R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

05-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
M4LF
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

M4 European Delivery ORDER DISASTER, worse purchase experience EVER!!!

Ok guys, the worse has happened.

I ordered an M4 for ED a month ago. Everything done over the phone (dealer an hour away), I gave them my credit card deposit, they ran the card, and said ED date has been confirmed for beginning of June. They used one of their allocations but didn't give me an order number. Then a week ago I got anxious when my original sales guy said he no longer works there so handing my order over to someone else.

I immediately came into the dealership and was given the actual purchase order (waiver/ insurance/ etc) to sign. I was a bit worried since I'm thinking shouldn't I have signed this a month ago. I didn't say anything since they said everything was cool here's your production number have a great trip. That was last week.

In the meantime I booked planes, hotels, and trains for the two weeks that we would be in Europe. Yesterday I called BMW NA to reserve a plant tour for next month. After giving them my production they told me to call my sales guys there's an issue. I gave him a call and he said he's working on it will get back to me.

Just now he called saying they can't make the June delivery, won't be until July. I'm like NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

My worse nightmare has come true. Anyways I told him how disappointed I was since I ordered this a month ago and I've already booked my entire two weeks vacation. Not to mention changing my whole work schedule for this. He said he's going back to his GM to see what they can do. Anyways they are working on it but man what a let down.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
okroger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: plugged in

sorry to hear of this disaster man.
i've just recently went through a dealership f'ing nightmare as well, so can relate on the incompetence of those we expect to make the experience amazing.

i hope whatever they can offer you is of some consolation
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
That IS very unfortunate. I'm so sorry that happened to you :/

I'm not sure what happened, and you should find out what the issue is. Was it due to production delays, or is it due to them not really having an allocation until recently and it was actually a different production week slot?

I will say that this has happened to others in the past, where there was an issue with the car being delivered on-time to an ED customer and what BMW did was simply issue them a loaner F8x for while they were in Europe...full delivery and everything. Similarly spec'd, ect...just not THEIR car...lol.

The actual completed car was then shipped to the States.

There is a thread around here, complete with pics.

All is not lost for your trip, you could have something that works out similar to that scenario.

Best of luck!

My European Delivery Thread

Last edited by Bluex; 05-06-2015 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 3
      05-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mso4 View Post
Ok guys, the worse has happened.

I ordered an M4 for ED a month ago. Everything done over the phone (dealer an hour away), I gave them my credit card deposit, they ran the card, and said ED date has been confirmed for beginning of June. They used one of their allocations but didn't give me an order number. Then a week ago I got anxious when my original sales guy said he no longer works there so handing my order over to someone else.

I immediately came into the dealership and was given the actual purchase order (waiver/ insurance/ etc) to sign. I was a bit worried since I'm thinking shouldn't I have signed this a month ago. I didn't say anything since they said everything was cool here's your production number have a great trip. That was last week.

In the meantime I booked planes, hotels, and trains for the two weeks that we would be in Europe. Yesterday I called BMW NA to reserve a plant tour for next month. After giving them my production they told me to call my sales guys there's an issue. I gave him a call and he said he's working on it will get back to me.

Just now he called saying they can't make the June delivery, won't be until July. I'm like NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

My worse nightmare has come true. Anyways I told him how disappointed I was since I ordered this a month ago and I've already booked my entire two weeks vacation. Not to mention changing my whole work schedule for this. He said he's going back to his GM to see what they can do. Anyways they are working on it but man what a let down.
Ouch, that is the worst. So BMWNA sent you a confirmation email to confirm that one of your 3 dates was selected and now it turns out it wasn't?

I waited until I got my ED package in the mail from BMWNA and my welcome email to book everything in June.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Did you book your trip prior to BMW confirming a date?

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

Wow, which dealership royally dropped the ball on this one? I'd be a tad furious; just a tad.

I thought I had it bad having to be without a car for two weeks because my car didn't get on a boat in time. That was nothing compared to this.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
M4LF
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post

I'm not sure what happened, and you should find out what the issue is. Was it due to production delays, or is it due to them not really having an allocation until recently and it was actually a different production week slot?

I will say that this has happened to others in the past, where there was an issue with the car being delivered on-time to an ED customer and what BMW did was simply issue them a loaner F8x for while they were in Europe...full delivery and everything. Similarly spec'd, ect...just not THEIR car...lol.

Best of luck!
When I first ordered the car in the beginning of April, they said they would use one of their allocations for my order. When I stopped by their dealer last week (after original sales guy got fired) the purchase order had a production number. But I thought it's weird that they didn't have me sign that purchase order a month ago when I first ordered. The new sales guy seems to imply that the purchase order was never sent in. Today I was just yelling at him so I didn't ask him for more details. He said he would bring it back to the GM.

I wouldn't mind if BMW can provide me with a F8x loaner. That would be awesome thanks for the heads up I'll see if I can get that. I'll look for that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Ouch, that is the worst. So BMWNA sent you a confirmation email to confirm that one of your 3 dates was selected and now it turns out it wasn't?

