BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #45
M3PGH
Lieutenant
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh,PA

Posts: 480
iTrader: (0)

I have owned both
2008 E92 M3
2010 GTR and owned multiple other cars
currently drive F10 M5
they are different cars in two different leagues. Bottom line GTR is a super car, the M3 is not. Performance wise GTR wins in every way and still comfortable to DD. M3 is great DD and great car for spirited driving. Best Advice is do what I do: try them all if you can, every car company have a different approach and different twist on building cars which I find very enjoyable to experience.
M3PGH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #46
FASTMTREE
New Member
 
FASTMTREE's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 BLK/WHT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
Well boys and girls, I have a decision to make next year! Either buy the new M3 or get the 2013 used GTR. The M3s numbers seems way to weak for 80k but I really like the way it looks. I am sure I will tune the shit out of it but... I can buy a used 2013 GTR and spend about 17k to upgrade turbos etc and get about 700+ HPs and mid 600 torque. I have one issue, GTR is a bit ugly or is it me? I normally don't post about stuff like this but I am torn.... I for once want to get a bang for my money but can't get over how freaking boxy the GTR looks.
As the current owner of GTR with AMS Alpha 9 upgrade and 2009 E93 M3 I say you should buy both.

Just kidding. From my past experience I had the first 335i coupe back in 07 when it first came out and I had a lot of problems. I wouldn't buy a car in its first year production.

Last edited by FASTMTREE; 03-27-2013 at 12:32 AM.
FASTMTREE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #47
Andy0323
Private
 
Drives: Evo X
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: OC

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

1. Practicality? Are you going to use the rear seats?
The GTR's rear seats are suitable for small children, pets, and midget hookers only. Due to the rear transfercase and gas tank, any living or dead entity longer/higher than 5 ft will not fit back there. I had my legs chopped off and my skull houses a flat top from my boss' GTR.

2. Balance or straight performance? I think this is self explanatory... The GTR is a wolf in sheep's clothing, more specifically, a supercar in Nissan clothing. The interior is pretty bland, however the performance justifies the price imo. I also read the GTR's service fees are outrageous. The BMW is more balanced all-around... looks great inside and out, performs great, and comfortable at the same time. Not to mention... you can fit full-sized hookers in the back.
Andy0323 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #48
FASTMTREE
New Member
 
FASTMTREE's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 BLK/WHT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0323 View Post
1. Practicality? Are you going to use the rear seats?
The GTR's rear seats are suitable for small children, pets, and midget hookers only. Due to the rear transfercase and gas tank, any living or dead entity longer/higher than 5 ft will not fit back there. I had my legs chopped off and my skull houses a flat top from my boss' GTR.

2. Balance or straight performance? I think this is self explanatory... The GTR is a wolf in sheep's clothing, more specifically, a supercar in Nissan clothing. The interior is pretty bland, however the performance justifies the price imo. I also read the GTR's service fees are outrageous. The BMW is more balanced all-around... looks great inside and out, performs great, and comfortable at the same time. Not to mention... you can fit full-sized hookers in the back.
Dude you forgot the back-seat action permissible with M4 if OP decides to buy a coupe. I still like the idea of i6 Bi turbo but the 07 335i Coupe I had was a piece and I'd wait until the M4 is in its second year production. BMW does so well with its M3 M4 lineup I doubt they are coming out with a super car any time soon.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the GTR is not going to change the body style anytime soon. I've spent mad money on both exterior and heavy engine mods.

I get no back seat action at all in my F430 Scuderia. I wouldn't wants it anyways. I am married with a pimp as pad.
FASTMTREE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #49
Sam335ix
Major
 
Sam335ix's Avatar
 
Drives: 335 ix performance edition
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Redskin Country

Posts: 1,276
iTrader: (0)

Well... Things have changed a bit. I might be able to get my hands on a great deal for a new M5 euro delivery... The question is, this year or next since I am doing extensive work in my backyard that are going to eat up alot of my play money Priorities, I tell you... lol
__________________
2011 e90 KW V1, JB4, BMS Dp, BMS Intake, CP, Alpina Flash, ISO, E85

Coming soon to the garage: 2014 M3 Maybe M5
Sam335ix is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #50
anthonyrap
Private First Class
 
Drives: bmw m3 competition package
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: connecticut

Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

Just so you know, a 2013 GTR with downpipe, midpipe, exhaust, intakes , and software on 93 octane will make close to 600 hp and mid 500's torque to the wheels on a dynojet.

