ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-22-2019, 05:08 AM   #1
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Installed my VRSF mid-pipe today, my last VRSF purchase!

Was looking for a mid-pipe to remove my 2nd set of cats.

Originally was going to order Turner mid-pipes but I decided to give VRSF a shot since they were a bit cheaper, heard good reviews about their downpipes and they don't make you jump through hoops to order if you live in CA. I was looking into VRSF for my charge pipes and downpipes as well...

Well, sadly I gotta say VRSF did me dirty. From my research, it seems like the first batch of these mid-pipes had issues with the flange being too thick and causing installation issues. That was a couple years ago and from what I gather they "fixed" all the subsequent pipes.

Ordered my pipe through a site sponsor and was directly shipped from VRSF. Upon installation, I came to the conclusion that they didn't do a damn thing to fix the flange issue. The flange is still way too thick, there is absolutely no way to bolt these to your factory downpipes. You need a torch or a press to remove 2 factory studs on the plate and replace them with longer bolts. On the other 2 that's on the downpipe flange, you need to cut them off and drill them out.

After cursing and hollering the whole time, here comes the cherry on top. The way the VRSF flange was made, it stepped down to a thinner part and there is a "wall" next to the holes, well once you get aftermarket hardware there is no way to fit the socket in because the "wall" is cut too close to the hole. Look at my picture below at the bolt and you'll see what I'm talking about. I had to grind down a mutherf*cken socket in order for it to fit. The bottom ones I can get with an open wrench but the top ones you need a socket.

7 hours later, everything is back together and finally finished.

Last edited by DanMpower; 11-25-2019 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 4
ntg442891.00
      08-22-2019, 05:56 AM   #2
depaulhifi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Bro, that sounds like way, waaayyyyy to much hassle to go through to make a pipe work. You should have sent them back the moment you realized they weren't going to fit out of the box. I had a similar issue with downpipes from a site sponsor (not VRSF) and as soon as I got word of the fitment issues, I reached out to the owner, sent some pics of the fitment issue, and he took them back no questions asked. IND dropped off a set of Eisenmann pipes that same day and they bolted right up on both the engine side and the AA midpipe side without issue.

Buyer beware when putting cheap parts on an expensive car.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [7.38]
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
So these were the dual midpipes and not their new single midpipe setup, correct? Wonder if this has been corrected on that item?

Also wondering if it might have been possible to grind out some clearance for a socket on those "shoulders"? Not that you should have to do this, but it may have helped somewhat. All in all, it's pretty disappointing, as I've used other VRSF components with no issues.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

That seems like a huge pain in the ass... in the end, you get what you paid for.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Weird I have the same VRSF midpipes and mine were installed with no issues in about 30 minutes by a reputable exhaust shop. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #6
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Weird I have the same VRSF midpipes and mine were installed with no issues in about 30 minutes by a reputable exhaust shop. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Unless they have a new batch and old stock mixed in I don't see how in the world it would fit. I even removed the gasket between the downpipe and mid-pipe as a test, clamped them together with vise grips and there was still barely any thread exposed to properly secure the nut. I'm pretty sure my pipe is from a newer batch since it has the VRSF logo on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #7
parky1215
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelM3 View Post
So these were the dual midpipes and not their new single midpipe setup, correct? Wonder if this has been corrected on that item?

Also wondering if it might have been possible to grind out some clearance for a socket on those "shoulders"? Not that you should have to do this, but it may have helped somewhat. All in all, it's pretty disappointing, as I've used other VRSF components with no issues.
Tiago@VRSF Can you confirm that new VRSF single midpipe has no such fitment issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 03:35 PM   #8
M3nmotion18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 IR ZCP BM3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.73]
2021 MINI COOPER  [10.00]
2023 GENESIS GV60  [10.00]
2017 LEXUS RX350  [10.00]
Thanks for sharing your experience!!.. Tiago please confirm the fitment issue!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #9
Weechard
M3
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW m3

OP, I assume you still have the stock oem downpipes? I don't believe these midpipes would be an issue paired with after market downpipes. I can see how you can run into issues when paired with stock downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 04:13 PM   #10
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weechard View Post
OP, I assume you still have the stock oem downpipes? I don't believe these midpipes would be an issue paired with after market downpipes. I can see how you can run into issues when paired with stock downpipes.
Yeah but VRSF says they should fit fine with stock downpipes...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #11
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
It looks like we overlooked the fact that folks with the OEM downpipes would be installing these themselves and I'll make sure the additional hardware is included with each kit to ensure this isn't an issue in the future.

