Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #23
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Like others have said if you don't intend to track the car maybe get a CP which is plenty fast for weekend fun. I don't really care about the 360 cameras, HK sound or comfort access and went with a CS but your mileage may vary. The deals on CS cars are pretty amazing right now that's for sure and it is a special car. The armrest is a non-issue, it will take very little time to forget about it but other creature comforts and missing tech might bother you. Go check it out and see if it sings to you.
      01-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #24
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
It's funny how every thread on the the CS turns into how those who don't have one say it's not worth it and those that do say it is .

I'll try not to fall into that trap by simply saying that it depends what you are looking for. BMW are starting to offer more levels of flavour to each of the ///M line-ups with the different trim levels. According to BMW own press material:
  • Base=Daily use + Racetrack
  • Competition= Daily use + Racetrack with enhanced performance
  • CS= Racetrack optimized + daily use
  • CSL(GTS)= Born for the Racetrack but still street legal (to drive to and from the track)
I think this sums it up pretty well .

You don't get the Competition Package "standard" with the CS, because the CS is another package altogether. What you do get with the CS package on the M4:
  • Engine tune +28/+9hp vs Base/CP and +38lb-ft of torque
  • Single walled welded on exhaust tips with ///M engraving (sound/cosmetics)
  • CFRP driveshaft (drivetrain rigidity/weight reduction)
  • CF front splitter (downforce)
  • CF Gurney flap (downforce)
  • CF hood (downforce, improved cooling, weight reduction)
  • 763M wheels 19" front 20" rear (weight reduction)
  • PSC2 tires 265/35R19 front 285/30R20 rear (improved grip, however PSS in the US )
  • Recalibrated ABS, DSC, EPS, EDC, DCT and e-diff, optimized for R-comp tires
  • Retuned suspension (CP springs and rear swaybar, base front swaybar -> reduced understeer)
  • Increased top speed limiter
  • Lightweight door cards with pull straps (weight reduction/reduced sound deadening)
  • Alcantara steering wheel (improved grip)
  • Seats with alcantara side bolsters (improved grip)
  • Single zone HVAC (weight reduction)
  • Center armrest deletion (improved elbow room/weight reduction)
  • Headreasts with M stripes (cosmetics)
  • Alcantara dashboard trim with CS engraving (cosmetics)
  • CF rear diffuser (cosmetics)
  • OLED tail lights (cosmetics)
  • CS door sills (cosmetics)
  • Exclusive Lime Rock Grey colour optional (cosmetics)

Now, from my own track rat perspective that wants to own a single fully warrantied car, the CS is a perfect fit for me. I daily my CS through all 4 seasons. I Drive it to work, to the store, take it on family outings/road trips with the wife and two kids, use it to haul material from the lumbar yard and more. Plus, it serves to fill my track addiction 20 to 25 days per year. So I guess I am the perfect target audience for the CS .

What I find makes the CS special from a performance standpoint is how small increments in every area, such as the suspension tuning, the increased power across the entire rev range, the lower weight, the improved aero and the retuned electronics (ABS, e-diff, EPS, DCT, EDC) optimized around track tires, have all been tuned to work in unison. The fact that I am 2 seconds faster at my local track compared to my previous M4 on the same tires is quite telling IMO. These improvement cannot be truly appreciated on a street only driven car. Further, elements such as the reduced sound deadening from the lighter door cards contribute to the overall driving experience. The CS still comes loaded with luxury and tech features. It is not that spartan. The lack of center armrest that so many complain about is a feature I actually appreciate as it provides improved elbow room to handle the steering on track. To me, the only slight annoyance, is the lack of comfort access. Having been pampered with such a feature for the previous 10 years, I still find myself tugging at a locked door handle on my CS even after 18 months of ownership. As for the power increases, it is much more substantial than the 9hp peak increase over the CP suggests. The power is increased over the entire rev range which results in close to 40hp gains at some RPM. The gain of accelerstion of the CS over the CP is greater than the gain of the CP over the base. See this thread for more details: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1376759

That being said, the base and competition package still offer great performance while offering more standard and optional comfort/luxury/tech items than the CS, which can make them better daily drivers to some. For instance, many of the driving aids are not offered on the CS. It is however important to point out that the CS comes standard with many features thay are optional on the base or CP variants. Further, the composition of the CS' executive package is quite different than the one of the other M4s, so you'll need to look up the details.

Features that cannot be had on the M4cs:
  • Comfort access
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Full leather doorcards
  • Dual zone climate control
  • Center armrest
  • Rear Center console HVAC vents
  • Surround view
  • HK sound system
  • Active blind spot detection
  • Driving assistance (collision avoidance)
  • Parking assistant (self parking)
  • Sunroof
  • Headlight washers
  • Rear sunblind (Canada only)
  • 6MT

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-26-2021 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 5
jmg18703.50
CSBM52721.00
ra2289305.50
      01-11-2020, 08:00 AM   #25
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
My $0.02 OP is get a ‘15 m3 with 6mt and some choice mods (full coilovers, wheels) already on the car for cheap, versus paying the big premium for a factory setup.
This has been my thought lately as I am not happy with the DCT and want to get back into a manual F80. I'm drawn to the ZCP cars (killer package, I've owned 2 of them) but the ZCP M3s are holding their value like crazy and are MUCH more expensive than a base '15.

