ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

06-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
marrk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pinto

The Official Baby/Infant/Child Car Seat Pictures Thread

Hi, All:

I found that a lot of guys out there buying a M are actually family guys since the M makes for an awesome but practical family daily driver.

But one topic I've seen come up is how a car seat will fit in the back, so I figured I'd start a thread to help those in the hunt for a car seat that fits well in the back seat.

Not the most exciting thread but I hope it's helpful. I'll start off with my set up...

I have a M3 and I'm rocking a Peg Perego 4 35 rear facing car seat in the center position in the back seat. I found that it fits just fine and I'm able to move the front seats back enough to allow a good amount of space in the front. I can also carry to normal sized adults in the back seats comfortably. Overall I found this car seat to be the smallest safest car seat that fits and it's also one of the most sporty looking ones, lol.

Appreciate 4
Simple1133.50
      06-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

My 27" Dell UltraSharp monitor cannot handle your images @ 5,312px × 2,988px...
Appreciate 3
      06-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
TurboAL47
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M4 / X5

Garage List
Nice! I have a Recaro Performance Ride toddler seat using the bottom latch and top tether on the rear passenger side of my M4. Have the same seat but different color in my X5 for the last 2 years and love it. I'm using Lion Heart liners in both but had to separate the top from the bottom cover the contact points with the seat.

This used to be rear facing in my e92 but the M4 definitely has more space in the back even with it forward facing. Plenty of room to recline and move back when sitting shotgun.

'22 G82 M4 - Individual Marina Bay Blue 6MT | MBB G82 Ongoing Build Thread
'21 AW G05 X5 xDrive40i MSport

'15 SS/SO F82 - M4 - SOLD| Industry City Shoot
'08 AW E92 - 335xi - SOLD[/b] | Mods and Photoshoot
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
JenWil
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Gray M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboAL47 View Post
Nice! I have a Recaro Performance Ride toddler seat using the bottom latch and top tether on the rear passenger side of my M4. Have the same seat but different color in my X5 for the last 2 years and love it. I'm using Lion Heart liners in both but had to separate the top from the bottom cover the contact points with the seat.

This used to be rear facing in my e92 but the M4 definitely has more space in the back even with it forward facing. Plenty of room to recline and move back when sitting shotgun.
Would you be able to post a pic of that? We have Recaro seats for our toddler and I'm wondering how this will be LOL...I'm tempted to say no toddlers in the car, but that's just not realistic LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Anybody know what the "Improved Child Seat Handling" changes are for 2016? I'm thinking/hoping that there is a hole between the rear seat and headrest so that you don't have to pull your latch over the top of the headrest.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
VDBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB F82

I was about to ask... did you photoshop your baby in that last picture cause theres no way that little guy can fit in there...

then after looking at it again for a good 5 minutes I finally realized thats a mirror. lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
marrk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDBimmer View Post
I was about to ask... did you photoshop your baby in that last picture cause theres no way that little guy can fit in there...

then after looking at it again for a good 5 minutes I finally realized thats a mirror. lol.
lol, too funny
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #8
TurboAL47
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M4 / X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenWil View Post
Would you be able to post a pic of that? We have Recaro seats for our toddler and I'm wondering how this will be LOL...I'm tempted to say no toddlers in the car, but that's just not realistic LOL
i will take a pic this weekend. at the moment i just have a picture of the seat outside of the car. i held off on buying another seat just for the m4 but it gives us freedom to use either car as well as plans for the future. the first time my kid rode in the seat she fell asleep to and from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post
Anybody know what the "Improved Child Seat Handling" changes are for 2016? I'm thinking/hoping that there is a hole between the rear seat and headrest so that you don't have to pull your latch over the top of the headrest.
that would be awesome. the top tether is pulling down on the headrest at the moment but worth the extra security in my opinion.

'22 G82 M4 - Individual Marina Bay Blue 6MT | MBB G82 Ongoing Build Thread
'21 AW G05 X5 xDrive40i MSport

'15 SS/SO F82 - M4 - SOLD| Industry City Shoot
'08 AW E92 - 335xi - SOLD[/b] | Mods and Photoshoot
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

My kid 3.5yo can fall asleep with the windows down music up and driving 100mph on the highway. The other is an infant, mom does most of the work there.
Great family car, it really is, sports car with 4 doors cant beat it large trunk

06-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

FYI...........you can not use the latch system in the middle of BMWs......This information is from car seat gurus Look it up.....Does that mean it cant work answer is no but is it optimal No. I prefer the seatbelt anyhow I can get it a lot tighter and it feels more solid to me. That only the latch system you can use the seat belt
      06-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #11
Matt_B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
FYI...........you can not use the latch system in the middle of BMWs......This information is from car seat gurus Look it up.....Does that mean it cant work answer is no but is it optimal No. I prefer the seatbelt anyhow I can get it a lot tighter and it feels more solid to me. That only the latch system you can use the seat belt
Can you use LATCH in the middle of any car? Every car I've owned has specified they're for outboard seats only.

