Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #1
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Exclamation Crank hub issue; UPDATES* ?

Well, it's brought to my attention the fully built pure turbos running Maximum PSI shop car just spun it Gintani one piece hub w/ super strong bolt torqued higher. This occurred at the MPACT event we just had here on the east coast. I have little doubt others with similar "solutions" will face the same story. Basically are we back to square one with this now?

Obviously these concerns are primarily relating to heavily modded cars (650hp+) and DCT's as their "kickdown" feature spins it easier than occurs with 6MT's...
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
9SECDD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Blk on Blk, DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M4 PWR View Post
Well, it's brought to my attention the fully built pure turbos running Maximum PSI shop car just spun it Gintani one piece hub w/ super strong bolt torqued higher. This occurred at the MPACT event we just had here on the east coast. I have little doubt others with similar "solutions" will face the same story. Basically are we back to square one with this now?

Obviously these concerns are primarily relating to heavily modded cars (650hp+) and DCT's as their "kickdown" feature spins it easier than occurs with 6MT's...

Damn.
2015 F82 DCT M4. Max PSI Built Motor, Ported head, Full Bolt Ons, Upgraded fuel system, Motiv Reflex and flex hardware for flex fuel, Max PSI Crank Hub Fix, Pure PS2+ Turbos, SSP Spec X clutch, xHP Trans Flash, DSS Axles. Custom Ecutek tune by Ian @bend calibration. 780whp & 700+ ft lbs torque, 18" HRE R101s.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:

Thank you for this information !
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Frankfurt View Post
Thank you for this information !
You're very welcome brotha. I want to start a dialogue on what *soutions* out there are currently being tested regarding this issue. This isn't another "failed crank hub" thread, but rather which modded ones have failed and which haven't been tested yet and which are in the pipeline of development... so our cars & community can address this weak link and allow the sky to be our limit instead... 👍

Last edited by BMW M4 PWR; 07-14-2016 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #5
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Quote:
You're very welcome brotha. I want to start a dialogue on what *soutions* out there are currently being tested regarding this issue. This isn't another "failed crank hub" thread, but rather which modded ones have failed and which haven't been tested yet and which are in the pipeline of development... so our cars & community can address this weak link and allow the sky to be our limit instead... 👍
When they tear it they hopefullly they will say if the one peice solution failed, the bolt, or both. Either way this issue is stopping me from going to far on this platform. I don't plan on having to buy a motor out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

So, this is my first DCT. I'm very interested in a tune. At what HP should I stay well under.. To mitigate this as much as possible?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #7
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
So, this is my first DCT. I'm very interested in a tune. At what HP should I stay well under.. To mitigate this as much as possible?
It spins even on stock cars with stock power. Very rarely, but it does happen. If stock, dealers have been covering the issue.

Big turbo cars on the forum, as small of a data set as that is, seem to be experiencing this more frequently.
      07-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
As "Reach" mentioned it's mainly the big turbo upgrade cars that are experiencing this. Anything upto and around ~500RWHP or stock turbos you shouldn't worry too much although it's still possible on your DCT*
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M4 PWR
Quote:
As "Reach" mentioned it's mainly the big turbo upgrade cars that are experiencing this. Anything upto and around ~500RWHP or stock turbos you shouldn't worry too much although it's still possible on your DCT*
Alrightly then.

We will chat when we meet on the 31st.

Torn between the VF & Bootmod.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
M3SSY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 / F80 M3

Is there any correlation to build date and spinning? Some people are speculating they updated something early 2015 I think it was some sort of torque plate for the block
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 04:16 PM   #11
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Alrightly then.

We will chat when we meet on the 31st.

Torn between the VF & Bootmod.
Looking forward to it, I can help you with virtually any question you may have on this subject.. 👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SSY View Post
Is there any correlation to build date and spinning? Some people are speculating they updated something early 2015 I think it was some sort of torque plate for the block
No, at this point there's not. There was talk that the new bed plate design BMW incorporated on build date's after 12/15 would potentially remedy the issue, but there's NO confirmation of that.