Coilovers, wheels and CS coding (steering, diff) and you'd have a great package for cheap.

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 11:40 PM   #26
CaroleBaskin
Big Cat Rescue
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M4CS - Lime Rock Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
It's funny how every thread on the the CS turns into how those who don't have one say it's not worth it and those that do say it is .

I'll try not to fall into that trap by simply saying that it depends what you are looking for. BMW are starting to offer more levels of flavour to each of the ///M line-ups with the different trim levels. According to BMW own press material:
  • Base=Daily use + Racetrack
  • Competition= Daily use + Racetrack with enhanced performance
  • CS= Racetrack optimized + daily use
  • CSL(GTS)= Born for the Racetrack but still street legal (to drive to and from the track)
I think this sums it up pretty well .

You don't get the Competition Package "standard" with the CS, because the CS is another package altogether. What you get with the CS package on the M4:
  • Engine tune +28/+9hp vs Base/CP and +38lb-ft of torque
  • CFRP driveshaft (drivetrain rigidity/weight reduction)
  • CF front splitter (downforce)
  • CF Gurney flap (downforce)
  • CF hood (downforce, improved cooling, weight reduction)
  • CF diffuser (cosmetics)
  • 763M wheels 19" front 20" rear (weight reduction)
  • PSC2 tires 265/35R19 front 285/30R20 rear (PSS in the US )
  • Retuned suspension (CP springs and rear swaybars, base front swaybar)
  • Recalibrated ABS, DSC, EPS, EDC, DCT and e-diff, optimized for R-comp tires
  • Increased top speed limiter
  • Lightweight door cards with pull straps (weight reduction/reduced sound deadening)
  • Alcantara steering wheel (improved grip)
  • Seats with alcantara side bolsters (improved grip)
  • Single zone HVAC (weight reduction)
  • Center armrest deletion (improved elbow room/weight reduction)
  • Headreasts with M stripes (cosmetics)
  • Alcantara dashboard trip (cosmetics)
  • CF rear diffuser (cosmetics)
  • OLED tail lights (cosmetics)
  • CS door sills (cosmetics)
  • Exclusive Lime Rock Grey colour optional (cosmetics)

Now, from my own track rat perspective that wants to own a single fully warrantied car, the CS is a perfect fit for me. I daily my CS through all 4 seasons. I Drive it to work, to the store, take it on family outings/road trips with the wife and two kids, use it to haul material from the lumbar yard and more. Plus, it serves to fill my track addiction 20 to 25 days per year. So I guess I am the perfect target audience for the CS .

What I find makes the CS special from a performance standpoint is how small increments in every area, such as the suspension tuning, the increased power across the entire rev range, the lower weight, the improved aero and the retuned electronics (ABS, e-diff, EPS, DCT, EDC) optimized around track tires, have all been tuned to work in unison. The fact that I am 2 seconds faster at my local track compared to my previous M4 on the same tires is quite telling IMO. These improvement cannot be truly appreciated on a street only driven car. Further, elements such as the reduced sound deadening from the lighter door cards contribute to the overall driving experience. The CS still comes loaded with luxury and tech features. It is not that spartan. The lack of center armrest that so many complain about is a feature I actually appreciate as it provides improved elbow room to handle the steering on track. To me, the only slight annoyance, is the lack of comfort access. Having been pampered with such a feature for the previous 10 years, I still find myself tugging at a locked door handle on my CS even after 18 months of ownership. As for the power increases, it is much more substantial than the 9hp peak increase over the CP suggests. The power is increased over the entire rev range which results in close to 40hp gains at some RPM. The gain of accelerstion of the CS over the CP is greater than the gain of the CP over the base. See this thread for more details: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1376759

That being said, the base and competition package still offer great performance while offering more standard and optional comfort/luxury/tech items than the CS, which can make them better daily drivers to some. For instance, many of the driving aids are not offered on the CS. It is however important to point out that the CS comes standard with many features thay are optional on the base or CP variants. Further, the composition of the CS' executive package is quite different than the one of the other M4s, so you'll need to look up the details.

Features that cannot be had on the M4cs:
  • Comfort access
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Full leather doorcards
  • Dual zone climate control
  • Center armrest
  • Rear Center console HVAC vents
  • Surround view
  • HK sound system
  • Active blind spot detection
  • Driving assistance (collision avoidance)
  • Parking assistant (self parking)
  • Sunroof
  • Headlight washers
  • Rear sunblind (Canada only)
  • 6MT
Hands down the most detailed post ever.
Appreciate 0