R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-22-2015, 08:10 PM   #45
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611 View Post
So consensus is what, these are worth buying with no amp add on or very little difference compared to HK sub?
No consensus. Only that adding an amp will give you the more bass than just a speaker swap. Take advantage of the return policy. It really is no risk. Also Bavsound seems to make most of there customers happy.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #46
emfo
Rep
Drives: TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
No consensus. Only that adding an amp will give you the more bass than just a speaker swap. Take advantage of the return policy. It really is no risk. Also Bavsound seems to make most of there customers happy.
But Bimmertech doesn't work for HK right?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 09:24 PM   #47
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfo View Post
But Bimmertech doesn't work for HK right?
Correct
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #48
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I just placed an order. Could not pass up the deal. Plus the details these guys included indicating the sound will be much improved using the stock HK amp is comforting. The return policy plus the reputation these guys have is good enough for me to order.

$377 OTD for plug n play works for me!

Edit: I forgot to elaborate where the extra 5% off came from. That really helped push me over the top. If you are a BMW CCA member you can get the info on the BMW CCA vendor page after logging in.
      09-23-2015, 06:16 AM   #49
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi
I just placed an order. Could not pass up the deal. Plus the details these guys included indicating the sound will be much improved using the stock HK amp is comforting. The return policy plus the reputation these guys have is good enough for me to order.

Edit: I forgot to elaborate where the extra 5% off came from. That really helped push me over the top. If you are a BMW CCA member you can get the info on the BMW CCA vendor page after logging in.
Do you have the stage one speakers from BAV as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #50
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611
Quote:

Do you have the stage one speakers from BAV as well?
I have not purchased the stage 1 speakers. I don't get my car for another 29 days. So I want to see how the woofer upgrade improves the sound before making a decision on those.
      09-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #51
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
I have stage 1. I preordered the Bavsound subs. Originally I had planned on going with MusicarNW but he didn't respond to multiple emails regarding the purchase so his loss. I will let you know how the sound changes. Likely more power will be needed for the real oomph, but I don't trust anyone in New Orleans with wiring at this point.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #52
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
I have stage 1. I preordered the Bavsound subs. Originally I had planned on going with MusicarNW but he didn't respond to multiple emails regarding the purchase so his loss. I will let you know how the sound changes. Likely more power will be needed for the real oomph, but I don't trust anyone in New Orleans with wiring at this point.
Unfortunately that seems to be typical of musicarNW. Business must be booming
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #53
Xerxes480
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

I have been extremely happy with the Stage 1 upgrade, and the cost of entry for the plug-n-play subs was reasonably low - so I'm willing to give it a shot.

-X-
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #54
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes480
I have been extremely happy with the Stage 1 upgrade, and the cost of entry for the plug-n-play subs was reasonably low - so I'm willing to give it a shot.

-X-
What settings do you have your EQ on? I have Stage 1 and I keep messing with the EQ. I'll probably do a final tune once the subs are in.
      09-25-2015, 12:26 AM   #55
OldPueblo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f80 M3 Monte Carlo Blue & X5M

I got in on the Sub pre-order so pulled the trigger on the Stage 1! I am hoping to do the speaker install myself....hope its not as hard as Bitchn Man told me On their "install instructional video" it looks supper easy!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #56
Bounty
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 C6 Corvette 3LZ

BavSound website states these Ghost Subwoofers come with an included amp...either separate from the speakers themselves or included in an enclosure which utilize factory harnesses according to their Ghost Subwoofer FAQs page. Lots of people advising to "add an amp" to maximize the BavSound Subwoofer output but don't they come with one already?

Anyone have any details?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #57
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty
BavSound website states these Ghost Subwoofers come with an included amp...either separate from the speakers themselves or included in an enclosure which utilize factory harnesses according to their Ghost Subwoofer FAQs page. Lots of people advising to "add an amp" to maximize the BavSound Subwoofer output but don't they come with one already?

Anyone have any details?
I did not notice that when I placed my order. Going to take a closer look now...
      09-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #58
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty

Anyone have any details?
I did not notice that when I placed my order. Going to take a closer look now...
I just read the FAQ and an email I received from Bavsound. I don't see any mention of an amp being included with the woofers. The closest I could find is this:

Extremely efficient design & power utilization -- We utilize your factory amplifier to generate amazing bass response in your BMW. To do so, we've designed our woofers using technologies like oversized neodymium magnets and lightweight poly cone to maximize every watt of power they generate and translate that into raw output.

That means amazing bass response without replacing your amplifier.