I waited until I got my ED package in the mail from BMWNA and my welcome email to book everything in June.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Did you book your trip prior to BMW confirming a date?
I did book my trip without a BMW confirmation. I still don't have a BMW confirmation email or regular mail. Although after visiting the dealership last week now I can see my car being in the system (BMW website) just not in production.

When I first ordered the car the salesman wanted one ED pickup date and also the drop off date/location. I thought it was weird since most wanted 3 dates. Now that I think about it he was just an idiot. Then he asked for my passport and $1000 deposit. He said I'll get a confirmation in 2 weeks. By week three he said maybe just another week we used one of our allocation you should be fine book your trip. But he cannot give me a production number. Beginning of week four I got on his case and that's when he told me he no longer works there.

In hindsight I should have come into the dealership that way I would have known he's an idiot and insist to working with someone else. But in 20 years buying cars I never seen them this incompetent.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #8
skier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
I did book my trip without a BMW confirmation.
Why would you make travel arrangements without BMW confirming delivery date?
      05-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #9
Just Drive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Rollerblade (2 pairs)

Quote:

The actual completed car was then shipped to the States.

There is a thread around here, complete with pics.

All is not lost for your trip, you could have something that works out similar to that scenario.

Best of luck!
That actually sounds good. Take that car to the track and drive it with no fucks given.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #10
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
Why would you make travel arrangements without BMW confirming delivery date?
my thoughts exactly. I was going to say maybe BMW (or dealer) owed you the costs to rebook etc, but given the fact you booked without a confirmation its kinda sorta totally your fault.

frustrating nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
M4LF
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
Wow, which dealership royally dropped the ball on this one? I'd be a tad furious; just a tad.
Santa Monica BMW. My salesman was Zak Gourri, but he's been fired. Apparently he's only been with SMBMW for 5 months and used to work at Audi of Downtown LA.

I just spoke with BMW NA. Apparently the scheduled production date is May 17th. Weird but this morning they told me the car can't be delivered until July.

Last edited by M4LF; 05-07-2015 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #12
M4LF
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
my thoughts exactly. I was going to say maybe BMW (or dealer) owed you the costs to rebook etc, but given the fact you booked without a confirmation its kinda sorta totally your fault.

frustrating nonetheless.
Yes some of it my fault. I'm still more frustrated by the fact that they missed a delivery date 2 months out after promising me a delivery date. The fact that they forgot to turn in the purchase order until last week. And besides, I heard so much on the forum that the bmw confirmation is not that reliable. Some people get it a week later, some a month later, and that having a production number is most important. And I was able to confirm a production number before I book the trip.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #13
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

You know what. I understand you want to shoulder some fault, but you put your trust in a reputable company. To me, that should have been suffice after they took your money. I know this type of issue is not uncommon, but integrity is just lost in this world. Sucks man.

Quote:
Yes some of it my fault. I'm still more frustrated by the fact that they missed a delivery date 2 months out after promising me a delivery date. The fact that they forgot to turn in the purchase order until last week. And besides, I heard so much on the forum that the bmw confirmation is not that reliable. Some people get it a week later, some a month later, and that having a production number is most important. And I was able to confirm a production number before I book the trip.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #14
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Here is one example of someone getting an ED loaner. There is also another whole delivery thread as well, pictures and everything.....

From what I recall, he was pretty thrilled as he could really push the car, unlike if it was his own

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ight=Ed+loaner

Incidentally, the whole "purchase order" thing you mention really isn't quite the indicator that you think it is. You say that in hindsight you think it should have been put in much earlier....but truthfully my dealership put that stuff in about 6 weeks from delivery. They put the ORDER in far before that document that you recently signed that has bolded "Purchase Order" on the front. That's the packet they send in that has all the insurance info, passports, and drop off location.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #15
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

I agree with Bluex , you will likely be given a loaner while you are on the trip. Worst case it may not be an F8xx, but I'm sure they will be able to find one from the press fleet. I would be furious, but it will likely work out just fine in the end. Maybe the GM will make some additional concessions to sweeten the deal.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #16
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
I understand the problem with the original SA, etc., but I don't understand how the dealer is responsible to compensate OP because he made all the plans for the ED without any confirmation of ED delivery from BMW. Seems like that is on the OP
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #17
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
You are getting the whole process confused and are also confusing Production Number and purchase order. Confirming that you have a Production Number only means that BMW has your order. It does not set or imply a scheduled production date. BMW schedules the production date - not the dealer. A dealer cannot promise a delivery date until they have a production date.

Obviously a communication problem going on - dealer should have better communicated the process to you so you could be better equipped to understand the ED process and when you could schedule your trip.

Hope it all works out for you
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #18
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I'm curious to see how this one unfolds. Sounds like a disaster from the start. Not to say ordering via phone is bad. I'm a Sales Manager at a dealership and I take orders via phone, but all documents are confirmed via fax/email. Most importantly, our newer sales associates are not able to confirm orders via phone or email. Procedures are in place for a reason here.

Bottom line, while it sounds like you potentially jumped the gun, you were also dealing with the wrong representative from the dealership. If the order was put in at your time of purchase would you have had the car for your trip?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #19
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:
Santa Monica BMW. My salesman was *******, but he's been fired. Apparently he's only been with SMBMW for 5 months and used to work at Audi of Downtown LA.

