Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-31-2015, 01:09 PM   #221
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

DTM concept sketch

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/31/m...#slide-3600865

----they should have given the W205 AMG some flares like this...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #222
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Yeah I just dont agree. I do have full leather which IMO makes a night and day difference in the interior quality of the M3. I think what you see as "cheaper" I see as "sportier".
I'm a die hard Bimmer fan but there's no denying the C Class' interior is miles ahead of the F8X. Full leather option helps but the Merc's still feels better.
Appreciate 2
      12-26-2015, 07:44 AM   #223
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
I'm a die hard Bimmer fan but there's no denying the C Class' interior is miles ahead of the F8X. Full leather option helps but the Merc's still feels better.
Well it's good have an opinion, but you're statement isn't fact because I'm here to in fact deny that the C Class interior is "miles" ahead of the F8x.
I agree with dmk08 regarding the interior.
There are aspects that are nicer in the C63 but it's not a one sided 100% better interior.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #224
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
I'm seriously baffled. We're not shifting through gears with a column shifter. The column shifter only goes from P-R-N-D. The paddles (which all these cars have) are for actual shifts. Please tell me we all understand this.
Yes, we understand this but with the paddles stuck on the steering wheel instead of the column, there many times in the middle of a turn that the wheel is upside down or twisted and you can't just shift, got a 50% chance of shifting in the wrong direction, that's where the shifter in the standard position comes in handy.
BMW also got the shifter correct, forward down - back up shift, goes with expected car momentum.
These multi-steering wheel turning corners happen to me about three to four times a week, and I'm talking about normal diving around the block running errands, so before someone starts spewing malarkey about shifting before and after apexes.....I'm not at a track, so just stop.

Also see comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
Still having the stick to me is important for a couple reasons.

1. the stick provides redundancy, I've driven manuals for a lot of years, so I am still reaching sometimes when I need to shift. I use both paddles and stick.

2. ironically, when you are on a track, there is less of a need to use the stick because the turns are not so sharp that requires you to turn the wheel where the paddles are hard to reach. In real world driving, I've had many times when I had to use the stick because my steering wheel is turning too far for me to easily paddle shift. i.e. when you are on a sharp freeway on ramp and you are in 2nd to shift to 3rd. or when you are turning on an intersection and you want to downshift to 2nd from 3rd- obviously this problem can be remedied for cars with the paddles secured to the column instead of the wheel.

Exactly.
If a person doesn't understand this, it's possibly because they don't use the paddles and always drive in auto mode. Which makes sense for MB lovers since the C63 has a shit transmission anyway(yes of course I think it sucks).

Last edited by Blksnowflake; 12-26-2015 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #225
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Yes, we understand this but with the paddles stuck on the steering wheel instead of the column, there many times in the middle of a turn that the wheel is upside down or twisted and you can't just shift, got a 50% chance of shifting in the wrong direction, that's where the shifter in the standard position comes in handy.
BMW also got the shifter correct, forward down - back up shift, goes with expected car momentum.
These multi-steering wheel turning corners happen to me about three to four times a week, and I'm talking about normal diving around the block running errands, so before someone starts spewing malarkey about shifting before and after apexes.....I'm not at a track, so just stop.

Also see comments below.

Exactly.
If a person doesn't understand this, it's possibly because they don't use the paddles and always drive in auto mode. Which makes sense for MB lovers since the C63 has a shit transmission anyway(yes of course I think it sucks).
Have a friend that just got a Vette... one of his main complaints is steering wheel only shifters as the stick only has P R N D... I can definitely understand.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #226
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:

Also see comments below.

Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Have a friend that just got a Vette... one of his main complaints is steering wheel only shifters as the stick only has P R N D... I can definitely understand.
Yes... the one big downfall of the C63 is the transmission... both in terms of it not being a DCT (spare me on how fast MB has made the auto shift because I can tell you there is a meaningful feel/connection difference) and the shifter. Yes, the paddles are there but like many, I still like the shifter on the console and BMW's correct up/down direction.

If MB had gotten this right, I think they would have owned the M4 this generation (the coupe anyway). My suspicion is the car will be better received than the M and that's OK but had they gotten that right, I suspect MB would be the new class leader at least until the next M is released.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #227
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Yes... the one big downfall of the C63 is the transmission... both in terms of it not being a DCT (spare me on how fast MB has made the auto shift because I can tell you there is a meaningful feel/connection difference) and the shifter. Yes, the paddles are there but like many, I still like the shifter on the console and BMW's correct up/down direction.

