ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

View Poll Results: Do like or hate the sound of the F80/F82 Exhaust System?
I don't mind the sound of the exhaust system 21 70.00%
I detest the sound of the exhaust system 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

01-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #23
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone vs Android View Post
Exhaust and more importantly the engine note is a deal breaker for me. I lease my cars and dont mod them so to me the oem package is what matters. That car in its current form sounds horrendous.
Wow. So you're done here now?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #24
Real Deal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
He only asked 1000 questions and was very eager :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #25
iPhone vs Android
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
No I'm not done anywhere. I'm just saying. I'm not a track junkie, I don't do red light drag racing. I don't care if the car is 10 pounds lighter or if it has carbon fiber drive shaft. I care about its looks (M3 has them so check) and the sound. I spend 0 dollars on my cars because I lease them brand new, no headache, drive the shit out of them for 3 years, and get a new one. I'm not a modder or a garage queen/enthusiast. If this car does sound like those videos (literally like a modded civic or a base 335), then I'm not going to be able to justify spending all that money to it and it's going to be upsetting because I want to get it. My last sentence is really honestly true, I want to love this new car and I'm trying hard and I hope we are going to be wrong.

That being said, I have spent about half an hour last night going over all the first threads in the E9X M3 forum from 2007 and interestingly enough, there weren't that many negative threads about the car. For some reason this time around, there is just way too much negativity. The problem is, perception is everything and we all know it. Underneath the covers, the car may have great technology, amazing complex turbos, and whatever else you name it, but how it sounds like is what registers in our brain and after the E9X model, let's be honest, this one doesn't sound good at all. It sounds terrible in fact. Yes BMW could potentially optimize the exhaust but realistically speaking, do you think they are going to be able to do that in 2 months time? What about the engine sound that they are now saying its "dull". What are you going to do about that? N55 isn't the greatest sounding engine out there. I drove several 335 loaners all had N55 and it was the most boring sounding engine (compared to Corvette, RS5, AMG, etc).

You can say all you want, yes I am into appearances. I'm a married man with kids. I don't go to track. I drive my car hard and how it sounds like is probably 1/3 rd of the equation for me. Handling and the looks are the other parts. A whole bunch of you are young single guys who care about 0-60 times and track statistics. I don't care about any of that. Yeah they are important but who cares. When I drive my car on the street or in a tunnel, I care about how it sounds like when a downshift or WOT on 3rd gear.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #26
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

You could always change the exhaust and make it sound deeper, doesnt sound bad that way. The engine note though...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #27
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
No I'm not done anywhere. I'm just saying. I'm not a track junkie, I don't do red light drag racing. I don't care if the car is 10 pounds lighter or if it has carbon fiber drive shaft. I care about its looks (M3 has them so check) and the sound. I spend 0 dollars on my cars because I lease them brand new, no headache, drive the shit out of them for 3 years, and get a new one. I'm not a modder or a garage queen/enthusiast. If this car does sound like those videos (literally like a modded civic or a base 335), then I'm not going to be able to justify spending all that money to it and it's going to be upsetting because I want to get it. My last sentence is really honestly true, I want to love this new car and I'm trying hard and I hope we are going to be wrong.

That being said, I have spent about half an hour last night going over all the first threads in the E9X M3 forum from 2007 and interestingly enough, there weren't that many negative threads about the car. For some reason this time around, there is just way too much negativity. The problem is, perception is everything and we all know it. Underneath the covers, the car may have great technology, amazing complex turbos, and whatever else you name it, but how it sounds like is what registers in our brain and after the E9X model, let's be honest, this one doesn't sound good at all. It sounds terrible in fact. Yes BMW could potentially optimize the exhaust but realistically speaking, do you think they are going to be able to do that in 2 months time? What about the engine sound that they are now saying its "dull". What are you going to do about that? N55 isn't the greatest sounding engine out there. I drove several 335 loaners all had N55 and it was the most boring sounding engine (compared to Corvette, RS5, AMG, etc).

You can say all you want, yes I am into appearances. I'm a married man with kids. I don't go to track. I drive my car hard and how it sounds like is probably 1/3 rd of the equation for me. Handling and the looks are the other parts. A whole bunch of you are young single guys who care about 0-60 times and track statistics. I don't care about any of that. Yeah they are important but who cares. When I drive my car on the street or in a tunnel, I care about how it sounds like when a downshift or WOT on 3rd gear.
Makes sense to me.

There's hope. No matter the engine note or exhaust note, you'll find more sympathizing with your view once the new owners begin to do exactly what the current crop of owners has done over the years; start threads about things that they dislike or hate about their car in spite of loving the car.
      01-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #28
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:

I really think it will be OK. People don't like a lot of change. Once people actually drive the car, those hate threads will turn.

Right now it's all fantasizing in people's minds.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #29
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

All I know is the E46 sounded like crap even with exhaust hope this isn't the case. The best sounding M ever was the e60 M5 with exhaust nothing will ever compare!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #30
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Oh, hi Ezio. How ya been? Nice touch with the married with kids thing. Nobody will ever guess you're 19.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #31
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I6s sound the best compared to that small crossplane V8... Never was a fan of the sound. Annoying to say the least. From a cold start to the soft power delivery irl....If you hear a C63 engine or even a Vette engine you know what I mean.

New twinturbo 6 engine sounds allright to me.

CSL was the best sounding BMW engine from the last decade. Period.

Cheers
Robin
Thanks for your unbiased comment. Indeed, E9x M3s are slow and sound like $hit.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #32
Real Deal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Oh, hi Ezio. How ya been? Nice touch with the married with kids thing. Nobody will ever guess you're 19.
He has been called that now for the 3rd time. The long timers must know something.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #33
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:

if you only care about looks and sound, why the hell are you looking at 70k car that solely focus on performance? you shouldnt even have bought e9x. what you neef is like a... oh nvm.. i wont get into it. you will probably write another essay to prove me im wrong anyway lol
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #34
iPhone vs Android
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
if you only care about looks and sound, why the hell are you looking at 70k car that solely focus on performance? you shouldnt even have bought e9x. what you neef is like a... oh nvm.. i wont get into it. you will probably write another essay to prove me im wrong anyway lol
I am because its the only car in that range that provides luxury as well. It also has the best handling and looks (subjective). I got E9X because it was the best in all these aspects at the time and the 8400 rpm and the engine sound was unparalleled.

I dont care at all about the exhaust that much to me they all sound decent enough, my problem is with the engine. Have you driven a E9X on 3rd gear all the way to 8300? Do you know how it sounds like both from driver's seat and outside? That's my baseline. I'm willing to give up some of that for better economy and gadgets but the videos of the current car has been disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #35
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
Thanks for your unbiased comment. Indeed, E9x M3s are slow and sound like $hit.
Not more unbiased than all of the comments on how bad the S55 sounds and how it will feel during acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #36
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d
Quote:
Exhaust and more importantly the engine note is a deal breaker for me. I lease my cars and dont mod them so to me the oem package is what matters. That car in its current form sounds horrendous.
He should be. That should be the nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned. The sound won't differ much from what the videos present, so the deal is broken.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #37
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
To me, through videos, it's sounds too much like a 4 cylinder fart can.

However, I have driven a 335i with the m performance exhaust and it sounded good. Not flatulent, but tight and urgent. Nasty.

I would expect even better from the new configuration.
I am sorry but I am a GI doctor and you used "flatulent, but tight and urgent. Nasty." and I couldn't help to crack up thinking god I hear this all day and it can't be all that bad!! haha
      01-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #38
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

I actually like the exhaust sound from what I can gather from internet portrayals.
      01-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #39
karbonphiber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4

F80/F82 Exhaust Sound Poll

How many people here don't mind how the F80/F82 exhaust system sounds and how many people detest it?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #40
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I don't mind it (..and yes, I've owned many ///M3's before). If people detest it so much - and aren't willing to buy an aftermarket exhaust - then they shouldn't buy the car. It's really that simple! If you're not attracted to a female, don't ask for her number.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #41
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

I just hope it's not too raspy when I take that resonator and secondary cats out.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #42
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Limited possible responses in this poll...

So far, I don't "detest" the sound and don't mind it.

However, I certainly don't love it like I do my S65 with MPE
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #43
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Have not heard it in person yet so can't make a true pick whether I like it or not. From the videos, which we all know never relate the sound correctly, it doesn't bother me to much. I most likely will be slapping on a aftermarket exhaust as soon as I can anyways.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #44
Dawko
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :

Garage List
  [0.00]
I think most of the members on this forum wil gradually move to an aftermarket exhaust.
So far the exhaust sound hasn't been too clear, neither was the video fromXcar as this was with closed valves.
Appreciate 0