Upgradable design with 100W RMS / 200W Peak Power Handling Per Woofer -- Even though our woofers are designed to be extremely efficient to maximize the output of your factory amplifier, they're also built for upgradability, you can power them with an aftermarket amplifier of your choice up to 100W per channel.
      09-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #59
Bounty
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 C6 Corvette 3LZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
I just read the FAQ and an email I received from Bavsound. I don't see any mention of an amp being included with the woofers. The closest I could find is this:

Extremely efficient design & power utilization -- We utilize your factory amplifier to generate amazing bass response in your BMW. To do so, we've designed our woofers using technologies like oversized neodymium magnets and lightweight poly cone to maximize every watt of power they generate and translate that into raw output.

That means amazing bass response without replacing your amplifier.

Upgradable design with 100W RMS / 200W Peak Power Handling Per Woofer -- Even though our woofers are designed to be extremely efficient to maximize the output of your factory amplifier, they're also built for upgradability, you can power them with an aftermarket amplifier of your choice up to 100W per channel.
This was the item I was referring to from their FAQ on the Ghost SubWoofers:

How is the Ghost Subwoofer System powered? Does it run off the factory amplifier?

Every Ghost Subwoofer System includes our incredibly powerful BAVSOUND 250W (RMS) Class G Amplifier. This amp is either integrated directly into the enclosure itself or included as a separate unit which is installed in your trunk. Using the included wiring harness, we'll tap into the factory audio system to provide the audio signal for the included BAVSOUND amplifier.

If you click on the "Buy Now" link referenced above in this thread this particular FAQ is located in the bottom right. Maybe it is in reference to all the Ghost SubWoofers except the F8X versions?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #60
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I would be shocked if an amp were included in the <$400 price.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #61
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty View Post
This was the item I was referring to from their FAQ on the Ghost SubWoofers:

How is the Ghost Subwoofer System powered? Does it run off the factory amplifier?

Every Ghost Subwoofer System includes our incredibly powerful BAVSOUND 250W (RMS) Class G Amplifier. This amp is either integrated directly into the enclosure itself or included as a separate unit which is installed in your trunk. Using the included wiring harness, we'll tap into the factory audio system to provide the audio signal for the included BAVSOUND amplifier.

If you click on the "Buy Now" link referenced above in this thread this particular FAQ is located in the bottom right. Maybe it is in reference to all the Ghost SubWoofers except the F8X versions?
I think it is separate from the other ghost subwoofers. It's a website clarification issue. Underseat subwoofers for F8x are not powered by a bavsound amp.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #62
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah
I would be shocked if an amp were included in the <$400 price.
Funny pun there W. :
      09-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #63
Xerxes480
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
What settings do you have your EQ on? I have Stage 1 and I keep messing with the EQ. I'll probably do a final tune once the subs are in.
Sorry, I just saw this.

I started with 3ers settings posted here: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1108557

And after listening to various types of music I found these to be dead on for my ears. I found that altering the EQ too much in any direction caused the sound to seem distorted by the amp. Likewise with the overall bass and treble levels. I'm hoping these subs will give the low end the extra boost I'm craving, especially at highway speeds. I don't need "booming" bass - I just want to hear it better over road noise.

-X-
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 02:19 AM   #64
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes480 View Post
I found that altering the EQ too much in any direction caused the sound to seem distorted by the amp.
Yup, I've found the same. I've had EQs in pretty much every car I've owned in the last 20 years, and I find the HK EQ to be a strange beast. Bavsound S1 was too bright/harsh on my ears for me; and I just couldn't EQ it out. Tuning down 2k and 5k eliminated the harshness, but it sounded lifeless. I ended up attenuating the S1 tweeters with a more elaborate crossover network that had a jumper for a -6db attenuation setting to give me the sound I was looking for.

I have a 10" JL sub, but I still rely on the under-seat subs for all but the deepest bass response. I've ordered the Bavsound subs. I'm skeptical that they'll make a big difference, but that's what the return policy is for. I'm hoping they tighten up the somewhat "soggy" drum hits and midbass response. I can let the JL handle more bass to fix it, but after years of "trunk bass" I appreciate having more direct bass in the cabin.

I do have the ability to route an external amp to them too thanks to Technic's harness. It will be really interesting to see how they perform by themselves when powered by a third party amp. No matter how good the driver is, there are probably limits to how the under-seat "enclosures" perform. Looking forward to finding out in November/December.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #65
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

Does the HK and HI-FI have the same subs or different?

If this was used with the HK system, would the upgrade be a huge increase (Like 3db) or is it just expected to be minimal?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #66
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon
Does the HK and HI-FI have the same subs or different?

If this was used with the HK system, would the upgrade be a huge increase (Like 3db) or is it just expected to be minimal?
I'll let you know the difference when I find out.

Guess I'll have to wait a little longer tho.......

I have HK
Attached Images

Appreciate 0