I just spoke with BMW NA. Apparently the scheduled production date is May 17th. Weird but this morning they told me the car can't be delivered until July.
Friendly advice, you might want to rethink posting his real name. If you can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that this was all his fault he could sue you for defamation. It won't be long before his next potential employer googles his name and this thread pops up.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015

Last edited by golovko; 05-06-2015 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #20
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

What was your original pickup date, if you don't mind? there are some blackout dates in June, there is a private event at the Welt.

The way the process is supposed to work, is first your dealer has you fill in a paper with your desired date, and three alternate dates. BMW then confirms one of them, hopefully, and only then do you book your flights and hotels.

If you've skipped part of this process then the CA didn't do his job properly IMO.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #21
bigsid05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 MG/SO M4

Quote:
Yea, echoing the post above, this is ABSOLUTELY NOT how it works with ED. Your CA submits three dates that you prefer and BMW confirms one of them. Your CA will know this as soon as BMW confirms (usually within a few days). The dealership then has to submit a bit of paperwork to make sure the order goes through (copy of your passport, etc.) - this is when most people should receive their confirmation emails. After that it's on BMW to make sure the car is ready for the big day. I think it's extremely rare for BMW to miss an ED delivery date, and I'm sure they'd do everything in their power to make it right if they somehow did.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #22
M4LF
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
You know what. I understand you want to shoulder some fault, but you put your trust in a reputable company. To me, that should have been suffice after they took your money. I know this type of issue is not uncommon, but integrity is just lost in this world. Sucks man.
I typically don't put trust in anyone. And I'm a believer in Murphy's Law. It still sucks none the less when it happens.

Quote:
Here is one example of someone getting an ED loaner. There is also another whole delivery thread as well, pictures and everything.....

From what I recall, he was pretty thrilled as he could really push the car, unlike if it was his own

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ight=Ed+loaner

Incidentally, the whole "purchase order" thing you mention really isn't quite the indicator that you think it is. You say that in hindsight you think it should have been put in much earlier....but truthfully my dealership put that stuff in about 6 weeks from delivery. They put the ORDER in far before that document that you recently signed that has bolded "Purchase Order" on the front. That's the packet they send in that has all the insurance info, passports, and drop off location.
Thanks for the post. I was searching a while ago but couldn't find anything.

You're right about the purchase order. I spoke with another dealer. The PO doe not need to be signed right away. Sometime a few weeks down the road. The key is for the salesman to followup with BMW in case they need additional information. If they don't respond BMW just let the order sit there. Sounds like my order was neglected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
I agree with Bluex , you will likely be given a loaner while you are on the trip. Worst case it may not be an F8xx, but I'm sure they will be able to find one from the press fleet. I would be furious, but it will likely work out just fine in the end. Maybe the GM will make some additional concessions to sweeten the deal.
That would be nice. And I plan to make the most out of this trip. The worst scenario is that I get a rental car. I'll even stop by the Welt. I wonder if they'll let me do a plant tour.

Heck this is such a first world problem. BMW can't build my M4 in time so I can drive around Europe for two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
You are getting the whole process confused and are also confusing Production Number and purchase order. Confirming that you have a Production Number only means that BMW has your order. It does not set or imply a scheduled production date. BMW schedules the production date - not the dealer. A dealer cannot promise a delivery date until they have a production date.

Obviously a communication problem going on - dealer should have better communicated the process to you so you could be better equipped to understand the ED process and when you could schedule your trip.

Hope it all works out for you
That's good to know. Thanks for the clarification. I hope everything works out too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch View Post
I'm curious to see how this one unfolds. Sounds like a disaster from the start. Not to say ordering via phone is bad. I'm a Sales Manager at a dealership and I take orders via phone, but all documents are confirmed via fax/email. Most importantly, our newer sales associates are not able to confirm orders via phone or email. Procedures are in place for a reason here.

Bottom line, while it sounds like you potentially jumped the gun, you were also dealing with the wrong representative from the dealership. If the order was put in at your time of purchase would you have had the car for your trip?
I did confirm my order, credit application, and deposit via email and fax with an inexperience salesman.

You also make a great point that many people may not appreciate when they go through a lengthy european delivery purchase order. So many things has to go right and people including myself forget about that while trying to save some money. At the time of my purchase, I had two other dealers who would have done a much better job but their prices were $500 higher. In retrospect I would gladly pay that money to make sure my order went thru. I was a cheapskate and I paid the price. I'm glad there are sales professionals like yourself out there. Sometimes getting the best deal isn't the cheapest deal. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
What was your original pickup date, if you don't mind? there are some blackout dates in June, there is a private event at the Welt.

The way the process is supposed to work, is first your dealer has you fill in a paper with your desired date, and three alternate dates. BMW then confirms one of them, hopefully, and only then do you book your flights and hotels.

If you've skipped part of this process then the CA didn't do his job properly IMO.
My salesman only wanted one date even though I said shouldn't I give you three. I do know that June 4 is a holiday, and June 8-June 11 the Welt is closed.

Last edited by M4LF; 05-07-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0