European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

09-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #419
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
It is part of the VO coding for US spec cars, so it comes that way from the factory. People who do ED already have this decoded when they pick their car at the Welt.
Hahah, thanks man. That was my other question since I pickup in less than 2 weeks. Hopefully Tom @ EAS can code this back in for me when I get the car stateside.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #420
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
That would be great!
Here it comes, I trim the video just to show the best clip I found, it is very clear how great the system works
      09-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #421
shadowyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY F82 MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Here it comes, I trim the video just to show the best clip I found, it is very clear how great the system works
I think it blinded two cars at 9 sec mark
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #422
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowyman View Post
I think it blinded two cars at 9 sec mark
Maybe for a sec, who cares.....lol
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #423
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Maybe for a sec, who cares.....lol
You have to understand that shadowyman is as OCD about this feature as anybody else around here: I am ready to bet that he watched your video a few times in slow motion

So let me reassure him as he waits for his car to make its way through the ocean that the reaction of the lights at the 9 seconds mark looks a bit slow to me too: the one at the 26 seconds mark is more typical.
      09-04-2015, 12:22 AM   #424
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You have to understand that shadowyman is as OCD about this feature as anybody else around here: I am ready to bet that he watched your video a few times in slow motion

So let me reassure him as he waits for his car to make its way through the ocean that the reaction of the lights at the 9 seconds mark looks a bit slow to me too: the one at the 26 seconds mark is more typical.
LOL
Name:  1340853659.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  7.8 KB
      09-07-2015, 11:19 PM   #425
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Finalizing my order. I've read this entire thread, and I still have one question. To enable this do we need the drivers assistance package, or just the LED's with the high beam assist?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 07:42 AM   #426
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
Finalizing my order. I've read this entire thread, and I still have one question. To enable this do we need the drivers assistance package, or just the LED's with the high beam assist?
Just the adaptive LEDs and the high beam assist.
      09-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #427
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Just the adaptive LEDs and the high beam assist.
Sweet, TY
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #428
The1JAZ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I agree. Adaptive lighting coding is very cool.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:51 PM   #429
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

BMW has slightly tweaked some of the settings relating to No-Glare High Beams (NGHB) on recent-production ECE cars. I have updated the "How To" to reflect these changes.

If you enabled NGHB based on the previous version of the How To, updating your settings requires modifying the Werte values of the three functions indicated by an asterisk in the attached PDF.

I tested the new settings over the past two nights: the changes are subtle, yet IMO worthwhile (at least, if you can code the changes yourself). They basically improve on the effect of Step 3 by further reducing the darker central area in the light pattern with the full high beams on and by further smoothing the transitions between the different modes of the high beams. I also noticed that the tunnel starts a bit closer to the preceding car.

As with the previous revision, it would be interesting to hear what other people think.

Edit: See this post for an easy and error-proof way of coding this.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf NGHB How To_v3.pdf (271.6 KB, 4658 views)

Last edited by dmnc02; 12-12-2015 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 8
      09-12-2015, 12:24 AM   #430
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
BMW has slightly tweaked some of the settings relating to No-Glare High Beams (NGHB) on recent-production ECE cars. I have updated the "How To" to reflect these changes.

If you enabled NGHB based on the previous version of the How To, updating your settings requires modifying the Werte values of the three functions indicated by an asterisk in the attached PDF.

I tested the new settings over the past two nights: the changes are subtle, yet IMO worthwhile (at least, if you can code the changes yourself). They basically improve on the effect of Step 3 by further reducing the darker central area in the light pattern with the full high beams on and by further smoothing the transitions between the different modes of the high beams. I also noticed that the tunnel starts a bit closer to the preceding car.

As with the previous revision, it would be interesting to hear what other people think.
tom @ eas You can do this coding?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 02:49 AM   #431
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Thanks for the update will adjust the 3*'s tonight
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #432
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
When I compared OneRib's FEM_BODY CAFD to mine, there were a few obvious differences due to the different options on our cars (type of transmission, Driver Assistance package, etc.), but there were also some differences affecting the lights I could not explain. They were the following (Left is OneRib, Right is mine):

EM_FEMODE_0x81_PW_SHORTDROP_INH Left: nicht_aktiv (not active) = 00 Right: aktiv (Active) = 01
EM_FLAMODE_0x81_PW_SHORTDROP_INH Left: nicht_aktiv (not active) = 00 Right: aktiv (Active) = 01
MAPPING_PARKL_V_L_DEPENDENCY_FUNC Left: Unknown (UNKNOWN) = 04 Right: tagfahrlicht (daytime running light) = 03

When he changed them to match the values on my car, no-glare HBA started working. I think the issue is with the second of the three parameters above (although I asked him to code all three of them at the same time to avoid going back and forth).
Ok, I finally did the comparison with the above settings as well as the newly added Step 3 coding. The latter I will comment on when I do some testing.....not sure if that will be tonight or tomorrow evening.

