Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

06-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
wazzza
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80x M3C

Garage List
What do you do between 112 and delivery?

Ok so my order has been in 112 since about 7 days, and it already feels like I have waited an eternity. What did everyone else do/is doing to lessen the pain, apart from calling BMW NA three times a day and bugging the SA all the time?

How did you spend/are you spending the 8-10 weeks?

(First world problems, I know).
      06-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsavized
Ok so my order has been in 112 since about 7 days, and it already feels like I have waited an eternity. What did everyone else do/is doing to lessen the pain, apart from calling BMW NA three times a day and bugging the SA all the time?

I placed my "order" in October, put a deposit down in mid December, got an allocation in mid-January, and took delivery in Munich on May 13th. You'll be fine

But to answer your question directly, I simply spent the time researching my trip and all the details needed to be attended to.

Hang tight, your wait will be over soon enough.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
I placed my "order" in October, put a deposit down in mid December, got an allocation in mid-January, and took delivery in Munich on May 13th. You'll be fine

But to answer your question directly, I simply spent the time researching my trip and all the details needed to be attended to.

How do you put an order in and then the deposit later? I thought the deposit happens at the time of the order? Don't see the point of a deposit later. And how do you put an order in with no allocation?

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918
Quote:

How do you put an order in and then the deposit later? I thought the deposit happens at the time of the order? Don't see the point of a deposit later. And how do you put an order in with no allocation?
That's why I put the word order in quotes.

It's not an order till you have an allocation/production number. But my build was put into the system in October.

As far as why I didn't need to put a deposit down initially, that's one of the reasons I love my dealership as much as I do (to this point). Never any pressure for that until allocation time, and never a credit run until 2 weeks or so before my delivery.

Little things, sure....but they made a difference to me.

Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
abnorM4l
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsavized View Post

Pick up a good thick book
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Also, dsm918 , for ED it was all about timing. I could only travel in May, and I didn't want to go to status 111 until January, otherwise it would have been way too early. Order needed to go in around January to have just enough time and account for potential delays. I'd rather have that money in my account than Ottos, even if it was only a few months.

In retrospect I wouldn't handle anything differently as my delivery went without a hitch.

Maybe I would have pushed final finance papers signed and money down till the last second (10 days before) instead of the 3 weeks before that I did. My first payment came up way fast. Next time I wait till the last minute.

Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Buy mods, obviously...
      06-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #8
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4ZING View Post
Buy mods, obviously...
This is how I will cope lol
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
jasnh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Atlantis Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4ZING View Post
Buy mods, obviously...
      06-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #10
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
I was only in 112 for 2 days before turning 150 -however I was 111 for a month. (Special order/individual)

In hindsight- it wasn't that bad as long as you know it's going to start any day now. Spent a lot of time on the forum, especially here in the m3/m4 forums since there were a lot more people going through the ordering process than at the m6 side

The real torture/fun is when you go 150...then all that you knew of a good nights rest is no longer true
      06-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #11
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's why I put the word order in quotes.

It's not an order till you have an allocation/production number. But my build was put into the system in October
This would totally shatter some of the folks on here if they read this, the ones who are over excited about being placed in the "System"

Quote:
Maybe I would have pushed final finance papers signed and money down till the last second (10 days before) instead of the 3 weeks before that I did. My first payment came up way fast. Next time I wait till the last minute.
I'll be surely hitting you up with some questions closer to payment time thanks for all your feedback. Much appreciated

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #12
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
This would totally shatter some of the folks on here if they read this, the ones who are over excited about being placed in the "System"
Lol, who am I to piss in their cheerios?

For the most part, it's just a matter of semantics, and this distinction won't mean a damned thing for the majority of buyers. Most will put their "orders" in, without an allocation, but those allocations WILL come in and the orders will be placed and delivered....Nobody will be the wiser, right?