...I personally believe we'll nail a doable aftermarket solution for this issue but we're not there yet* I own a 6MT so I'm not worry about it at all without misshifting... but I DO plan on turbo upgrades with bootmod3 tuning/JB4 stack, fueling upgrades/etc down the road and I NEED this issue address before I take any step further than intake/exhaust/JB4 personally...

Last edited by BMW M4 PWR; 07-14-2016 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #12
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Sigh. Makes me consider using map 0 on my JB4 until this gets sorted.
      07-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #13
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Sigh. Makes me consider using map 0 on my JB4 until this gets sorted.
I think that's excessive brotha, failure rates on stock turbos are still very very low ( <1% ) ...run your map 1 or 2, you'll be fine at that level*
Appreciate 5
      07-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #14
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
I think that's excessive brotha, failure rates on stock turbos are still very very low ( <1% ) ...run your map 1 or 2, you'll be fine at that level*
Thx

07-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #15
9SECDD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Blk on Blk, DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
This is one of the reasons I am keeping my car sub 650 whp. Dyno'd at 625 and I think I'll stay there. Props to Kevin at Precision Tuning for his advice on that.

Have driven it hard (roll racing and drag racing) and have not spun it yet, but recognize it's a real possibility. I stick to manually shifting with paddles and avoid hitting kickdown.

Will let you all know if and when I spin mine.
2015 F82 DCT M4. Max PSI Built Motor, Ported head, Full Bolt Ons, Upgraded fuel system, Motiv Reflex and flex hardware for flex fuel, Max PSI Crank Hub Fix, Pure PS2+ Turbos, SSP Spec X clutch, xHP Trans Flash, DSS Axles. Custom Ecutek tune by Ian @bend calibration. 780whp & 700+ ft lbs torque, 18" HRE R101s.
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2016, 06:56 PM   #16
s2k750
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

What are the odds of stock tuned cars spinning vs stock cars spinning?

Are they 1 in 10, 100, 1000? I have no idea how many of these cars are actually out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #17
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-M4 View Post
This is one of the reasons I am keeping my car sub 650 whp. Dyno'd at 625 and I think I'll stay there. Props to Kevin at Precision Tuning for his advice on that.

Have driven it hard (roll racing and drag racing) and have not spun it yet, but recognize it's a real possibility. I stick to manually shifting with paddles and avoid hitting kickdown.

Will let you all know if and when I spin mine.
Very smart, if everyone followed that advice and your strategy there'd be virtually no failures. Solutions are being worked on as we speak... these motors have ENORMOUS potential in making reliable power and torque, but this annoying ass weak link HAS to be addressed to go significantly over 650-700rwhp *reliably*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2k750 View Post

Are they 1 in 10, 100, 1000? I have no idea how many of these cars are actually out there.
Very few.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #18
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Can always email these people so it's on their radar...

ludwig.willisch@bmwgroup.com - President and CEO

rebecca.kiehne@bmwna.com - Product and Technical Communications Spokesperson, BMW of North America

alexander.schmuck@bmwna.com - Product & Technology Communications Manager at BMW of North America

hector.arellano-belloc@bmwna.com - BMW Product and Technology Spokesperson at BMW of North America

gabriel.dunn@bmwna.com - Media Communications Manager. Direct phone:

ralph.huber@bmwna.com - Chief of Technology Communication

kai.lichte@bmwgroup.com - Product Communications Manager

dirk.arnold@bmwgroup.com - Vice President Product, Technology and Sports Communications, Press and PR Events

bill.mcandrews@bmw.de - Vice President Communications Strategy, Corporate Communications, BMW Group

jan-christiaan.koenders@bmw.de - Executive Vice President, Sales and Operations
Appreciate 3
      07-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #19
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2k750 View Post

No one has the answer to that.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 07:50 PM   #20
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Wow that sucks for maximumpsi. I was following them on Instagram right up til them building the engine last minute for the event.

If anyone comes up with a solution for this it'll be BMW and BMW only.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #21
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
If anyone comes up with a solution for this it'll be BMW and BMW only.
Thats not true, there's been so much shit like this (and waaay worst issues) across so many different platforms and we almost always find fixes for them in the aftermarket world. In the scope of difficulty this isn't nearly the worst either...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #22
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:

Well couldn't have been kickdown at the event as its WOT in straight line and they just put it back together.
Appreciate 1