I too prefer seatbelts no matter where I'm putting the seat, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #12
marrk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post

Old pic. I realized that after my cousin who does car seat inspections told me the same thing. Although it passed the specs in terms of tightness, movement, etc, he noted that using the center latches have not been tested on the center seats therefore not recommended. I have since switched it but oddly I found that the latches to be more secure/tight.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
OrangeD1sco
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Also posted some pics and experience in this thread:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...light=car+seat

Here is my setup again though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #14
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeD1sco View Post
Also posted some pics and experience in this thread:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...light=car+seat

Here is my setup again though.
We need the car carrier for the infant so that seat would be a pain taking her in and out.

Im ghetto so when the kid turns around 1 I face them forward, the best thing no, but I have faith it will work just fine
      06-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #15
TAL2GK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Coupe, 2017 911

Excellent thread (although the pictures are showing up as HUGE in the first post). I'm looking M4, but F83 so hopefully easier to get in/out with the top down.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #16
Gsv77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

We roll in two Recaro Vivo high back boosters. Told my wife I needed to go from an e92 to an f80 to fit all 3 kids in back. Turns out only two really fit but what's done is done 😜.

The seat belts are buried in the seats, tried to get 3 inch rigid extenders but they only have 5" and 7" for our cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #17
psuwcc112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 coupe

No brave m4 owner with child seat?

2015 F82 YMB M4 (Feb 28th ED, re-deliveried on Apr 18th) |My 2015 YMB M4 ED Journal
2008 E92 SSII M3 Coupe (Sold) | My long gone 2008 E92 SSII M3
2002 E39 SG 530i (Gone)
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #18
mud hen medic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 Toyota Celica GTS

Great thread idea. Hope to see more people post their setups so that I'll know exactly which one to use when I order my F80.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:46 PM   #19
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Any pics in f82s?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #20
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrk View Post
Hi, All:

I found that a lot of guys out there buying a M are actually family guys since the M makes for an awesome but practical family daily driver.

But one topic I've seen come up is how a car seat will fit in the back, so I figured I'd start a thread to help those in the hunt for a car seat that fits well in the back seat.

Not the most exciting thread but I hope it's helpful. I'll start off with my set up...

I have a M3 and I'm rocking a Peg Perego 4 35 rear facing car seat in the center position in the back seat. I found that it fits just fine and I'm able to move the front seats back enough to allow a good amount of space in the front. I can also carry to normal sized adults in the back seats comfortably. Overall I found this car seat to be the smallest safest car seat that fits and it's also one of the most sporty looking ones, lol.
I have a feeling that SO/reds will be his favorite color...he won't know why, just a hunch!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #21
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

OK here's my setup...3 kids aged 3, 6, 9 and all fit.

Sun kids child seat in awesome pink (get comments all the time) held in by seatbelt and upper latch for the 3 y.o. The flower pattern adds 2 HP, and 1.8 TQ.

Graco booster seat in middle held in by latch system for the 6 y.o. and she just uses seatbelt. (this particular booster secures using the inner latchs for the 2 outer seats). This is where the back seat driver of the family perches herself and loves to report to me when she "thinks daddy is speeding"....never happens...

The 9 y.o. sits on the closest seat and gets full use of the seat heater for every trip, even when its 80+ degrees out...I had to buy a seatbelt latch extender from amazon so that she can get to her buckle which is otherwise situated under the booster in the middle, it works great and has stopped any and all whining related to not being able to buckle up.

All in all family of 5 fits comfortably, even on long trips. Plenty of legroom, and an adult still fits in the spot where there is no child seat if necessary. Also have the weather tech floor mats. They are great and slip right in over the stock mats in back.

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 06-06-2015 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #22
dngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '98 M3/4 TiAg, '15 M3 SO

Garage List
1998 BMW M3/4  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Two kids, just about 3 and 5. The younger one is in a Recaro Performance Sport seat, the older in a Recaro Performance Booster. Both are secured with LATCH but of course the booster is only secured for when my daughter is not in it. The main issue I had with the Recaro Performance Sport seat is that the LATCH belt is a single belt that goes across the back of the seat and it is maybe 2" too short to easily get both connectors to latch. I got it in with a lot of swearing (though not as much as when I put it in the back of a GT-R.)

The back of the high back booster is just at the point where the headrest starts to interfere. I am going to look into swapping out that seat back with one from a regular F30, with no integrated headrest. Hopefully I have a couple of years before my daughter gets tall enough for that to be a problem. I like the high back booster since it keeps my daughter in about the right position for the seatbelt. When she gets tired she tends to slump to one side, which puts the belt in a dangerous position.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0