The ones that need to know this distinction are the ones that post in November: "Hey, I put my order in on September 14th, and I still can't track my car on the BMW website or phone number. I don't think I have a production number, and I keep trying to call my CA and he's not giving me a direct answer. But I know I put a deposit down in September!"

The thing is (goes off on a little rant) the BMW allocation system for M's messes with the sane, rational, logical human being. The normal car buyer thinks:

"Hey, I want an M....I think i'll go in to a dealership, hammer out a deal, put a deposit down and my car will be ordered"

This is logical thinking, right? A consumer wants something. Consumer puts money down and expects to be able to immediately start the process immediately and "buy" it. But the way BMW does their allocation process, that completely messes with our heads and the majority of consumers just don't get it.

And to make it worse, most dealerships are very hesitant to explain it....especially the dealerships that do not have an allocation:

"Ok, we can start that order for your new M3...but please keep in mind, the order isn't actually placed till we get an allocation for you. I'm sorry, we have none available at this time. We should get some next month, but honestly, we're not sure how many exactly. Oh, and you should know, we have 2 buyers in front of you that have already put deposits down. So, if we only get 2 allocations next month, you may be pushed out for a little while."

I doubt many dealers are that upfront. Why? Because they know the vast majority of buyers want their car yesterday...and if one dealership can't provide it, they will go to another that can. Lost sale. Do not give too much information, because too much info can translate into lost profits. Just tell 'em enough to keep them there and plunk down that deposit.

In this age of extremely educated buyers, this benefits the dealerships. Think about it, we know almost everything in terms of buying these cars. Not just invoice on the cars, but ED invoice, invoice of the options, invoice of performance parts....we know the profit centers dealers like to push (extended warranties, car protections, wheel and tire warranties) are generally worth avoiding. As a whole, members of these forums are super educated in getting the best deal possible. Even regular car buyers know enough to go to Edmunds.com or similar sites to get the basics.

The days of Clark W. Griswald getting hosed on the family truckster are long gone for the most part.

The allocation process for the M puts the reasonable, logical buyer at a bit of a disadvantage because it doesn't really make sense. It puts us off balance because it goes against our natural understanding: put deposit down on car, get car. The dealership understands the process in and out and if we dont....well advantage them.

I prefer to go in on completely equal footing. Ok, off my soap-box.

Btw.....in case anyone thinks i'm way off-topic......I figure i'm just giving OP something to do while he waits for his car

Appreciate 3
      06-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #13
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Lol, who am I to piss in their cheerios?

For the most part, it's just a matter of semantics, and this distinction won't mean a damned thing for the majority of buyers. Most will put their "orders" in, without an allocation, but those allocations WILL come in and the orders will be placed and delivered....Nobody will be the wiser, right?

The ones that need to know this distinction are the ones that post in November: "Hey, I put my order in on September 14th, and I still can't track my car on the BMW website or phone number. I don't think I have a production number, and I keep trying to call my CA and he's not giving me a direct answer. But I know I put a deposit down in September!"

The thing is (goes off on a little rant) the BMW allocation system for M's messes with the sane, rational, logical human being. The normal car buyer thinks:

"Hey, I want an M....I think i'll go in to a dealership, hammer out a deal, put a deposit down and my car will be ordered"

This is logical thinking, right? A consumer wants something. Consumer puts money down and expects to be able to immediately start the process immediately and "buy" it. But the way BMW does their allocation process, that completely messes with our heads and the majority of consumers just don't get it.

And to make it worse, most dealerships are very hesitant to explain it....especially the dealerships that do not have an allocation:

"Ok, we can start that order for your new M3...but please keep in mind, the order isn't actually placed till we get an allocation for you. I'm sorry, we have none available at this time. We should get some next month, but honestly, we're not sure how many exactly. Oh, and you should know, we have 2 buyers in front of you that have already put deposits down. So, if we only get 2 allocations next month, you may be pushed out for a little while."

I doubt many dealers are that upfront. Why? Because they know the vast majority of buyers want their car yesterday...and if one dealership can't provide it, they will go to another that can. Lost sale. Do not give too much information, because too much info can translate into lost profits. Just tell 'em enough to keep them there and plunk down that deposit.