Speed by design makes a kit with everything stated above and also comes with fuel pumps, injectors, & software for around $5000 ..

Those hp figures will bring the gtr down the 1/4 mile in about 10.5 seconds and get you from 0 to 60 in 2.6 seconds.. theres nothing else out there that can put down those numbers for that price with minimal mods.
anthonyrap is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #51
buildbright
Captain
 
buildbright's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i BMW F30 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 907
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyrap View Post
Just so you know, a 2013 GTR with downpipe, midpipe, exhaust, intakes , and software on 93 octane will make close to 600 hp and mid 500's torque to the wheels on a dynojet.

Speed by design makes a kit with everything stated above and also comes with fuel pumps, injectors, & software for around $5000 ..

Those hp figures will bring the gtr down the 1/4 mile in about 10.5 seconds and get you from 0 to 60 in 2.6 seconds.. theres nothing else out there that can put down those numbers for that price with minimal mods.
Ahhhhem... The 54k shelby GT500 can over 700hp and run 9's for $2,500 to $3000 in mods. It has been documented 2 or three times so far. ZO6 can do Low 10's for 2k or less.
buildbright is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #52
P-TownM3
Lieutenant
 
P-TownM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 550i M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Posts: 465
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to P-TownM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Ahhhhem... The 54k shelby GT500 can over 700hp and run 9's for $2,500 to $3000 in mods. It has been documented 2 or three times so far. ZO6 can do Low 10's for 2k or less.
yes...but good luck on matching 0-60 or quarter mile without serious racing slicks and a heavy duty clutch.....the Shelby cannot get off the line like a street prepped GTR can.
__________________
2013 F10 550i M-Sport | Space Gray | ZMP | ZEC | 6MT | Dinan Stage 3 ECU Tune | Dinan Exhaust | ACS Springs

***Ordered*** 2015 ///M3 | Silverstone/Black Merino | Black 19's | M-DCT | Adaptive M Suspension | Exec | HK
P-TownM3 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #53
buildbright
Captain
 
buildbright's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i BMW F30 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 907
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Town550i View Post
yes...but good luck on matching 0-60 or quarter mile without serious racing slicks and a heavy duty clutch.....the Shelby cannot get off the line like a street prepped GTR can.
Correct the Shelby is not AWD so it can not leave the line as hard but it will get pulled. On the tire debate I have seen a stock Z06 run high 10's on run flats. From a roll both cars will leave the GTR. The GTR is a great car but it's not an unbeatable monster. There are many cars that can be had cheaper and tuned to run faster. Also when you brake the Corvette or Mustang you can afford to fix it.
buildbright is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #54
P-TownM3
Lieutenant
 
P-TownM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 550i M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Posts: 465
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to P-TownM3
Dont forget.....the GTR can be a monster when tuned. I would race any Shelby or Corvette in a 1000+hp AWD GTR....
__________________
2013 F10 550i M-Sport | Space Gray | ZMP | ZEC | 6MT | Dinan Stage 3 ECU Tune | Dinan Exhaust | ACS Springs

***Ordered*** 2015 ///M3 | Silverstone/Black Merino | Black 19's | M-DCT | Adaptive M Suspension | Exec | HK
P-TownM3 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #55
buildbright
Captain
 
buildbright's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i BMW F30 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 907
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Town550i View Post
Dont forget.....the GTR can be a monster when tuned. I would race any Shelby or Corvette in a 1000+hp AWD GTR....
Any Corvette? Like the twin turbo ones that win King of Street in Texas? The ones that pull 1000hp GTR's? You got to get off the GTR cloud. It's a great car and one of the fastest street cars available but it's not unbeatable. If I was spending that much money to build a 1000hp GTR. I am buying a twin turbo Galardo or R8. Both eat AMS alphas for lunch, yum.
buildbright is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #56
P-TownM3
Lieutenant
 
P-TownM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 550i M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Posts: 465
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to P-TownM3
hmmmm.......


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5zD3nlnDZM
__________________
2013 F10 550i M-Sport | Space Gray | ZMP | ZEC | 6MT | Dinan Stage 3 ECU Tune | Dinan Exhaust | ACS Springs

***Ordered*** 2015 ///M3 | Silverstone/Black Merino | Black 19's | M-DCT | Adaptive M Suspension | Exec | HK
P-TownM3 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #57
STiGuy33
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: VT

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Do you really have enough information on the upcoming M3/M4 to make an informed decision? Although there is a lot of speculation and conjecture you might want to wait for some solid information and imagery before you decide which is right for you.
STiGuy33 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST