the films meets an obstacle and they have to cut the film, they have no choice but to do it. I was reading a lot of forum posts elsewhere and this is pretty much universal for custom installs. You might never take off the bra but if you do, mark my words and take a close look.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #17
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I know it seems weird but they really do it. Not at the panel edges since they wrap it but whenever the films meets an obstacle and they have to cut the film, they have no choice but to do it. I was reading a lot of forum posts elsewhere and this is pretty much universal for custom installs. You might never take off the bra but if you do, mark my words and take a close look.
What obstacles? Mark MY words - if they're cutting on your paint, you have a bad installer.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #18
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What obstacles? Mark MY words - if they're cutting on your paint, you have a bad installer.
Lights, grills, lower grills, plastic trim inserts in the bumper. Anywhere it can't be wrapped around an edge. Did they remove all these for your install? I can't take a chance because I will only know if the installer was good after the facts. You're lucky that your installer is good (or maybe you knew someone he's worked for) but I feel like a custom install is like flipping a coin. I would only trust Premier and they happen to be in SoCal like you, I'm on the right coast though.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #19
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Lights, grills, lower grills, plastic trim inserts in the bumper. Anywhere it can't be wrapped around an edge. Did they remove all these for your install? I can't take a chance because I will only know if the installer was good after the facts. You're lucky that your installer is good (or maybe you knew someone he's worked for) but I feel like a custom install is like flipping a coin. I would only trust Premier and they happen to be in SoCal like you, I'm on the right coast though.
Right... and they don't have to pop all these out because they don't cut into the paint. They cut the film inbetween the seams of, for example, your fender and your hood and wrap the excess over the edges
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #20
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Yes you are completely right. They do have to cut into it when they meet an obstacle or major contour. I was told by all of my potential installers when I was shopping around that this is the case.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #21
sparc
plug
Rep
Drives: e46

I have an AW m-sport with clear bra. It's really hard to notice the seems unless your looking for them. My friends didn't noticed until I mentioned it.

If the installer didn't do a good job dirt might get attracted to the seams because the bra is lifting, not sticking around the edges.

I selected the pre-cut for the front bumper, head lights, side view mirrors. Custom clear bra'ed the entire hood. the pre-cut for the hood didn't go up far enough to offer protection where it's really needed.

Installers mentioned they took the grill and other pieces like the tow hook cover to tuck the bra in.

I use optimum spray wax on the bra

A pic of my car with the clear bra. cant tell it's there.

BMW F30 by kiu101, on Flickr
      10-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparc View Post
I have an AW m-sport with clear bra. It's really hard to notice the seems unless your looking for them. My friends didn't noticed until I mentioned it.

If the installer didn't do a good job dirt might get attracted to the seams because the bra is lifting, not sticking around the edges.

I selected the pre-cut for the front bumper, head lights, side view mirrors. Custom clear bra'ed the entire hood. the pre-cut for the hood didn't go up far enough to offer protection where it's really needed.

Installers mentioned they took the grill and other pieces like the tow hook cover to tuck the bra in.

I use optimum spray wax on the bra
Nice... LOL you went to some fancy car photo studio? I see you're into photography... That makes 2 of us. Your car looks sick (well just like mine). What brand of bra did you use and how much did you pay? If the bra was precut then how could they tuck it in the grill and other openings? I thought pre-cut was stopping short of any opening. Looks like they went the extra mile, of course you're on the west coast so I'm not about to find a good installer here in Philadelphia.

Right now I have 2 offers, 1 from a reputable installer in the area for a 3M scotchguard bra that is reasonable and the other from a Porsche dealership for an Xpel Ultimate that is very expensive (twice as much). Not many xpel installers in the area..... They both do pre-cuts from templates.

I would be tempted to go with the 3M but my car is white and I'm concerned about yellowing and even the installer concedes that this can happen although there is a 5 year warranty against yellowing on material and labor....

Don't know what to do.....

Last edited by ft1339; 10-03-2013 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0