ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-16-2021, 07:47 PM   #23
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondJayRoM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic17 View Post
Hey guys, the relatively new driver here. I'm 18 and I got the wonderful privilege to get my hands on an M4 which is coming in a week or two (now before you go for my throat here, I am responsible and won't do any stupid shit on a public road). Now how can I prevent wheel spin as much as possible on this RWD monster? I live in a suburb by Dallas so winter and snow aren't really an issue and the roads aren't too bad. Your input would be very much appreciated!
I never fully turn off traction control on the streets. Car is mainly in MDM mode unless I'm on a track. Allows for some wheel spin but like everyone else said smooth inputs in steering and gas especially when correcting. This goes with all vehicles, not just this car. One last thing: lift-off oversteer is a b…..
Was going to say..

Lift off oversteer is the real animal in the room. I lost it myself and ended up in a wall with lift off oversteer.

It's a brutal beast, and it's very very hard to catch even by seasoned veterans.

I would urge OP to be very very careful, i learned my lesson.
I track with all the nannies off and lift off oversteer is so easy to get in trouble with. The key is to lift gradually if at all. The correct steering inputs with throttle maintenance to keep the weight off the nose and you can catch it more often than not. I've only spun 4 times on the track, all from excessive speed, too much input, and panic lift-off oversteer. Learning just the right amount of throttle and counter-steer is a must if you want to push this car. I don't remember the last time I did a fast lap without some kind of counter-steering to catch the rear.

Lots of fun though, that feeling of a 4 wheel slide into a perfect slip angle as you apply full throttle on corner exit is extremely satisfying.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 07:50 PM   #24
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys, the relatively new driver here. I'm 18 and I got the wonderful privilege to get my hands on an M4 which is coming in a week or two (now before you go for my throat here, I am responsible and won't do any stupid shit on a public road). Now how can I prevent wheel spin as much as possible on this RWD monster? I live in a suburb by Dallas so winter and snow aren't really an issue and the roads aren't too bad. Your input would be very much appreciated!
I never fully turn off traction control on the streets. Car is mainly in MDM mode unless I'm on a track. Allows for some wheel spin but like everyone else said smooth inputs in steering and gas especially when correcting. This goes with all vehicles, not just this car. One last thing: lift-off oversteer is a b…..
Was going to say..

Lift off oversteer is the real animal in the room. I lost it myself and ended up in a wall with lift off oversteer.

It's a brutal beast, and it's very very hard to catch even by seasoned veterans.

I track with all the nannies off and lift off oversteer is so easy to get in trouble with. The key is to lift gradually if at all. The correct steering inputs with throttle maintenance to keep the weight off the nose and you can catch it more often than not. I've only spun 4 times on the track, all from excessive speed, too much input, and panic lift-off oversteer. Learning just the right amount of throttle and counter-steer is a must if you want to push this car. I don't remember the last time I did a fast lap without some kind of counter-steering to catch the rear.

Lots of fun though, that feeling of a 4 wheel slide into a perfect slip angle as you apply full throttle on corner exit is extremely satisfying.
Yes, i think even with experience upsetting the car with any lift off will get you in trouble.

For me it was panic that set in as i was mid corner at the limits with not enough space to correct much. I paniced. At that point it was way too late, my shoulder almost came clean off with the way the steering wheel jolted.

you can enter a corner hard, you can give too much exiting a corner. What you don't want is to realize mid corner approaching apex that you are too hot into it and freak out and lift.

It all happened so fast for me but it's something i will always remember
Appreciate 1
jmg18879.50
      12-16-2021, 07:55 PM   #25
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Was going to say..

Yes, i think even with experience upsetting the car with any lift off will get you in trouble.

For me it was panic that set in as i was mid corner at the limits with not enough space to correct much. I paniced. At that point it was way too late, my shoulder almost came clean off with the way the steering wheel jolted.

you can enter a corner hard, you can give too much exiting a corner. What you don't want is to realize mid corner approaching apex that you are too hot into it and freak out and lift.