With that said, this is the second revision of this product since it's conception and we have rectified the original flange issue that made it incompatible with certain downpipes. The OP's issue is specific to the hardware on his OEM downpipe.

I wish we would have been contacted about this directly so we could have better assisted the OP but I completely understand the frustration. We have a few dozen of these revised dual pipe version mid pipes in the wild and this while this is the first time we've encountered an issue we'll make sure it's the last.

I'm incredibly sorry for the inconvenience and we appreciate your feedback

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 08-23-2019 at 02:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #12
Weechard
M3
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
First of all, please stop spreading mis-information. The flange issue was corrected months ago, this issue was specific to the dual pipe version and the OP is creating a mountain out of a mole hill.

I wish we would have been contacted about this directly so we could have better assisted but the issue the OP is describing has nothing to do with the original flange issue. We have a few dozen of the revised dual pipe version in the wild and this is the first time I've heard a complaint. It's unfortunate that we've had to stumble upon it on a public forum but if we were contacted directly this could have been resolved in minutes.

Please keep in mind that the only modification the OP needed to make was the removal of the pressed in bolts on the OEM downpipes which will take any half decent shop less than 3-4 minutes.

I'm incredibly sorry for the inconvenience but any competent installer could have tackled this without drama
Tiago that maybe true in terms of a shop being able to remove the oem pressed in bolts relatively easy but if you look at the pictures posted it's clear he is doing it from jack stands on the ground and not a lift. One can also argue you can remove the oem downpipes to have more ease and comfort at removing the bolts but in order to properly remove the downpipes without twisting the o2 sensors you have to go from the top side of the engine bay... which is also a process.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 02:01 AM   #13
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First of all, please stop spreading mis-information. The flange issue was corrected months ago, this issue was specific to the dual pipe version and the OP is creating a mountain out of a mole hill.

I wish we would have been contacted about this directly so we could have better assisted but the issue the OP is describing has nothing to do with the original flange issue. We have a few dozen of the revised dual pipe version in the wild and this is the first time I've heard a complaint. It's unfortunate that we've had to stumble upon it on a public forum but if we were contacted directly this could have been resolved in minutes.

Please keep in mind that the only modification the OP needed to make was the removal of the pressed in bolts on the OEM downpipes which will take any half decent shop less than 3-4 minutes.

I'm incredibly sorry for the inconvenience but any competent installer could have tackled this without drama
Sorry you feel I need to contact you before posting a review, honestly, what would you have done to resolve my issue in "minutes"? Tell me to take it to a shop to install it instead? If your product requires a shop to install using specialized tools, maybe you should put a disclaimer on your product page, you should also add "additional hardware needed" because it certainly didn't come with replacement extended bolts/nuts/washers that the end-user must source themselves.

I would consider my self above average when it comes to being mechanically inclined and "competent" enough to install a mid-pipe (if they were designed correctly), I've been modifying and installing my own mods for over 23 years, I do all my own installs all from my garage. I don't work for a competitor, I paid with my own money for your product and I'm not going to filter my review.

On the positive side, the car sounds amazing with the mid-pipe and stock rear ZCP muffler. Overall I'm happy with the finished product but I would not recommend it to any DIYer's when there are other options out there that don't require you to take it to a "shop" to install if you are paring it with stock downpipes.

Last edited by DanMpower; 11-25-2019 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2019, 02:16 AM   #14
Danlnyc88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo

Can we get a video clip of the sound
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 02:39 AM   #15
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I can't apologize enough for the fact that you're experience was less than stellar. The reason we prefer a customer contact us directly for support in an instance where they struggle with an installation is simply so we can help them avoid any frustration throughout the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M and Ms View Post
Sorry you feel I need to contact you before posting a review, honestly, what would you have done to resolve my issue in "minutes"? Tell me to take it to a shop to install it instead? If your product requires a shop to install using specialized tools, maybe you should put a disclaimer on your product page, you should also add "additional hardware needed" because it certainly didn't come with replacement extended bolts/nuts/washers that the end-user must source themselves.
You're 100% entitled to reviewing the product rather than contacting us for assistance. I just wanted to make it clear that we could have alleviated a majority of the headache with an e-mail

Now to be clear, all mid pipe upgrades for the F8x platform require specialized tools to install. You have to cut the OEM mid pipe and you have to use additional hardware to adapt the new component to the OEM exhaust.