If MB had gotten this right, I think they would have owned the M4 this generation (the coupe anyway). My suspicion is the car will be better received than the M and that's OK but had they gotten that right, I suspect MB would be the new class leader at least until the next M is released.
I agree. I can say from my perspective if the C63 had a proper DCT and a console shifter, it would be the car I'd choose, even though I think the sedan looks tame and has skinny tires.
I could have overlooked the overly conservative rear end styling of the sedan(the front is a win) but when you add auto transmission and F150 derived column shifter, I gave up. The coupe learned it's lesson from the jeering crowds regarding the styling but the other two factors remain, maybe next gen I guess.

Last edited by Blksnowflake; 12-26-2015 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #228
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The problem w the sedan is still that everytime that i've seen one i have not been able to tell a difference between it and any other C class... there is virtually zero differentiation... the coupe imho is butt ugly, that styling doesnt work for everyone. I hated the s class coupe as well. The performance however cant be denied.
      12-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #229
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
oh damn, u have an M2 on order? nice!!!

must read up on ur review on that car... when r u getting it??!!!!

thought u might have gone to the p car side! Haven't seen u around.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #230
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
The problem w the sedan is still that everytime that i've seen one i have not been able to tell a difference between it and any other C class... there is virtually zero differentiation... the coupe imho is butt ugly, that styling doesnt work for everyone. I hated the s class coupe as well. The performance however cant be denied.
saw a c450 amg and they have quad pipes on that too? sacrilege. can't hardly tell the difference.

the main problem with the c63s series is that the cost is astronomical right now compared to their competition. lease rates sux. have to wait until next year at least ... from my experience, mb will start discounting 10-15k when the car is not selling.

it is undoubtably a great car, just 90k plus tax for the sedan and 100k plus tax for the coupe is hard to swallow for equivalent performance.

minus 15k and it is a different story. not my cup of tea, heavy and not raw enough without the dct, but definitely something to consider.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #231
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
oh damn, u have an M2 on order? nice!!!

must read up on ur review on that car... when r u getting it??!!!!

thought u might have gone to the p car side! Haven't seen u around.
Still around Yes, I have an M2 coming... just to try something different for a while and then likely back to an M4 with competition pack. Should be here late April. It's all about trying as many cars as possible before you die
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2015, 10:56 PM   #232
CommonProject
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Well it's good have an opinion, but you're statement isn't fact because I'm here to in fact deny that the C Class interior is "miles" ahead of the F8x.
I agree with dmk08 regarding the interior.
There are aspects that are nicer in the C63 but it's not a one sided 100% better interior.
C class is definitely miles ahead. It's mainly because BMW interiors are just shit these days...vents that look worse than a Honda and pixeled display for volume/temp? What are we, in the 90's?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #233
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

You want to talk about vents?

Definitely not miles... There is definitely give and take with both interiors.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #234
AW BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 SS2 F80/18 AVUS BLUE F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonProject View Post
C class is definitely miles ahead. It's mainly because BMW interiors are just shit these days...vents that look worse than a Honda and pixeled display for volume/temp? What are we, in the 90's?
Completely disagree with you, I sat in a few c63s and really dislike the dashboard and nav screen, including the style of the air vents. Now the seats are a different story, but the f8x I believe is well integrated with the sporty look of the entire car. In reality it comes down to personal likes and dislikes but it's not one sided or miles ahead by any means when it comes to the c63.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #235
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There you go again spewing your opinion as fact, watch this:
The M3 is definitely miles ahead of the C class in terms of looks and the interior is no contest except for maybe the seats, the AMG's shifter is derived from an F150 truck, the console has too much blank space, tacked on Nav screen and vent design? how many different ways can you design a vent, circle, rectangle or square, pick one....
See, I can say some random opinionated crap too, is it a fact now, because I said it on the internet and used the words "miles ahead" and "definitely", and how about the shit styling MB is doing now a days, all their cars look the same, one coupe one sedan, just different sizes and they all look like an egg. An egg with an amazing motor and exhaust note, but still an egg, ok a fancy egg.

In all seriousness, the issue is some of you must be 16 years old and just discovered your ability to think. It's perfectly fine to have an opinion or preference, all this is subjective. The problem is the lack of tact and maturity, the way some of you articulate yourselves is an embarrassment and makes your opinion lack consideration, because instead of a positive perspective, it comes off as an offensive statement, particular in a forum in which many own an F8X, duh.
What kind of reaction would you expect when someone calls your kid ugly.....
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #236
AzizM5
Qatar
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/ Corvette C7

Quote:
The M3 is definitely miles ahead of the C class in terms of looks and the interior is no contest except for maybe the seats, the AMG's shifter is derived from an F150 truck, the console has too much blank space, tacked on Nav screen and vent design? how many different ways can you design a vent, circle, rectangle or square, pick one....
See, I can say some random opinionated crap too, is it a fact now, because I said it on the internet and used the words "miles ahead" and "definitely", and how about the shit styling MB is doing now a days, all their cars look the same, one coupe one sedan, just different sizes and they all look like an egg. An egg with an amazing motor and exhaust note, but still an egg, ok a fancy egg.