It all happened so fast for me but it's something i will always remember
Lol same thing happened to me. I took a corner at 100 mph that I was working up to from about 90 mph. I misjudged, had too much speed and turned in way to early and had no track left on the other side. Panicked and the tail went one way, then whipped hard the other way. I tried to correct but there's no recovery when all 4 tires have lost traction. It's just hold on and hope you don't flip over hitting the dirt sideways at high speed. Luckily I had scrubbed a lot of speed sliding back and forth across the tarmac, so it didn't flip.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 08:07 PM   #26
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

^
Adding to the conversation, I was focused chasing a car and slowly turned in late after a 130 mph curve and realized I missed the apex curbing. Straight line braked down to 60-80mph and went off track in the wet grass and rode it out without spinning, was not easy. Then found a way back on track.
It can be Fck’ing sketchy!

Revaluation: don’t become fixated on chasing a car! Make sure you are driving the track.

Last edited by Suds; 12-16-2021 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 08:17 PM   #27
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 xDrive

EMBRACE THE CHAOS

I'm kidding - get high quality tires (PS4S, R888R, etc) and don't hold the traction control button to turn DSC fully off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jmg18879.50
      12-16-2021, 08:29 PM   #28
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
^
Adding to the conversation, I was focused chasing a car and slowly turned in late after a 130 mph curve and realized I missed the apex curbing. Straight line braked down to 60-80mph and went off track in the wet grass and rode it out without spinning, was not easy. Then found a way back on track.
It can be Fck’ing sketchy!
Sometimes that's all you can do, straight line brake right into the runoff, I've done that as well. Unfortunately for me, I managed to do more damage trying to get BACK ON the track rather than flying off the track. I cracked my CS front lip, a $2k part, hitting a bit of the tarmac that was raised where it met the runoff.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 08:31 PM   #29
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseH234 View Post
EMBRACE THE CHAOS

I'm kidding - get high quality tires (PS4S, R888R, etc) and don't hold the traction control button to turn DSC fully off.
PS4S are the best road tires IMHO, but the general consensus around the pits are that the R888R are garbage. Toyo did an excellent job of marketing those, but they are awful.

Your tailights are sick!

Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 08:31 PM   #30
sonic17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseH234 View Post
[SIZE="5"]EMBRACE THE CHAOS[/SIZE]

The gts taillights are beautiful, totally gonna get those done on mine
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 08:40 PM   #31
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 xDrive

Quote:
PS4S are the best road tires IMHO, but the general consensus around the pits are that the R888R are garbage. Toyo did an excellent job of marketing those, but they are awful.

Your tailights are sick!
Dang, I didn't know that! I've only ever heard good things about R888Rs.. however I can't quite put my finger on where I've heard them. Maybe I've fallen for the marketing schemes lol

I have 295/20/30 PS4S and think they're great! Also thanks, I do love those taillights
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 07:42 AM   #32
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Cup 2 Connect (240). The new generation cup 2 has bridged the gap with the PS4S in terms of much better tread wear. If you live in a mild climate (no snow or freezing temps), this is the way to go.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 07:18 AM   #33
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:

Your tailights are sick!
R888R have been known to be garbage soon after they were released roughly 15 years or so and people still don’t know? In the track forum, there’s always a new member that lists out their track setup starting with brakes, suspension…and with R888R. NO!!! You try to explain it to them but they won’t listen. Well, first track day they end up with an off caused by a tire that just lacks grip and consistency. Then they say, oh you guys weren’t kidding about the R888R. The last thing the OP needs is a set of R888R to learn how to control the throttle without wheel spin especially in a corner!

OP - a lot of people have given you good advice but I’ll repeat it. Do not mash the throttle and, instead, just slowly roll into the throttle, keep DSC ON AND MDM OFF, and did I say respect the throttle? You’ll realize a f8x is an easy car to drive as a DD. IMO, it’s the best DD of any of the M generations. You’re going to love your car even more with more seat time. Enjoy and stay safe!

Last edited by M3SQRD; 05-07-2024 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
jmg18879.50