Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

11-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Trim Installed <<<diy inside>>>

After going back and forth with different steering wheel options between the performance wheel and a custom wheel I ultimately decided I didn't want to loose the heat function. Realistically I do love the stock M wheel, just felt it needed something to dress it up a little bit.

In my research I saw pictures of the silver trim in carbon fiber. A small detail that I really liked, so I went ahead and ordered one thinking it was going to be a simple snap in snap out install. NOPE. Once it arrived I looked up instructions, all I really found was threads with people saying they had to pull the air bag and its a pain in the a$$. No real instructions, just cautions saying its not worth the efforts to install.

In my previous e92 335 I went through 3 different wheels until I landed on an M3 wheel. I loved the soft leather and thickness, as well as the tri-stitch. So I am no stranger to a steering wheel swap.

Half way through this install I decided to take some pictures and write a quick DIY for anyone contemplating doing this but scared of the difficulty level.

Total time: about 30 min (most spent on the mental fasteners on the back of the trim)

The final outcome:

DIY

Its recommended that before removing the airbag you disconnect the battery. I let my car go to sleep (leave the doors open for 20 or so minutes with the key far away so everything powers down) and jump into it

Removal of airbag. there is a small cut out on each side of the wheel. insert a straight object in. I used a screwdriver with a round head on it. You will feel when you need to press a little harder. Repeat for both sides

Hold the air bag assembly so its not resting its weight on the wires and clips. unclip the wire harness and place air back assembly aside

There will be two torx screws to remove at the top (pictured) and one behind the ///M logo at the bottom of the steering wheel. With these removed unclip the black trim piece

Trim Removed

Flip it over. This is the annoying part. Each one of these clips needs to be carefully removed. I used a flat head screw driver, I'm sure theres a better way to do it, but this is what I used. I bent them back to their original shape and re-used them after

All clipped up

The final outcome

All said and done, a half hour well spent in my opinion! I really like the look, adds what I was looking for on the wheel with keeping the soft leather, tri-stitch and most importantly heated steering wheel function.

Hope this helps out a few people worried that this is too big of a job for them

Last edited by catch; 11-27-2015 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 8
      11-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
bayareas1krr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36/E46 M3/F82 M4/E90 M3

great walkthrough!
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
N54MPower
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars

Nice write up!

I am currently thinking about getting the non electric M Performance wheel but I also don't want to lose the heat function.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #4
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Nice write up. Thanks!
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2015, 11:35 PM   #5
JHY310
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335 / F80 M3 on order

Is this the iND piece?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
MCanadaE46
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Nice! Compliments the interior very well. It's the small touches like this that make the interior pop.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Fantastic! Should have come stock this way.

I wish there were CF replacements for the little alu pieces on the side toggle controls -- for that matter, for all the little alu trim pieces in the interior.

Where did you get the CF piece?
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #8
jcote258
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 F95 X5M

Sub'd Great DIY! I actually backed out of getting one of these because of the horror stories but it doesn't look that bad now and looks great!
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch View Post
After going back and forth with different steering wheel options between the performance wheel and a custom wheel I ultimately decided I didn't want to loose the heat function. Realistically I do love the stock M wheel, just felt it needed something to dress it up a little bit.

In my research I saw pictures of the silver trim in carbon fiber. A small detail that I really liked, so I went ahead and ordered one thinking it was going to be a simple snap in snap out install. NOPE. Once it arrived I looked up instructions, all I really found was threads with people saying they had to pull the air bag and its a pain in the a$$. No real instructions, just cautions saying its not worth the efforts to install.

In my previous e92 335 I went through 3 different wheels until I landed on an M3 wheel. I loved the soft leather and thickness, as well as the tri-stitch. So I am no stranger to a steering wheel swap.

Half way through this install I decided to take some pictures and write a quick DIY for anyone contemplating doing this but scared of the difficulty level.

Total time: about 30 min (most spent on the mental fasteners on the back of the trim)

The final outcome:

DIY

Its recommended that before removing the airbag you disconnect the battery. I let my car go to sleep (leave the doors open for 20 or so minutes with the key far away so everything powers down) and jump into it

Removal of airbag. there is a small cut out on each side of the wheel. insert a straight object in. I used a screwdriver with a round head on it. You will feel when you need to press a little harder. Repeat for both sides

Hold the air bag assembly so its not resting its weight on the wires and clips. unclip the wire harness and place air back assembly aside

There will be two torx screws to remove at the top (pictured) and one behind the ///M logo at the bottom of the steering wheel. With these removed unclip the black trim piece

Trim Removed

Flip it over. This is the annoying part. Each one of these clips needs to be carefully removed. I used a flat head screw driver, I'm sure theres a better way to do it, but this is what I used. I bent them back to their original shape and re-used them after

All clipped up

The final outcome

All said and done, a half hour well spent in my opinion! I really like the look, adds what I was looking for on the wheel with keeping the soft leather, tri-stitch and most importantly heated steering wheel function.

Hope this helps out a few people worried that this is too big of a job for them
Looks great I may do this. Who did you get the part from?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #10
mrrm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

IND

sells the part. It is very nicely made and reasonably priced. $200 I think.

It took me a lot more than 30 minutes to do this. But, well worth it.

The little washers on the back side are a bitch. I decided to put a dab of silicone glue on them to make sure they wouldn't come loose.

Appreciate 1
      12-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #11
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep

I don't know who manufactured the part, I bought it in the classifieds here.

I agree that it should have come like this, or as an option, from the factory!

I'm loving the look. Only thing that would make it pop a lot more would be natural light from a sunroof!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
I don't know who manufactured the part, I bought it in the classifieds here.

I agree that it should have come like this, or as an option, from the factory!

I'm loving the look. Only thing that would make it pop a lot more would be natural light from a sunroof!!
Almost certain it's from iND.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #13
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Almost certain it's from iND.
Id say theres a good chance of that.

Its a solid piece for sure. Feels like an OEM piece wrapped
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #14
RussianPete
Captain
Russia
Rep
Drives: AY M4

weight reduction
      12-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #15
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80 Transporter View Post
weight reduction
lol exactly why I did this. Been slacking at the gym lately, the wheel was getting harder to move. Now, no problem at all
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #16
RussianPete
Captain
Russia
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
lol exactly why I did this. Been slacking at the gym lately, the wheel was getting harder to move. Now, no problem at all
haha, looks good!!

Was the install hard? Buying my M4 in January and i might do this. Only thing thats stopping me is fucking with the electronics in the wheel. Might cause some permanent damage.