Regarding the former, however, my settings were identical to OneRib 's settings. All were set to "nicht activ" "00". Which is odd, as my NGHBA was working fine. However, I did change them to match yours. Between the new Step 3 codings and changing my above settings to match yours, we'll see if there is any noticeable differences.

Out of all the coding one can do (that has been published in the cheat sheets anyway) this definitely has the most steps or entries one has to modify, but it really shouldn't put anyone off. It's not difficult as long as you use search and are meticulous about checking, double checking and triple checking your entries.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #433
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
Ok, I finally did the comparison with the above settings as well as the newly added Step 3 coding. The latter I will comment on when I do some testing.....not sure if that will be tonight or tomorrow evening.

Regarding the former, however, my settings were identical to OneRib 's settings. All were set to "nicht activ" "00". Which is odd, as my NGHBA was working fine. However, I did change them to match yours. Between the new Step 3 codings and changing my above settings to match yours, we'll see if there is any noticeable differences.

Out of all the coding one can do (that has been published in the cheat sheets anyway) this definitely has the most steps or entries one has to modify, but it really shouldn't put anyone off. It's not difficult as long as you use search and are meticulous about checking, double checking and triple checking your entries.
Thanks for checking. Based on this, it remains a bit of a mystery why OneRib was initially having trouble getting NGHB to work. As long as NGHB still works on your car, any difference you notice should be due to the new Step 3 codings: I am looking forward to your impressions.

BTW, it looks like activating NGHB is going to be even messier on the F30/F31 LCI models, as BMW has changed the LED control units. Luckily, this does not seem to affect the F80.
      09-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #434
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Thanks for the update will adjust the 3*'s tonight
Please post your impressions if you notice any difference.
      09-12-2015, 02:31 PM   #435
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I'll be making these changes as well tomorrow and get back with my impressions.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 09:14 PM   #436
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Please post your impressions if you notice any difference.
Coded it this morning after work.

1st Impression: Keep in mind it was raining( light) , foggy(light) and the roads had no standing water. I drove on 2 lane back roads( Hills, Curves) then at highway speeds in Vermont () with light to moderate traffic.

The system appears to be a bit more active in a positive way in producing tunnels on oncoming and behind cars as you approach. I couldn't tell if the dark spot behind the car as you approach has changed. However, I also think the system was also varying light output better.. as in you could tell there where more lights being actively dimmed and projected.

However, there is a major improvement in the center fill when full high beams are on.

I am planning on driving again tomorrow night and will update.

Side note: I had my car in for service last Thursday and I noticed my system now has LCI Headlight options for the F30 variants, then a specific headlight option for the LED lights as used in the F8X and 4 series plus Xenon and Halogen.

I am curious to see if the new LCI headlights out perform the ones as used in the M3/M4 and 4 series and if the LCI headlights in the LCI 4 series will be an improvement on those.

Maybe we will have BMW LED 2.0 sans laser light, but tided into the Sat-Nav

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 09-12-2015 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #437
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:

Thanks for continuing to work on refining this feature. I was driving home tonight and still love how the lights move. I'll be updating either today or tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #438
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Coded it this morning after work.

1st Impression: Keep in mind it was raining( light) , foggy(light) and the roads had no standing water. I drove on 2 lane back roads( Hills, Curves) then at highway speeds in Vermont () with light to moderate traffic.

The system appears to be a bit more active in a positive way in producing tunnels on oncoming and behind cars as you approach. I couldn't tell if the dark spot behind the car as you approach has changed. However, I also think the system was also varying light output better.. as in you could tell there where more lights being actively dimmed and projected.

However, there is a major improvement in the center fill when full high beams are on.

I am planning on driving again tomorrow night and will update.

Side note: I had my car in for service last Thursday and I noticed my system now has LCI Headlight options for the F30 variants, then a specific headlight option for the LED lights as used in the F8X and 4 series plus Xenon and Halogen.

I am curious to see if the new LCI headlights out perform the ones as used in the M3/M4 and 4 series and if the LCI headlights in the LCI 4 series will be an improvement on those.

Maybe we will have BMW LED 2.0 sans laser light, but tided into the Sat-Nav
I agree that the better center fill with the full high beams off is the most noticeable improvement. Since the center fill (or, more generally, a lack of uniformity in the lighting pattern) and the falses caused by traffic signs are, as far as I am concerned, the main areas were improvement would be desirable, BMW appears to be moving in the right direction.

As for the new LEDs on the LCI F30 and F31, unless we get feedback from somebody outside of North America, we will need to figure out the coding first in order to know how they perform. There are no longer LHM and TMS modules in those cars, replaced by new Frontal Light Electronics (FLE) ECUs.
      09-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #439
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
Thanks for continuing to work on refining this feature. I was driving home tonight and still love how the lights move. I'll be updating either today or tomorrow.
Luckily, it is BMW who is at work to refine the feature: I just have to check from time to time if the factory settings on Euro cars have changed.
      09-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #440
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Luckily, it is BMW who is at work to refine the feature: I just have to check from time to time if the factory settings on Euro cars have changed.
Still counts in my book.
Appreciate 1