In this age of extremely educated buyers, this benefits the dealerships. Think about it, we know almost everything in terms of buying these cars. Not just invoice on the cars, but ED invoice, invoice of the options, invoice of performance parts....we know the profit centers dealers like to push (extended warranties, car protections, wheel and tire warranties) are generally worth avoiding. As a whole, members of these forums are super educated in getting the best deal possible. Even regular car buyers know enough to go to Edmunds.com or similar sites to get the basics.

The days of Clark W. Griswald getting hosed on the family truckster are long gone for the most part.

The allocation process for the M puts the reasonable, logical buyer at a bit of a disadvantage because it doesn't really make sense. It puts us off balance because it goes against our natural understanding: put deposit down on car, get car. The dealership understands the process in and out and if we dont....well advantage them.

I prefer to go in on completely equal footing. Ok, off my soap-box.

Btw.....in case anyone thinks i'm way off-topic......I figure i'm just giving OP something to do while he waits for his car
Very informative Thanks. What you stated above ^^, that is pretty much going to be my deciding vote on which dealership gets my order.....those who have an allocation and provide a production number

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #14
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Spend time on the forums, become hypereducated on the BMW ordering process, agonize over options/color choices, plan/buy mods, and then wash/rinse/repeat.

One nice thing is this forum is active enough that you can learn new things regularly and there are lots of delivery threads to hold you over.

Last edited by OneRib; 06-04-2015 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #15
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
Send time on the forums, become hypereducated on the BMW ordering process, agonize over options/color choices, plan/buy mods, and then wash/rinse/repeat.

One nice thing is this forum is active enough that you can learn new things regularly and there are lots of delivery threads to hold you over.
Hahaha. we said. I saved this one thread from early last year when the car came out. Better to be prepared while you wait

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1031768

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #16
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Hahaha. we said. I saved this one thread from early last year when the car came out. Better to be prepared while you wait

Those rattles are going to have to be pretty bad for me to go through that.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #17
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Yup, I have that one subscribed to as well. I have a bunch actually. Things on coding (have my software and cable ready), detailing, a few cosmetic mod threads, as well as the host of ED threads I subscribed to.

In relation to the thread mentioned above, I agree with OneRib , it's going to have to take a hell of a lot for me to become inspired to take apart my dash and door panels. That being said, I did purchase some Gummi Pflege to coat the door seals in a few weeks. Little stuff. Shame that shipping on that stuff costs more than the product itself....lol.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #18
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yup, I have that one subscribed to as well. I have a bunch actually. Things on coding (have my software and cable ready), detailing, a few cosmetic mod threads, as well as the host of ED threads I subscribed to.

In relation to the thread mentioned above, I agree with OneRib , it's going to have to take a hell of a lot for me to become inspired to take apart my dash and door panels. That being said, I did purchase some Gummi Pflege to coat the door seals in a few weeks. Little stuff. Shame that shipping on that stuff costs more than the product itself....lol.
Hahaha, I wasn't indicating I would be doing that. That said, Gummi Pfedge on the door seals was a must have on my E90 M.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #19
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Read "War and Peace".
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #20
Hass516
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

- Read about coding put a to code list together
- Buy mods
- Look at everyones pictures on the forums and be jealous
- Drive my brother's E46 M3 occasionally for a "quick fix"
- Check bmwusa.com and call the number over and over for status updates
- go to bed early to start the next day quicker lol

06-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #21
wazzza
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80x M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass516
- Read about coding put a to code list together
- Buy mods
- Look at everyones pictures on the forums and be jealous
- Drive my brother's E46 M3 occasionally for a "quick fix"
- Check bmwusa.com and call the number over and over for status updates
- go to bed early to start the next day quicker lol

Lol @ going to bed early. Do coding and lease play well together?
      06-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #22
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
during the wait...

BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1