Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #1
Silver TT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Hunting for M5 Comp Pack

Will I be happy with a 2017 M3 Comp Pack vs. 2015 M5 Comp Pack??

Guys -

I posted this over on the M5 forum but want to get your views as well. Given most forum members are typically inclined to like what is currently in their own garage (because these are all awesome machines) I am specifically looking for comments from guys who have owned an F10 M5 and now own an F80 M3 or at least have had some serious seat time in both cars and can share thoughts.

I went out and test drove a 2014 CPO M5 this past weekend. It was not a competition package car so I do not want my comments / leanings to say anything about the competition package cars. Need to drive one of those before making my ultimate decision.

Punchline is I really, really liked it and wanted to love it, but I didn't. I have read that the non-comp pack cars (especially the earlier years) are a bit heavier feeling with less direct steering. And most of the reviews here and from Motor Trend / Car & Driver say the competition package makes it a whole new car, so I do need to drive a 2014+ with comp pack.

That said, for my particular situation, we already have a big comfortable SUV covered (ordering the new 2017 LR Discovery or GLS550 in a month or two) and we also have a 2016 Wrangler Unlimited for top down beach cruising / winter daily. So the M3 or M5 would not be my daily driver. And I don't really need to fit 5 adults in it. I do need to fit 3 kids in back every once and a while so it doesn't just sit in the garage, but on that point, I sat back to back within 2 mins of each other a 2014 M5 and a 2017 F80 M3 and could not really tell much difference in back seat room. The M3 actually felt like it had MORE leg room, albeit likely has slightly less width / shoulder room for 5.

I really want something that is super lively and fun when I am out for a drive. And from what I have read the competition package really wakes up the F80 M3 (similar reviews from people coming out of 2015/6 M3s into 2017 M3 Comp Packs to 2013 M5 to 2014 M5 Comp Pack). Need to drive one to confirm for myself, but here is the config I am currently considering.

Of course the F80 sound is still an issue, but I think the AWE Switch Path sounds pretty awesome, and the 2017 Comp Pack has all sorts of pops and gurgles that regular F80s do not.

Talk me out of it!!

Here is the config I would likely do:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...?CMId=d7xzjc14
      11-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 E46

from what I heard the 2017 for the m3 comp package, holds down the power and traction better, LCI updates, get a 6MT and an M3.

do you want something more nimble or u want more straight line power is what it comes down too. me personally looks and fun factor imo is the M3.

get downpipes and the zcp exhaust with the valves open will sound better then stock.

just drive both and youlll know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
Rik84
Full Potato
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Not a perfect comparison - but hopefully it helps.

I own a 2015 M3, no comp package. But, it has springs and a tune running an ethanol blend. Or it did the last time I drove it. Currently it is getting turbos and a bunch of other work done.

For the last month I have been driving a friend's 2013 M5, which is lowered, tuned, and has intakes and exhaust. The car is a torque beast but also a boat. It really reminds me of driving around in my 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT - just lower, softer and faster.

I miss my M3, a lot. It feels more direct, nimble and enjoyable. It is also my DD.

So what is your requirement? Looking something fun, fast and comfortable to cruise in or something a bit rougher and direct?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
Silver TT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Hunting for M5 Comp Pack

Thanks for the feedback here guys. Both sound consistent with the general them of M3 = more nimble, fun, raw and M5 = refined speed, comfort, luxury.

The odd thing is the two cars are almost exactly matched price wise these days given you can get a really clean low mile CPO 2015 M5 comp pack for about $75k. But I just know I will be bored of it in 6 mos or less. Particularly given I will already have a big comfortable high end SUV in the garage with storage for all the kids stuff I am leaning hard towards the M3 right now.

Need to find a great dealer who will provide a fair price on a new order and then I think I'll make the call in the next few days.

The M3 sound was by far my biggest concern, and still is, but I am getting more and more convinced that the 2016/7 comp pack cars do sound better and there will be more and more aftermarket options coming soon so I think it can be addressed. I also followed a totally stock 2015 a few days ago and it sounded really good from my perspective of driving behind it.
      11-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

The m5 is just too big and heavy. The M3 zcp is just right. Get the manual, it's really good.

Consider this.... look at any old past model M5. They look dated and dowdy. Look at any older M3. They look as fresh as the day they were delivered.

The M3 is "just right". Always has been

The M5 is "forced". Always has been.

Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 2
BuzzE46147.00
      11-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #6
Mr Pete
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 Sharkwerks 4.1 GT3. E46 M3 comp. Tacoma

This is just my opinion, but these are 2 completely different cars. M5 just looks, and probably feels, substantially larger than a F80/82. Yes, the power figures can be enticing. For me, the M3 is the perfect sedan, as it has more than enough power, handles well, looks good, has more than adequate space for 3 kids. And most importantly, its not a gigantic boat (though the 3 series sedan seems to get bigger every generation change).

And the whole exhaust thing, I think there are some extremely aurally sensitive/picky people out there. My 16 M3 sounds fine to me. Loud on cold starts, but after the car is warmed up, sounds pretty good stock. If its not to your liking, plenty of diff aftermarket solutions, though they all sound pretty similar to me...

Either way, I think you'll be happy. But do you want the bigger vehicle with more power, or a slightly smaller vehicle (compared to the M5) with more than enough power to still make you happy (absolutely crazy that this generation M3 has 400+ hp and torque, forced induction or not)?

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

I wouldn't get an M5 out of principle right now. The new G30 5 series is out as of February and the upcoming M5 will be a monster. The G30 M 550 xDrive is already faster than the F10 M5. Adding all wheel drive to the M5 will make it faster than most supercars today. I expect BMW to make the AWD system have a rear bias too, so as to keep its fun nature.

If you're looking for something to have a lot of fun in, the M3 is your better bet. It's lighter, more nimble, etc. So it might be better for the fun stuff. The issue of sound is solved with a myriad of different aftermarket exhaust/turbo back options.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 05:26 PM   #8
Alpine Missile
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 (DCT w/ Comp. Pack)

Buy the '17 M3 Comp Pack. You won't regret it. I just bought mine and am blown away at how it drives. People don't realize how low and hunkered down the driving position is, especially for a sedan. Super comfy seats, extra power, awesome exhaust and they say (still breaking in mine) the rear differential has been recalibrated to a much better feel...
Like a journalist recently stated... it's an F1 car with four doors.
Appreciate 0