Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-11-2022, 08:40 PM   #1
pw455
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT Nardo Grey

GTS MDM mode initial delay

I had the GTS MDM mode coded on my 2018 M3 a few months back along with GTS differential and steering. Overall the GTS mode is an improvement over the standard MDM mode but it's overly intrusive for the first 1/2 second or so before it finally lets the car go.

The initial delay feels almost like standard DSC mode and seems to cut power which I find really annoying. After the initial intrusion it lets the car slide and it's really good from there.

Has anybody else noticed this and is there a way to code it out or make it less intrusive?

thanks,
Pete
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 05:45 AM   #2
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

I didn't really notice any difference in MDM when switching to Euro in the GTS flash. In Euro MDM mode it still interrupts power when you're in the middle of a power slide which kind of makes you look like a fool.
If I want the car to slide and give me the most power, I just put DSC to inactive.
      12-13-2022, 10:34 AM   #3
pw455
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT Nardo Grey

When you say it interrupts power in the middle of the slide, is it right in the beginning just after it breaks traction?

It's strange since the standard MDM mode worked OK and was smooth but didn't let it slide as far as I wanted. It seems like the GTS MDM kicks in harder and earlier in the slide than the standard MDM but then opens up after that first intrusion.

I tried DSC off a few times and it gets out of hand pretty fast. I just need to find a good place to practice.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 05:12 PM   #4
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw455 View Post
When you say it interrupts power in the middle of the slide, is it right in the beginning just after it breaks traction?

It's strange since the standard MDM mode worked OK and was smooth but didn't let it slide as far as I wanted. It seems like the GTS MDM kicks in harder and earlier in the slide than the standard MDM but then opens up after that first intrusion.

I tried DSC off a few times and it gets out of hand pretty fast. I just need to find a good place to practice.
Unfortunately MDM mode still intervenes as dynamic stability control IS still active and its whole purpose is to prevent the car from spinning around. I would get familiar with the cars characteristics and limits and suggest turning everything off. It's much more fun. When I use MDM mode, I expect it to intervene and cut power at times.
I'm in the same boat as you though, I wish it were more dialed in to slip more and I noticed barely any change when going US to EURO MDM. Some of that may be the GTS differential coding though.