In all seriousness, the issue is some of you must be 16 years old and just discovered your ability to think. It's perfectly fine to have an opinion or preference, all this is subjective. The problem is the lack of tact and maturity, the way some of you articulate yourselves is an embarrassment and makes your opinion lack consideration, because instead of a positive perspective, it comes off as an offensive statement, particular in a forum in which many own an F8X, duh.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #237
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Yes, we understand this but with the paddles stuck on the steering wheel instead of the column, there many times in the middle of a turn that the wheel is upside down or twisted and you can't just shift.
You should not be shifting mid-corner. Improper driving technique.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #238
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
You should not be shifting mid-corner. Improper driving technique.
Not sure if serious...
If so, obviously you didn't read my whole post. It's still there reread it.....

Last edited by Blksnowflake; 12-27-2015 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #239
CommonProject
Rep

Quote:

lol why do you sound so mad? The honest truth is that the M3 and 3 series interiors are both extremely outdated for their class. This has been said by pretty much every major car reviewer/journalist.

I own an F80 myself and there's many positive aspects about the car, but the interior is just not one of them. If you're so easily offended may be don't read online internet forums.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #240
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol why do you sound so mad? The honest truth is that the M3 and 3 series interiors are both extremely outdated for their class. This has been said by pretty much every major car reviewer/journalist.

I own an F80 myself and there's many positive aspects about the car, but the interior is just not one of them. If you're so easily offended may be don't read online internet forums.
I'm neither mad or offended. Perhaps it's simply my writing style or the way you read, lets stop playing mind games about who meant what. Did I say I was angry, did I say "I" was offended, then it must be you. I simply responded to your claims which you persistently keep trying to pass off as fact. What a paid journalist says about any car is always suspected of bias and because design is subjective, and the reviewer a human, it is still opinion.

Ok so BMW has used the same general design outline for their interiors for quite sometime, but in my opinion looking through the generations, this generation is sporty, well organised and aesthetically pleasing, I disagree it is outdated. Is it Maybach level nice, no, but I think in my assessment it falls in 2nd place behind Audi RS models and in front of the AMG in 3rd, although I think the AMG seats look better but not sure if they're more comfortable which is a lot more important factor to me than looks.

It seems people just want change for the sake of change. MB changed their interior, yay it's new. It's clear we see things differently, that's okay. We have different opinions....the great thing for me is that I'm happy with my purchase, not sure why you bought a car you didn't like, which the great thing for you is you could trade it in for AMG and be happy.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #241
CommonProject
Rep

Quote:
I'm neither mad or offended. Perhaps it's simply my writing style or the way you read, lets stop playing mind games about who meant what. Did I say I was angry, did I say "I" was offended, then it must be you. I simply responded to your claims which you persistently keep trying to pass off as fact. What a paid journalist says about any car is always suspected of bias and because design is subjective, and the reviewer a human, it is still opinion.

Ok so BMW has used the same general design outline for their interiors for quite sometime, but in my opinion looking through the generations, this generation is sporty, well organised and aesthetically pleasing, I disagree it is outdated. Is it Maybach level nice, no, but I think in my assessment it falls in 2nd place behind Audi RS models and in front of the AMG in 3rd, although I think the AMG seats look better but not sure if they're more comfortable which is a lot more important factor to me than looks.

It seems people just want change for the sake of change. MB changed their interior, yay it's new. It's clear we see things differently, that's okay. We have different opinions....the great thing for me is that I'm happy with my purchase, not sure why you bought a car you didn't like, which the great thing for you is you could trade it in for AMG and be happy.
Lol not sure if you're confusing me with someone else but you need to chill. I made only 1 post in this thread and all of a sudden you refer that to as being "there you go again" and "offensive" to F8x owners (aka myself). No car is perfect, that doesn't automatically mean I don't like my F80. This is the reason why the term fanboy exist. People make one criticism and the butt hurt and insecurity come flying out. Putting you on ignore.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #242
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol not sure if you're confusing me with someone else but you need to chill. I made only 1 post in this thread and all of a sudden you refer that to as being "there you go again" and "offensive" to F8x owners (aka myself). No car is perfect, that doesn't automatically mean I don't like my F80. This is the reason why the term fanboy exist. People make one criticism and the butt hurt and insecurity come flying out. Putting you on ignore.
I'm perfectly chilled, and not confused, and now I'm possibly butthurt and insecure. I'll say this much, you're pretty good with the adjectives. ohhhh now I'm on your "ignore list", yeah you told me....sigh. Agree to disagree, very simple outcome.
Appreciate 0