I know what it's like to get halfway through an install and have to run to the store to grab an extra component and I can't apologize again for the inconvenience. Please shoot over your order number and I'll be more than happy to credit you for the cost of the hardware along with a bit extra for the time required to appropriate said hardware.

Quote:
I would consider my self "competent" in installing mods, I've been modifying and installing my own mods for over 23 years, all from my garage. I don't work for a competitor, I paid with my own money for your product and I'm not going to filter my review.
Honestly I'm glad that you didn't filter the review because it gives us the opportunity to improve our product. We can't improve our product if we're not given honest feedback and I'm thankful for the support as well as the feedback.

Quote:
On the positive side, the car sounds amazing with the mid-pipe and stock rear ZCP muffler. Overall I'm happy with the finished product but I would not recommend it to any DIYer's when there are other options out there which don't require you to take it to a "shop" to install.
I'm glad you're happy with the finished product and I sincerely appreciate you giving our product a shot. While I understand you're not thrilled with the entire experience, I'm certainly going to ensure these issues aren't present in the future.

I'll make sure our guys add the extra hardware necessary to each kit for those installing this on the OEM downpipes.
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2019, 02:56 AM   #16
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weechard View Post
Tiago that maybe true in terms of a shop being able to remove the oem pressed in bolts relatively easy but if you look at the pictures posted it's clear he is doing it from jack stands on the ground and not a lift. One can also argue you can remove the oem downpipes to have more ease and comfort at removing the bolts but in order to properly remove the downpipes without twisting the o2 sensors you have to go from the top side of the engine bay... which is also a process.
You're 100% right, I've edited the original post.
Appreciate 1
blockdoc374.00
      08-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #17
M3ILANA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E36

appreciated the DYI review and the final impression of the product. but even more so - the initial unedited VRSF response. looks the like low cost reflects the low fit / quality AND low customer service. 👏
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #18
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [7.38]
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
Still waiting to hear if this problem is present with the single-midpipe version and OEM downpipes....

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #19
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Don’t buy this brands crap. Only hear positive of the downpipes .. everything else midpipes, Chargepipes, intakes are the worst in the business.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #20
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmf80 View Post
Don’t buy this brands crap. Only hear positive of the downpipes .. everything else midpipes, Chargepipes, intakes are the worst in the business.
Give me a break man. They offer steeply discounted items compared to the rest of the overpriced M taxed stuff out there and most people seem to really enjoy their products. A representative even came to this thread quickly, admitted the issue, and offered to compensate the OP for his troubles.
Appreciate 4
Smeargle174.00
blockdoc374.00
Kilabyte3957.50
      08-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #21
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Don't get too frustrated. I had to pay for labor twice for my AA midpipe. Once to install and the second time to fix the rattling from the midpipe rubbing against the center brace (common fitment issue).
      08-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #22
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
I can't apologize enough for the fact that you're experience was less than stellar. The reason we prefer a customer contact us directly for support in an instance where they struggle with an installation is simply so we can help them avoid any frustration throughout the install.

Quote:
You're 100% entitled to reviewing the product rather than contacting us for assistance. I just wanted to make it clear that we could have alleviated a majority of the headache with an e-mail

Now to be clear, all mid pipe upgrades for the F8x platform require specialized tools to install. You have to cut the OEM mid pipe and you have to use additional hardware to adapt the new component to the OEM exhaust.

I know what it's like to get halfway through an install and have to run to the store to grab an extra component and I can't apologize again for the inconvenience. Please shoot over your order number and I'll be more than happy to credit you for the cost of the hardware along with a bit extra for the time required to appropriate said hardware.

Quote:
I would consider my self "competent" in installing mods, I've been modifying and installing my own mods for over 23 years, all from my garage. I don't work for a competitor, I paid with my own money for your product and I'm not going to filter my review.
Honestly I'm glad that you didn't filter the review because it gives us the opportunity to improve our product. We can't improve our product if we're not given honest feedback and I'm thankful for the support as well as the feedback.

Quote:
On the positive side, the car sounds amazing with the mid-pipe and stock rear ZCP muffler. Overall I'm happy with the finished product but I would not recommend it to any DIYer's when there are other options out there which don't require you to take it to a "shop" to install.
I'm glad you're happy with the finished product and I sincerely appreciate you giving our product a shot. While I understand you're not thrilled with the entire experience, I'm certainly going to ensure these issues aren't present in the future.

I'll make sure our guys add the extra hardware necessary to each kit for those installing this on the OEM downpipes.
Way to handle this Tiago! Cheers
Appreciate 0